Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 11:59 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems to me if you get in a fight down there (USA)you can kill your opponent with no legal accountability.
Ignorance from Canadians, I swear Canadians think they know America better then their own people lol. Did you know each state has different laws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 12:48 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Ignorance from Canadians, I swear Canadians think they know America better then their own people lol. Did you know each state has different laws?
Thats why this is a topic for Canadians to get the Canadian perspective, we got the American perspective loud and clear with dozens of topics on the issue and a news media just choc full of the Martin/Zimmerman case.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:55 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
USA has 50 states
Florida is only one of those 50.
Make sense? or are we still having issues?

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
To me, Zimmerman is a murderer. If Martin had been a white kid, there would be universal support for Zimmerman's conviction. But because he was black, in the racist world that we live in, that means the white man is innocent and the black man is guilty.

What Would You Do? Bike Theft (White Guy, Black Guy, Pretty Girl) - YouTube
Translation:
Idk anything about this case so I'm just going to play the Race Card and see wh. at happens

Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Zimmerman stalked Martin with a gun in spite of being told by police to NOT follow Martin and when the situation got out of control - a situation that Zimmerman caused to happen and he gets his poor little head bumped - he ended up killing the kid and pleads self defense. A lame cop out plain and simple. I think he should have been found guilty of manslaughter at the very least, if not 2nd degree murder. Frankly I'm disgusted with their "old south" justice.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
USA has 50 states
Florida is only one of those 50.
Make sense? or are we still having issues?
You guys just cant help yourselves can you? this particular topic is about the Canadian perspective on the issue not the American perspective on the issue. If you arent Canadian you're hijacking the topic.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You guys just cant help yourselves can you? this particular topic is about the Canadian perspective on the issue not the American perspective on the issue. If you arent Canadian you're hijacking the topic.
I'm helping you understand how things work down here so you can have a discussion.

The Seminole County Courthouse is not the Supreme Court of the United States.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:17 PM

We dont need your take, or it would be just another American content topic on the issue something we are getting ad nauseum on every forum and every American news media outlet.why not just sit back and see if you can detect any differences from another countries perspective, we appreciate your need to guide us in our discussions but its really not necessary.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
We dont need your take, or it would be just another American content topic on the issue something we are getting ad nauseum on every forum and every American news media outlet.why not just sit back and see if you can detect any differences from another countries perspective, we appreciate your need to guide us in our discussions but its really not necessary.
Yes you do look at your OP, seems like you don't know what you are talking about.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:27 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Zimmerman stalked Martin with a gun in spite of being told by police to NOT follow Martin and when the situation got out of control - a situation that Zimmerman caused to happen and he gets his poor little head bumped - he ended up killing the kid and pleads self defense. A lame cop out plain and simple. I think he should have been found guilty of manslaughter at the very least, if not 2nd degree murder. Frankly I'm disgusted with their "old south" justice.
Nobody knows 100% for sure what happened between the cops telling Zimmerman to stand down and Martin being fatally shot to death except for Zimmerman and Martin, and Martin isn't talking.

What we DO know is that Zimmerman had head wounds consistent with his allegation that Martin had attacked him and slammed his head on the ground several times. At that point, Zimmerman maintains he acted in self-defense and shot Martin to death. As such, Martin's death falls under Stand Your Ground legislation and absolves Zimmerman of any legal wrongdoing.

If one is able to see through the smokescreen of racism and look at the case objectively, it quickly becomes apparent that bad decisions were made on all sides. Zimmerman should have stood down when instructed, and Martin should not have attacked a potentially armed Zimmerman in a state were such an attack justifies retaliating with deadly force.

Blaming 'old south justice' isn't the answer. What the residents of Florida upset with this verdict need to do is petition their state representatives to revise this law so avoid a similar tragedy from happening in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada