U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,322,654 times
Reputation: 5622

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
I can't agree with you about having eight months of winter in the GTA. And it has little to do with this debate anyways, so your opinions about it have nothing to do with keeping the debate intellectually honest. In fact, I'm a little confused by your post and the reasons for it - Canada's weather has nothing to do with this debate, so why would an offhand comment about it that you happen to disagree with have anything to do with the intellectual honesty of a debate about an American criminal trial?
I wasn't the one who brought up the weather, PDW was.

As far as not having 8 months of winter in Canada.... Are you seriously trying to imply October through April should be considered Canada's 'growing season'? Leaves fall off the trees in Southern Ontario in October and begin to bud again in April, and any Canadian who gardens knows planting anything before June 1st in Southern Ontario risks killing it with frost. While that may not accurately define "winter" by the calendar on your wall, it certainly defines winter from an agricultural viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
564 posts, read 878,405 times
Reputation: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Doesn't seem to stop all the Canadians fleeing your frozen wasteland in the winter to spend time in the sun in Florida does it.
Florida has sunny weather and a healthy tourism industry. Ok. But I fail to connect the logic of your statement to the discussion at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Toronto
1,570 posts, read 2,813,927 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
I wasn't the one who brought up the weather, PDW was.

As far as not having 8 months of winter in Canada.... Are you seriously trying to imply October through April should be considered Canada's 'growing season'? Leaves fall off the trees in Southern Ontario in October and begin to bud again in April, and any Canadian who gardens knows planting anything before June 1st in Southern Ontario risks killing it with frost. While that may not accurately define "winter" by the calendar on your wall, it certainly defines winter from an agricultural viewpoint.
Just because it's not a growing season doesn't make it winter. Nowadays, I think we only get two-to-three months of actual winter, where temperatures are regularly below zero and there is occasional snow. Even still, I bought a snow blower three winters ago and have had recourse to use it less than ten times in the past three winters. Any other time we got snow, it was an inch or two that could be cleared much quicker with a shovel, or was too wet (due to temps at or above freezing) to snowblow properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:29 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
If that's the typical Canadian's take away point from all this (and I doubt it) that doesn't say much for Canadian intelligence.
So to demonstrate your own intelligence you'll give the Canadian perspective from an American living in Brooklyn,
Yeah ok.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.
Maybe i should have been more specific and applied that attitude solely to the 25 states that have the Stand Your Ground Law,
Along with a 2nd amendment that gives every one the right to carry a gun and with 300 million guns floating around and 12000 people being shot dead every year, maybe you can understand the context in which the statement was meant from a "Canadian perspective".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Poshawa, Ontario
2,986 posts, read 3,322,654 times
Reputation: 5622
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
Just because it's not a growing season doesn't make it winter. Nowadays, I think we only get two-to-three months of actual winter, where temperatures are regularly below zero and there is occasional snow. Even still, I bought a snow blower three winters ago and have had recourse to use it less than ten times in the past three winters. Any other time we got snow, it was an inch or two that could be cleared much quicker with a shovel, or was too wet (due to temps at or above freezing) to snowblow properly.
The "winter" comment was used in the context of growing agriculture, not in regards to how much snow may or may not have fallen in the last calendar year. Regardless, we didn't experience comfortable patio weather this year until June. The winter was cold and the spring was late, and I had to use my ATV several times to plow my driveway because of the higher than average snowfall.

As such, I'm not exactly sure where your "2-3 month" winter comes from. Just because the calendar says 21 March is the first day of Spring doesn't mean it's time to put on your tank top and shorts and open the pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:10 AM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,543,362 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Maybe i should have been more specific and applied that attitude solely to the 25 states that have the Stand Your Ground Law?
Why should you even bring it up in the context of Zimmerman's case? Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law contained no provision that was invoked by Zimmerman's defense team that subsequently led to his acquittal, but alas, the "Canadian perspective" (as if it bears relevance anyway) could never possibly omit anti-Second Amendment proselytizing, could it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Along with a 2nd amendment that gives every one the right to carry a gun and with 300 million guns floating around and 12000 people being shot dead every year, maybe you can understand the context in which the statement was meant from a "Canadian perspective".
Hmm, what am I supposed to do with this? I've run out of cordial ways to respond to crap of this particular variety (if you couldn't have guessed), so, being that this is a heavily moderated forum and all, I'll close by wishing my Canadian, erm, "neighbour" a beautiful day. Truly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 AM
 
18,279 posts, read 10,380,277 times
Reputation: 13342
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Doesn't seem to stop all the Canadians fleeing your frozen wasteland in the winter to spend time in the sun in Florida does it.
Nor does it stop all your friends from moving north from the sweltering arrid deserts of the scrub mid-west into the cottages they have bought or inherited on the cool pristine lakes up here.

See how those goofy descriptions can work both ways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Why should you even bring it up in the context of Zimmerman's case? Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law contained no provision that was invoked by Zimmerman's defense team that subsequently led to his acquittal, but alas, the "Canadian perspective" (as if it bears relevance anyway) could never possibly omit anti-Second Amendment proselytizing, could it?



Hmm, what am I supposed to do with this? I've run out of cordial ways to respond to crap of this particular variety (if you couldn't have guessed), so, being that this is a heavily moderated forum and all, I'll close by wishing my Canadian, erm, "neighbour" a beautiful day. Truly.
And yet again another American who doesnt get the concept "from a Canadian perspective"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:54 AM
 
Location: 406
1,423 posts, read 1,543,362 times
Reputation: 1407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And again another American who doesnt get the concept "from a Canadian perspective"
No, I think I do get it, Jambo.

You've explicitly injected the issues of guns, crime and the Second Amendment into the George Zimmerman/Trayvon Martin case, and I'm incorrect to consider it perspective (Canadian or otherwise)? Please, humor me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2013, 10:57 AM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Why should you even bring it up in the context of Zimmerman's case? Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law contained no provision that was invoked by Zimmerman's defense team that subsequently led to his acquittal, but alas, the "Canadian perspective" (as if it bears relevance anyway) could never possibly omit anti-Second Amendment proselytizing, could it?



Hmm, what am I supposed to do with this? I've run out of cordial ways to respond to crap of this particular variety (if you couldn't have guessed), so, being that this is a heavily moderated forum and all, I'll close by wishing my Canadian, erm, "neighbour" a beautiful day. Truly.
And again another American who doesnt get the concept "from a Canadian perspective" The whole case was based on Zimmermans right to invoke the Stand your ground law as without it he;d be in jail today.
Quote:
The case centered around whether Zimmerman acted in self defense and drew national attention to Florida's law, which allows people to defend themselves with force if they feel threatened in their home, business, car, or a place where they "have a legal right to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top