U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:17 PM

3,402 posts, read 4,459,175 times

Advertisements

My perspective is: I know nothing about the actual case, so yeah, he could very well be innocent under the local law. Buuuuut, I don't (quelle surprise!) think anyone would've died without the presence of a gun. The USA has an insanely selfish gun culture that needs reworking.

Cry all you want. I, and most of the rest of the developed world will always stand in bewilderment as to why you think you need a gun to feel safe in a highly developed country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 08:44 PM

564 posts, read 880,014 times
My perspective is that Florida is an embarrassment to an otherwise civilized and advanced country. The verdict didn't suprise me, but it disappointed me. But it's Florida, were they operate in an entirely different reality.

This kid did nothing wrong and stood up for himself when "profiled" by an over-eager, wanna-be cowboy. Of course he was pissed, and of course most white people don't know how that feels and thus can't identify with his frustration. But Zimmerman didn't testify (smart move by his lawyers; he had been caught in contraditions and lies with his story before) so we are stuck with this outcome.

My gut tells me this shooting was entirely fear-based. The kid probably did have the upper hand as the physical confrontation escalated and Zimmerman probably did believe he was going to be killed, like he assumed the kid was only in the neighborhood to commit a crime. He didnt see a kid, he saw a symbol of everything he feared and despised.

I think Zimmerman is either mentally ill or has serious psychological issues. There is something "off" about him.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:37 PM

12,347 posts, read 10,352,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We have no proof that the young boy would have continued to beat up Zimmerman until he was dead just because he saw this guy following him or just going in the same direction.
Also it was stated in the trial that Zimmerman had extensive martial arts training, obviously MRZ chose to shoot the kid instead of fighting back..
Obviously we can speculate forever but it seems odd to me that a street wise Florida kid like Treyvon wouldnt have thought the potential for this guy to have a gun was a real possibility and just maybe Treyvon saw this guy with a gun coming after him and it was in fact Treyvon fighting for his life after getting the impression Zimmerman was going to shoot him...

Why don't you keep your nose out of our affairs. If this was a Canadian issue and Americans created a thread about it, you hypocrites in Canada would be screaming.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:39 PM

12,347 posts, read 10,352,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
My perspective is that Florida is an embarrassment to an otherwise civilized and advanced country. The verdict didn't suprise me, but it disappointed me. But it's Florida, were they operate in an entirely different reality.

This kid did nothing wrong and stood up for himself when "profiled" by an over-eager, wanna-be cowboy. Of course he was pissed, and of course most white people don't know how that feels and thus can't identify with his frustration. But Zimmerman didn't testify (smart move by his lawyers; he had been caught in contraditions and lies with his story before) so we are stuck with this outcome.

My gut tells me this shooting was entirely fear-based. The kid probably did have the upper hand as the physical confrontation escalated and Zimmerman probably did believe he was going to be killed, like he assumed the kid was only in the neighborhood to commit a crime. He didnt see a kid, he saw a symbol of everything he feared and despised.

I think Zimmerman is either mentally ill or has serious psychological issues. There is something "off" about him.

Doesn't seem to stop all the Canadians fleeing your frozen wasteland in the winter to spend time in the sun in Florida does it.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:09 AM

34,479 posts, read 41,610,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Why don't you keep your nose out of our affairs. If this was a Canadian issue and Americans created a thread about it, you hypocrites in Canada would be screaming.
Odd how you cant grasp the simple concept of the "Canadian perspective"
As for your comment "Why don't you keep your nose out of our affairs"?
thats rather hypocritical coming from a citizen of a country that has its nose in every ones affairs world wide,including our Canadian section of the forum in a topic meant solely for Canadians..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-15-2013 at 02:32 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 02:55 AM

2,190 posts, read 1,762,605 times
Quote:
Why don't you keep your nose out of our affairs....
Be glad to. Perhaps you might inform the American OP of the following linked thread that we in Canada are pretty happy with the way things are, and we don't need an American to tell us what we ought to do. Y'know, keeping out of one's affairs, and all:

Why do Canadian immigrants have to swear an oath to the British Queen?

Thanks so much!

Old 07-15-2013, 08:22 AM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,970,129 times
Quote:
Doesn't seem to stop all the Canadians fleeing your frozen wasteland in the winter to spend time in the sun in Florida does it.
Canada is far from a frozen wasteland. Some parts of the country only get the occassional freeze (Southern Vancouver Island). We have some of the most arable land in the world. You Americans have your giant desert, we have the Canadian Shield. The majority of the provinces of BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island are covered with rich soil perfect for farming, and Ontario and Quebec are two of the largest provinces in the world, with their fertile southern regions are larger than most of your states.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:32 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,330,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Canada is far from a frozen wasteland.
Dude, seriously... Have you spent any time here outside of May through September? We get 8 months of winter in this county, and I live in the GTA!

Let's try to keep this intellectually honest, shall we?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 AM

1,593 posts, read 2,824,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Dude, seriously... Have you spent any time here outside of May through September? We get 8 months of winter in this county, and I live in the GTA!

Let's try to keep this intellectually honest, shall we?
I can't agree with you about having eight months of winter in the GTA. And it has little to do with this debate anyways, so your opinions about it have nothing to do with keeping the debate intellectually honest. In fact, I'm a little confused by your post and the reasons for it - Canada's weather has nothing to do with this debate, so why would an offhand comment about it that you happen to disagree with have anything to do with the intellectual honesty of a debate about an American criminal trial?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM

6,480 posts, read 6,213,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.
If that's the typical Canadian's take away point from all this (and I doubt it) that doesn't say much for Canadian intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or