U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 12:44 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,920,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1282 View Post
No you can protect yourself if you feel threaten
And you can reasonably feel threatened if you see a black kid walking through your neighborhood on his way home from 7-Eleven, if he is wearing a hoodie. Dead black kid in a hoodie = self-defense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
For weeks now we've been subjected to this Zimmerman case, before that the Boston bombings, but a train gets loose in Quebec wipes out the best part of a town along with 50-60 people and not a mention of it on the American news.
It was mentioned. Happy now?

Canada train derailment's number of missing rises to 60 - CBS News

Old 07-20-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Yes, it's such injustice that a person defended himself with lethal force when he was jumped and was being continually beaten suffering a broken nose and lacerations to the head. Zimmerman should have just taken the beating, even if it would ultimately result in his death. What a racist guy.
Maybe he should have just taken the advice of the 911 dispatcher. But that would be too easy, and nobody would be dead, and Americans love death.

Dispatcher: Are you following him?

Zimmerman: Yeah

Dispatcher: OK, we don't need you to do that.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
I'll just point out that in Canada, a juror CANNOT speak publically, either in person, or on video or audio tape, about the deliberations that went on in the jury room. It is against the Criminal Code to do that, here. They are specifically forbidden to do that, for a very good reason.............as we can see in the USA, jurors speaking out are a source of riots and further violence, by idiots in the streets.

Jurors, in Canada, also cannot write about what went on in the jury deliberations, under pain of charges of "contempt of court ". I think that is a much more sensible situation, compared to the fiascos that occur in the States. The names of all jurors in Canadian jury trials are covered by a publication ban, automatically issued by the court in which the trial is being held. And that ban stands in perpetuity.

Jin B.
Just curious what are the penalties in Canada if a juror decides to talk publicly about what went on in the jury room? Would they actually send them to jail?

Interesting, we still have grand juries here in the US who's proceedings are secret, and the jurors are not allowed to discuss the cases. But I can't think of any case where grand jurors were ever prosecuted for going public with grand jury information. And I can think of a few cases, especially related to government corruption where some grand jury members did speak out.

Personally I'm a big fan of freedom of speech. I think freedom of speech should be almost unlimited. If we don't have freedom to discuss what ever we we wish, then I don't think we have any freedom at all. Knowledge is freedom.

Also jurors speaking out was not the source of the riots and violence, you mention above. The situation is much more complicated then that, and that violence would have occurred regardless. Anyway if it comes down to riots and violence or losing my freedom of speech, I'll take the riots. Freedom of speech is too important to me.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:34 PM

1,630 posts, read 2,834,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
60 dead civilians in Canada = a story published on an American news website.
60 dead civilians in America = 24-hour coverage, commentary on TV, newspapers, Internet. Funerals broadcast live on cable. Obama on my TV set bemoaning the tragedy. At least a week of not being able to avoid hearing about American tragedy despite living in Canada.

Some lives are worth more than others in the ratings game.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:38 PM

103 posts, read 138,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Just curious what are the penalties in Canada if a juror decides to talk publicly about what went on in the jury room? Would they actually send them to jail?

Interesting, we still have grand juries here in the US who's proceedings are secret, and the jurors are not allowed to discuss the cases. But I can't think of any case where grand jurors were ever prosecuted for going public with grand jury information. And I can think of a few cases, especially related to government corruption where some grand jury members did speak out.

Personally I'm a big fan of freedom of speech. I think freedom of speech should be almost unlimited. If we don't have freedom to discuss what ever we we wish, then I don't think we have any freedom at all. Knowledge is freedom.

Also jurors speaking out was not the source of the riots and violence, you mention above. The situation is much more complicated then that, and that violence would have occurred regardless. Anyway if it comes down to riots and violence or losing my freedom of speech, I'll take the riots. Freedom of speech is too important to me.
I support freedom of speech but there has to be a limit by that i mean you should not be able to bash someone left and right make thing up that ends up costing them there job etc.

Old 07-20-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do you have a theory why violent crime has been in decline all over the country?
Why is it so difficult for you gun people to answer one simple question, rather then answering it with another question? Why if guns keep us so safe, is the rate of violent crime 2 x more in the US, then in Canada? You can't answer that, because you know it is not true. Guns do not keep people safe. They just result in more deaths. Thats a fact backed up by statistics.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:15 PM

34,534 posts, read 41,688,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
jambo, you're way off base, and the jury has already spoken. The kid attacked Zimmerman. He wasn't an innocent young kid. He was a 17 year old monster.
With the evidence presented the jury rendered its decision, we can now only accept,speculate or disagree with many aspects of that decision.
Too many stories like this one make me very skeptical of the Zimmerman side of the story..
http://politicalblindspot.org/martia...immerman-lied/

Last edited by jambo101; 07-20-2013 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
60 dead civilians in Canada = a story published on an American news website.
60 dead civilians in America = 24-hour coverage, commentary on TV, newspapers, Internet. Funerals broadcast live on cable. Obama on my TV set bemoaning the tragedy. At least a week of not being able to avoid hearing about American tragedy despite living in Canada.

Some lives are worth more than others in the ratings game.
I don't know, I don't watch TV. I get all my news on the internet from various US and international sources. So I can only speak for how news is covered on news websites. That story seems to me to have gotten significant coverage equally from US and other international media. I'm sure it was covered more in Canada.

I see evidence that it was covered extensively by CNN. I'm pretty sure there was a good amount of their 24 hour coverage devoted to it.

Head of MMA Railway Is Most Despised Person In Québec Amisdt Lac Mégantic Oil Train Explosion - YouTube

Old 07-20-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
I support freedom of speech but there has to be a limit by that i mean you should not be able to bash someone left and right make thing up that ends up costing them there job etc.
I guess my point would be, that if jurors don't have the right to speak out about what went on in the jury room, then we as a society can't even evaluate our legal system.

For example if one juror comes forward and says that they had to vote one way because the other jurors wouldn't follow the judge's instructions, then the public needs to know that information. It tells us that the justice system did not work in that case, and maybe we need to make adjustments to improve it. If the juror speaking out also causes a riot, then so what? Most riots are caused by sports matches, but we don't ban sports because of the threat of riots. So why should we ban jurors from speaking, just because it might cause a riot.

At least a riot over a legal decision, can bring social change. A sports riot is just pointless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or