U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 03:35 PM

18,335 posts, read 10,411,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Okay...

Wait, what???
I worked hard on that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 03:44 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,546,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I worked hard on that one.
I kinda figured.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:46 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,455,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
See you're Canadian, you don't understand our culture.
we appreciate the freedoms we have and being able to legally have the option to carry a firearm for whatever reason is important for a lot of us.
LOL Yes it is VERY clear that many Americans feel it is important to carry a firearm. I never claimed to understand american culture, I was simply responding to montguy who thought HE had the Canadian perspective all figured out....We don't think Americans are more lenient or have to many social freedoms. Anyway, can you please help me understand american culture and point out where I was wrong?

Quote:
Anymore, Luis, I have very few words for grandstanding ignoramuses such as yourself, and, unfortunately, CityData's terms of service expressly prohibits me from sharing them with you. Sorry.

In this case, though, let me just inform you that your ethos (or whatever the hell it is) really sucks.
City-data isn't very lenient, If it was Canadian you could say what you like. Canadians don't think Americans are too lenient or that allowing people to carry deadly weapons is having too many "social freedoms". I was just pointing out a few errors in your comment thats all. please dont shoot me.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:48 PM

18,335 posts, read 10,411,152 times
Jambo: Remember that well-spring I mentioned?

Our perspective will not be allowed to be expressed without rebuttals. Regardless of your "Canadian Perspective" solicitation, it just ain't gonna happen.

This trial assumed legs all it's own and we would probably have had a similar exchange had the internet been accessable in the OJ trial with it's screwy outcome. "If it doesn't fit you must acquit."

We really need a sensational trial up here we can get our teeth into so we can attain some cred's to discuss stupid trials.

Leave that with me and I'll see what I can get going by the weekend, O.K.?

Old 07-15-2013, 04:10 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,744,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
LOL Yes it is VERY clear that many Americans feel it is important to carry a firearm. I never claimed to understand american culture, I was simply responding to montguy who thought HE had the Canadian perspective all figured out....We don't think Americans are more lenient or have to many social freedoms. Anyway, can you please help me understand american culture and point out where I was wrong?
Are you Canadian? even though some of you guys may like to act like you know so much about us and you are experts about us but seriously you will never understand if you havent been born and raised here.

Some things like firearms are seen as the norm in some areas.

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Explain to me, Luis, how I'm incorrect about the "Canadian Perspective"--my claim was that such a perspective is dictated by what I called an aversion to the Second Amendment and the social right/freedom that it acknowledges; you and jambo then insist that I don't understand the Canadian perspective whilst trashing the fact that Americans own guns under a fairly lenient legal framework (and you yourself explicitly imply an innate lack of respect for human life on the part of Americans who choose to own/carry them). If that isn't perspective, then again, what the hell is it?

I'm starting to understand, however, that you don't view the right to own or bear a firearm as a freedom--you indeed appear to view it as an act of attempted murder--but that's really just a small matter of semantics, isn't it?

Quote:
City-data isn't very lenient, If it was Canadian you could say what you like. Canadians don't think Americans are too lenient or that allowing people to carry deadly weapons is having too many "social freedoms". I was just pointing out a few errors in your comment thats all. please dont shoot me.
And you make this assumption why? Because Canadians have notably broader rights in terms of free speech than Americans? Utter bullsh*t.

Also, one last question on this, umm, "point": if you'll acknowledge Canadian firearm laws as being more stringent than those of the U.S., then what, in this rousing game of wordplay, do you call those of the U.S. in comparison, if not "lenient"? Wouldn't this mean that Canadians, well, think the U.S. is too lenient in one respect? Or would you, you know, maybe have to acknowledge the U.S. as a little, errrm, too free?

Last edited by Montguy; 07-15-2013 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM

34,453 posts, read 41,569,541 times
Quote:
you and jambo then insist that I don't understand the Canadian perspective
We dont care what you think of the Canadian perspective as the topic is about the Canadian perspective from Canadians and not your supposedly oh so important American version of the Canadian perspective,you werent invited to the party yet you insist on bullying your way into the topic that at the outset clearly defines the parameters of the topic and who's invited.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We dont care what you think of the Canadian perspective as the topic is about the Canadian perspective from Canadians and not your supposedly oh so important American version of the Canadian perspective,you werent invited to the party yet you insist on bullying your way into the topic that at the outset clearly defines the parameters of the topic and who's invited.
Rarely, if ever, do Canadians hone in on a U.S.-specific issue after having received some sort of invitation--they just do, and flagrantly so. As long as my comments remain mostly relevant to the "Canadian take on the Zimmerman verdict", I'm just as welcome here as anyone else.

I'm here to criticize this so-called Canadian perspective, jambo. Is it really so much trouble for you to, uhh, defend your perspective rather than relentlessly accuse me of not understanding what you've so blatantly illustrated since the beginning of this thread?

Quote:
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.
Quote:
We have neighborhood watches around my area and one of the rules is you are not allowed to carry a weapon, sets a bad precedent to have armed neighborhood watch people patrolling your neighborhood who arent police, havent trained to be police and are obviously potentially capable of turning into gun toting vigilantes..
I thought the whole idea of Neighborhood watch was to watch and call police if there is a problem and to not intervene especially with guns as innocent people may be killed through mistakes and mis communication..
Stories like this abound,particularly in Fla, could this have been a similar way Martin and Zimmerman got into it?
Iraq War veteran killed; widow says Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law is free pass for murder | ksdk.com
Quote:
Maybe i should have been more specific and applied that attitude solely to the 25 states that have the Stand Your Ground Law,
Along with a 2nd amendment that gives every one the right to carry a gun and with 300 million guns floating around and 12000 people being shot dead every year, maybe you can understand the context in which the statement was meant from a "Canadian perspective".

Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,210,065 times
Quote:
So to demonstrate your own intelligence you'll give the Canadian perspective from an American living in Brooklyn,
Yeah ok.

Maybe i should have been more specific and applied that attitude solely to the 25 states that have the Stand Your Ground Law,
Along with a 2nd amendment that gives every one the right to carry a gun and with 300 million guns floating around and 12000 people being shot dead every year, maybe you can understand the context in which the statement was meant from a "Canadian perspective".
But not everyone may, in fact, carry a gun. In spite of the fact that every state now has a conceled carry law, many states are "'may" issue' and not '"shall' issue" states and many cities (like NYC) have such restrictions on Second Amendment Rights as would be the envy of statist tyrants anywhere. I think you correctly surmise that we are a more violent country than Canada; as much is manifest. But there's the rub: If I live in a nation plagued with violence am I not more in need of the means to defend myself?

To state the SYG laws make it open season on our fellow man is an oversimplification bordering on the ludicrous. It takes more than 'He was lookin' at me kinda funny so I popped him, officer' to avail yourself of this law. Specifically, your use of force must pass the test of reasonability.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:20 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,210,065 times
Quote:
Why should you even bring it up in the context of Zimmerman's case? Florida's "Stand Your Ground" law contained no provision that was invoked by Zimmerman's defense team that subsequently led to his acquittal, but alas, the "Canadian perspective" (as if it bears relevance anyway) could never possibly omit anti-Second Amendment proselytizing, could it?

Hmm, what am I supposed to do with this? I've run out of cordial ways to respond to crap of this particular variety (if you couldn't have guessed), so, being that this is a heavily moderated forum and all, I'll close by wishing my Canadian, erm, "neighbour" a beautiful day. Truly.
True. It's hard to return smugness with cordiality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or