Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 01:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Heres the topic i was referring to where oddly post 82 is the last we hear of the very active poster and op Kansasturtle then on post 97 up pops our anti monarchist drknoble to continue for another 22 pages of trying to bash Canada.. Seems just too obvious to me..
http://www.city-data.com/forum/canad...l#post27649476
I remember that thread. Polar bear farming, wasn't it?

I've reread kansasturtle and drknoble and I still don't think they are the same person. Kansasturtle doesn't have many posts to his name, and he would drop articles leading me to believe that English was not his first language. Since it is information he posted himself on the Missouri board thread, he is Asian, but American-born and lived for a few years in an Asian city. I thought perhaps English was not his first language. It is not mine either and so maybe I am more aware of the difference between simple spelling errors and when people 'give themselves away' in the heat of the moment of posting. I am sure that I have done the same thing from time to time when German sentence structure has affected my English sentences. It happens mostly when I am tired.

I don't know if quoting posts from other boards here is permissible so I won't.

And kansasturtle joined two years before drknoble. His last "activity" was July 5.

Drknoble has affected a kind of staccato style of writing in all his posts and has never dropped an article that I could find. Kansasturtle was more colloquial in his way of writing. (Yes, I have an inner grammar/spelling police side to me but I try never to let it show on the boards ) I don't think drknoble would ever write "coz" for "because."

I guess the sad (?) thing is that if not for his confrontational approach, debating the monarchy (assuming enough people would be interested) would have been a nice thread. Tarp and Nuala, as well as others, had their points of view as Canadian residents, which I certainly don't begrudge them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I guess the sad (?) thing is that if not for his confrontational approach, debating the monarchy (assuming enough people would be interested) would have been a nice thread. Tarp and Nuala, as well as others, had their points of view as Canadian residents, which I certainly don't begrudge them.
You are right this may have been fodder for a good debate however when you start off a topic with an in your face attitude=

Quote:
Why have you Canadians allowed for your country to contradict itself with such a undemocratic, primitive, and shameful practice? Anyone who supports that ridiculous monarchy is basically saying they're against equality, justice, secularism, democracy, freedom, and plain ol' common sense.
You just know there wont be much debate going on just the op expressing over and over his agenda of hate for a symbolic cultural relic from another country's past.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:45 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Debating a topic stopped on the first page. His original post asked the question why. He got a bunch of answers that all answered that question adequately enough.

He has now gone onto accusing anyone who stands on the ground of ambivilance towards the monarchy as "loving" it.

One cannot debate with people such as that. They use emotive adjectives like spray paint.

His diatribe ran it's course before this thread had comprised but three pages, yet here we are at 44 and counting, with all of the foregoing being merely repeated ad-infinitum.

We're a tenacious lot to be sure.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

His diatribe ran it's course before this thread had comprised but three pages, yet here we are at 44 and counting, with all of the foregoing being merely repeated ad-infinitum.

44 pages eh? is this topic worthy of even more pages .?, i got a great idea lets just.....

Old 07-29-2013, 08:00 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
44 pages of us wasting our time trying to debate or respond to someone who doesn't want to debate or read our responses. He could care less about Canada's ties to the British monarchy. He's just here to bother people. I think he'll melt away once we stop responding to him.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Yep; I am my own worst enemy when it comes to that ability. Have suggested the same thing but then he'll post something that twists my knickers and off I go on another quest looking for the lost relevance necklace.

I'll promise to try really, really, hard to ignore the drk one! There's always the slim possibility Netwit might be right about the Kansasturtle linkage but it would be nice to see this guy's posts solely on the Canadian site, looking to stir chit, subsequently ignored to see if/who he becomes in an attempt to once again regain a little 'acrimony' traction.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,842 times
I don't know if this has already been mentioned but Australia is a Commonwealth country and people acquiring Australian citizenship don't have to swear allegiance to the Queen but to Australia and its people. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:50 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I thought for a brief time they were simultaneous. If a poster seems, um, shall we say peculiar to me, I try to read a few of their other posts elsewhere, and drknoble has alway had this monarchy fixation but kansasturtle was different. I didn't reread kansasturtle today, but that was my impression at the time.
I actually hadn't even thought of Kansasturtle; I had another poster in mind. Although if there were any association there, that'd be doubly embarrassing, because Kansas is the state I consider home. Then again, looking at some of the folks we have back there...

Old 07-29-2013, 09:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,455,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Debating a topic stopped on the first page. His original post asked the question why. He got a bunch of answers that all answered that question adequately enough.

He has now gone onto accusing anyone who stands on the ground of ambivilance towards the monarchy as "loving" it.

One cannot debate with people such as that. They use emotive adjectives like spray paint.
That's how trolling works. I know the mentality well, not merely from boards but from RL. It depends purely on continuing to make jabs that will draw people into the troll's orbit. This is why I talk over trolls, not to them, and take no direct note or recognition of any specific statement they make once identified--it's what drives them crazy. If you look at the increased singling-out of me for more provocative language, that's Troll 101. Every time troll words get quoted as if they had some legitimacy, they consider that they got a little 'win.' It's juvenile, but it's a known online personality type. Only a high-functioning troll pretends to be starting a serious discussion with demeaning, calculatedly provocative language such as what began this thread. An intellectually honest approach would have used unprovocative language meant to spur discussion rather than annoyance.

Analogy: imagine the bratty little boy in the next booth at the restaurant who constantly pops up and tries to make funny faces at you, while you talk to your dinner companion who sits just in front of him, unaware that the little creature is one foot from her head. He just wants a little attention, and if he doesn't get it, he ratchets it up. It's hard not to look up at him, his parents won't intervene unless he makes physical contact, and he has nothing productive to offer.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:29 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknoble View Post
If it's legal on paper, then it can be legally enforced. I'm saying close the loophole now because this outdated institution makes Canada a laughing stock every time it shows up.
Canada? Canada is the laughingstock of the world? Not the other 53 countries in the Commonwealth?
Ummm, OK. Canada...the land of happy, healthy people, the most educated populace, with the strongest banking system on earth is a laughingstock?
You're adorable.
It sounds like you're jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada