Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 10:56 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Actually anyone who may disagree with the Monarchy have likely done one of two things.

1) Not commented for fear of being associated with your ranting

2) Don't care enough to worry about it, as it is not an issue of the slightest merit in the current environment.
Exactly. I get the impression drknobletroll thinks that all Canadians are monarchists. I know many who aren't. I am on the fence about it myself.
The thing that doesn't happen in Canada, at least I've never witnessed it, are Canadians yelling and calling each other names because someone is or isn't a monarchist.

The original question about immigrants does raise ones hackles because having non-Canadians who chose to come to Canada and try to change Canadian oaths before they are Canadian is insulting. It goes beyond the monarchy debate of whether we should have one or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 11:47 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Actually anyone who may disagree with the Monarchy have likely done one of two things.

2) Don't care enough to worry about it, as it is not an issue of the slightest merit in the current environment.
Just another zombie monarchist I see. Be free! Help your former countrymen throw off the chains of oppression!

Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Just another zombie monarchist I see. Be free! Help your former countrymen throw off the chains of oppression!
I defected. I ran to the low cost, high wage, healthcare wasteland that is the U.S.

My ultimate goal is to be installed as the new King in the unwashed southern wild. You know what they say... Once you've been under a Monarch, something something clever that rhymes with Monarch!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:37 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,858,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I hadn't heard of this. Is the word 'Royal' being added back to the name? (I suppose in a sense it never was, since if memory serves, the word was dropped when you unified the services, and was not attached to the Army to begin with. But you get my meaning.)

Of course, there's a lot of monarchical reference surviving in Canadian military naming, beginning of course with the prefix to your warships' names. So many Canadian regiments refer back to monarchy and/or have Colonels-in-Chief among the Royal family.
Yes, the "Royal" title has been given back to our armed forces. Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, etc. It was Harper's idea, part of his larger initiative to re-establish Canada's symbolic ties with the British monarchy. This is not the kind of thing I like or agree with.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,500 times
So what is the difference between a Monarch and a President ? one does notice that the US military swear to obey the president of the USA.
Even if the US presidents children do avoid all combat, unless Bush was taking on the mighty NVA air force over Texas.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Yes, the "Royal" title has been given back to our armed forces. Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal Canadian Navy, etc. It was Harper's idea, part of his larger initiative to re-establish Canada's symbolic ties with the British monarchy. This is not the kind of thing I like or agree with.
Another example is the return of portraits of the Queen to federal government buildings all over the place. Most notably in the main lobby of the Foreign Affairs building in Ottawa where works of art by a Canadian artist were taken down and put into storage and replaced with a large portrait of Her Majesty.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:28 PM

557 posts, read 672,903 times
Quote:
Maybe you should look up my first post in this thread. I said pretty clearly that I want Canada's ties with the British monarchy cut. Besides, what do you hope to accomplish on this forum? If the issue is so important to you, petition the Canadian government or something. Don't think you're making a difference posting in a forum about Canada on the Internet.
Someone who truly believes that would not post this:

Quote:
I can't help myself. I'm Canadian by birth. It's in the air. We just love our monarchs. Let tyranny ring! As long as it's the Crown with the bell!
or this:

Quote:
Drnoble, did you not know that in England (and Canada, by default, as we are all the willing subjects of the Crown) Kings and Queens have the divine right to rule over their people. We Canadians believe in this kind of tradition, and we will defend it on Internet forums everywhere. I mean, God gave the British Crown it's authority over me! Who am I to argue with God? We Canadians know our place in the grand scheme of things, and as God-fearing people, I thought Americans would too. You've really disappointed me, drnoble. I mean, if you're not going to obey God's anointed ruler on Earth, who are you going to listen to? Sigh.
For someone who claims to agree with my position, you're doing a heck of a lot to persuade me from speaking out against monarchy. And doing very little to encourage support for equality and democracy.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:

1) You're proving my point. If you don't bow down before monarchy, you're labeled a ranting lunatic.

2) Apparently enough people care, which is why there's a pending court case.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It seems you're finally waking up to be a living, breathing human again. That's the ticket. You can do it!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
So what is the difference between a Monarch and a President ? one does notice that the US military swear to obey the president of the USA.
Even if the US presidents children do avoid all combat, unless Bush was taking on the mighty NVA air force over Texas.
You can't be serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada