U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 01:00 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Nope, and I wouldn't want to although I have had the opportunity on more than one occassion. Over the past 50 years I've taken many road trips all over the States and it's always been an interesting place to visit but I feel more comfortable and safer living on this side of the border. Here if I want to go wandering off to the corner store late at night I'm not concerned about some paranoid vigilante neighbourhood watch guy with a gun stalking me and killing me even after the police have told him to stand down.

If it pleases you to believe that then have at it. I'm happy for you and your increased peace of mind.

So you haven't lived here but you act like what it's like to live here?

It's hilarious how so many of you are so convincined you know everything about America and you know exactly what life is like here but really you guys are pretty damn clueless that i can't stop laughing hearing a Canadian attempt to tell me how my country is and how I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 01:07 AM

7,273 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Laughter is good for you, it's a very healthy thing for your body, mind and spirit and laughter is always better than anger and violence. Laugh away at us hilarious Canadians and I will cheer you on.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:13 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,732,030 times
Quote:
Laughter is good for you, it's a very healthy thing for your body, mind and spirit. Laugh away at us hilarious Canadians and I will cheer you on.

It's laughter at first which later turns to disappointment that you hear so much ignorance coming from a nation that is suppose to be one of the most educated countries in the world.

Old 07-16-2013, 01:50 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Ignorance from Canadians, I swear Canadians think they know America better then their own people lol. Did you know each state has different laws?

Quote:
We dont need your take, or it would be just another American content topic on the issue something we are getting ad nauseum on every forum and every American news media outlet.why not just sit back and see if you can detect any differences from another countries perspective, we appreciate your need to guide us in our discussions but its really not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Jambo; I believe you may be expecting too much to petition the solicitation of "Canadian perspective" with that being explicit enough for most, without giving a more in-depth definition and disclaimer for the benefit of those who read anything perceived as less than flattering towards a populace and cannot resist the temptation to fire a broadside.

I'm the perfect example of that from the "canadian perspective".

I suspect you've inadvertently tapped into a well-spring of those such as myself, but from the other side of the aisle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
The thread is actually about a homicide that was: 1. Committed beyond Canadian borders, 2. not litigated in the Canadian justice system, and 3. not prosecuted/defended in Canada's socio-political realm. How much perspective could you people possibly have aside from what I strongly sense to be "wow, racist American gun-nut shoots someone; this wouldn't have happened if Americans didn't have so much social freedom to own firearms; the laws are too lenient; the laws caused this crime (how wonderful that we Canadians have stricter gun laws); the Second Amendment is a culprit in U.S. gun deaths (i.e. Trayvon Martin); justice was not served to a victim of gun violence; blah; blah; blah.

And sure, you bet, that could also summarize the perspective of many an American dumba*s--it isn't just you guys, but the difference here is that even these dolts on the lower side of the 49th are closer to the culture, and, whether they like it or not, are part of it. You guys aren't. You guys are the other. MYOB.

At least that's my take.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well, I think most Canadians probably do think justice was NOT served to Treyvon Martin and his family. Sorry for having compassion for human life.......But I doubt most Canadians think Americans laws are to lenient, No other country locks up so many of its own citizens in prison as mush as Americans do. Doesn't seem very lenient at all.

Guns are meant to kill, so.... to protect people guns laws are just common sense. Has very little to do with "social freedoms". Americans like to talk about freedom alot, but If America was so free, why do so manyAmericans feel the need to carry a gun at all? Here in Canada I NEVER felt the need to carry a gun, I dont know anyone that does, And I never worry about a gun being pulled on Me! I go where I please with out worrying, now thats real freedom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
See you're Canadian, you don't understand our culture.
we appreciate the freedoms we have and being able to legally have the option to carry a firearm for whatever reason is important for a lot of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Rarely, if ever, do Canadians hone in on a U.S.-specific issue after having received some sort of invitation--they just do, and flagrantly so. As long as my comments remain mostly relevant to the "Canadian take on the Zimmerman verdict", I'm just as welcome here as anyone else.

I'm here to criticize this so-called Canadian perspective, jambo. Is it really so much trouble for you to, uhh, defend your perspective rather than relentlessly accuse me of not understanding what you've so blatantly illustrated since the beginning of this thread?
Jambo, I think you've missed the fact that this thread is clearly a very clever allegory of the Martin/Zimmerman case. You (the 'Travon' character), start a thread on a Canadian perspective, on a Canadian forum, and specifically ask for Canadian viewpoints (aka walking down the street with skittles in your pocket, minding your own business), and up from nowhere pops Cali with an insult, and the next thing you know you're standing your ground and get shot in the head by the Zimmerman characters who have some sort of idea in their heads of what they think Canadians think, even though, up to Cali's post, most posts by Canadians were pro-Zimmerman.

And you're originally from Florida, aren't you? I didn't follow the case and have no particular interest in the case, but I can see why an ex-pat would.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:04 AM

34,423 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

And you're originally from Florida, aren't you? I didn't follow the case and have no particular interest in the case, but I can see why an ex-pat would.
My sole intention for the topic was to give a Canadian take on the issue as every where i look i'm only seeing the American perspective, Seems Americans just cant help themselves and have to barge into this topic for Canadians as well..
Yeah 20 years in St Pete Fla. But for the last 35 years a proud Canadian living in Montreal.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-16-2013 at 02:18 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 07:04 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,276,508 times
Net wit:

You sir, nailed it.

Well said, and I give you a plus 5 on your ability to see the overall lay of the land.

As we say in the military world, Bravo Zulu.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:55 AM

18,309 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Jambo, I think you've missed the fact that this thread is clearly a very clever allegory of the Martin/Zimmerman case. You (the 'Travon' character), start a thread on a Canadian perspective, on a Canadian forum, and specifically ask for Canadian viewpoints (aka walking down the street with skittles in your pocket, minding your own business), and up from nowhere pops Cali with an insult, and the next thing you know you're standing your ground and get shot in the head by the Zimmerman characters who have some sort of idea in their heads of what they think Canadians think, even though, up to Cali's post, most posts by Canadians were pro-Zimmerman.

Wonderful!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:27 PM

72,064 posts, read 83,719,346 times
Quote:
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.
Maybe you are getting just one side of the story or maybe that is all you want to hear.. ? From what we know and that is all; none of us were there, Zimmerman was protecting himself as someone decided, for whatever reason to beat the heck out of him. What happened before the actually fight, we will never know.

BTW: he didn't just get his nose bloodied, he got it broken and his head was being banged against the cement, I think any of us would have reacted anyway we could to protect ourselves. 2 hot heads, met face to face, unfortunately one died because of this and one will spend the rest of his life remembering that night.

As for no proof TM was going to continue to bang Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk, what would your expect Zimmerman to do, stop and say, hey kid are you going to continue to bang my head or are you planning to stop in a few seconds?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:03 PM

7,273 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

As for no proof TM was going to continue to bang Zimmerman's head against the sidewalk, what would your expect Zimmerman to do, stop and say, hey kid are you going to continue to bang my head or are you planning to stop in a few seconds?
I've asked this question at least once already and gotten no answer.

How did Zimmerman get himself into a position that provoked Martin to beat on him?

We know that Zimmerman called the police and told them that he was following Martin and the police told him not to do that, to back off. So why didn't Zimmerman stop following Martin, and how did Martin even know Zimmerman was there unless Zimmerman brought himself to Martin's attention?

What's Zimmerman's story about how he ended up being close enough to get into a physical altercation with Martin?

Old 07-16-2013, 01:20 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,282,985 times
Quote:
I've asked this question at least once already and gotten no answer.

How did Zimmerman get himself into a position that provoked Martin to beat on him?

We know that Zimmerman called the police and told them that he was following Martin and the police told him not to do that, to back off. So why didn't Zimmerman stop following Martin, and how did Martin even know Zimmerman was there unless Zimmerman brought himself to Martin's attention?

What's Zimmerman's story about how he ended up being close enough to get into a physical altercation with Martin?

I spent 10 years as a 911 dispatcher.

What Zimmerman did, was pretty common. He was told to back off, and he didn't. People get into the heat of the moment and he certainly had a vigilante attitude. I would say most people continue on when told not to!

The issue is whatever led to that moment, does not negate that Zimmerman (according to the jury) reasonably feared for his life at that moment and was justified to defend himself.

Not to compare this directly, but when a cop yells at a hooker to get off the street, and she doesn't, and she gets into a brawl with a 'date', and she kills in self-defence, her street-walking is an example of poor judgement (which the prosecution/defence may focus on), but it does not absolve the moment of fear at that particular moment of the brawl itself.

If that makes sense...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or