Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 01:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
What an anti-First Amendment attitude.

Who the f*** are you to tell someone to MYOB?

Spoken like a true "my way or the highway", intolerant conservative a******.

This is a forum that allows differences of opinion, regardless of nationality or political affiliation or whether or not, you agree with a particular viewpoint.

Thank God, you don't determine who gets to speak or else, those of us of color or who are female would probably still be 3/5 of a person or "de facto" second class citizens.

Nicely said phlinak,, I say let Montguy rant on, he's going to make sure we get his unwanted opinion Canadian perspective be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 02:06 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
What bothers me most, though, is that spectators (with no little help from the media) have turned both people involved into quasi folk heroes. They're not. Martin was not an innocent victim of latent American racism nor is Zimmerman the hero who stood up to an anti-gun, affirmative action laden bureaucracy hell bent on subverting American values.

I guess that's my takeaway - that modern Americans can't just leave a trial like this as a simple trial - they have to attach all their ideological baggage to it, to make it representative of their ideological struggle. It's left me wondering why a murder trial can't just be a murder trial.
Very true.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,804 times
Quote:
What an anti-First Amendment attitude.

Who the f*** are you to tell someone to MYOB?

Spoken like a true "my way or the highway", intolerant conservative a******.

This is a forum that allows differences of opinion, regardless of nationality or political affiliation or whether or not, you agree with a particular viewpoint.

Thank God, you don't determine who gets to speak or else, those of us of color or who are female would probably still be 3/5 of a person or "de facto" second class citizens.
LMAO, come off it, queenie.

Anyways, while my "MYOB" comment is not going to halt Canadians from sharing their "perspective" (as if they would care even if that were the case), it just seemed like a much nicer way of expressing "I wish you all of you would **** and stop with your ignorant evaluations of every-frigging thing that happens on our side of the border" (no, Canadians, the Second Amendment, George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin have nothing to do with you).

And for your information, there are, in my opinion, only two groups of people that don't deserve First Amendment protection under the U.S. Consitution: 1. Canadian nationals, and 2., race-baiting cultists in their freshman year of an undergrad social science program (not dropping any names here, phlinak).

Old 07-15-2013, 02:59 PM

103 posts, read 169,698 times
What did happen was awful no question but one of my issues is how so many wanted to turn this into a race issue.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
This thread is turning into silly back and forth bickering - I was going to ignore the thread completely, but I can't leave well enough alone.

Once in a while, in life, we're presented with a situation where some asshat, despite clear indications of asshattery, is right.

Legally, I have little doubt that the correct decision was made. Ethically, I think there's room to debate - and the debate will be endless.

What bothers me most, though, is that spectators (with no little help from the media) have turned both people involved into quasi folk heroes. They're not. Martin was not an innocent victim of latent American racism nor is Zimmerman the hero who stood up to an anti-gun, affirmative action laden bureaucracy hell bent on subverting American values.

I guess that's my takeaway - that modern Americans can't just leave a trial like this as a simple trial - they have to attach all their ideological baggage to it, to make it representative of their ideological struggle. It's left me wondering why a murder trial can't just be a murder trial.
Stubblejumper, the truth is this was never just a "simple" trial. There would have never been a trial in the first place were it not for the efforts of many who insisted that this event actually get investigated.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,104,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
LMAO, come off it, queenie.

Anyways, while my "MYOB" comment is not going to halt Canadians from sharing their "perspective" (as if they would care even if that were the case), it just seemed like a much nicer way of expressing "I wish you all of you would **** and stop with your ignorant evaluations of every-frigging thing that happens on our side of the border" (no, Canadians, the Second Amendment, George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin have nothing to do with you).

And for your information, there are, in my opinion, only two groups of people that don't deserve First Amendment protection under the U.S. Consitution: 1. Canadian nationals, and 2., race-baiting cultists in their freshman year of an undergrad social science program (not dropping any names here, phlinak).
You don't know me, jerk***, I'm not gay and I haven't been a student in a very long time.

Why don't you do us all a favor and go iron your sheets and hood, while the rest of us adults engaged in mature and reasoned conversation?

Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,399,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
The thread is actually about a homicide that was: 1. Committed beyond Canadian borders, 2. not litigated in the Canadian justice system, and 3. not prosecuted/defended in Canada's socio-political realm. How much perspective could you people possibly have aside from what I strongly sense to be "wow, racist American gun-nut shoots someone; this wouldn't have happened if Americans didn't have so much social freedom to own firearms; the laws are too lenient; the laws caused this crime (how wonderful that we Canadians have stricter gun laws); the Second Amendment is a culprit in U.S. gun deaths (i.e. Trayvon Martin); justice was not served to a victim of gun violence; blah; blah; blah.

And sure, you bet, that could also summarize the perspective of many an American dumba*s--it isn't just you guys, but the difference here is that even these dolts on the lower side of the 49th are closer to the culture, and, whether they like it or not, are part of it. You guys aren't. You guys are the other. MYOB.

At least that's my take.
Well, I think most Canadians probably do think justice was NOT served to Treyvon Martin and his family. Sorry for having compassion for human life.......But I doubt most Canadians think Americans laws are to lenient, No other country locks up so many of its own citizens in prison as mush as Americans do. Doesn't seem very lenient at all.

Guns are meant to kill, so.... to protect people guns laws are just common sense. Has very little to do with "social freedoms". Americans like to talk about freedom alot, but If America was so free, why do so manyAmericans feel the need to carry a gun at all? Here in Canada I NEVER felt the need to carry a gun, I dont know anyone that does, And I never worry about a gun being pulled on Me! I go where I please with out worrying, now thats real freedom.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
You don't know me, jerk***, I'm not gay and I haven't been a student in a very long time.

Why don't you do us all a favor and go iron your sheets and hood, while the rest of us adults engaged in mature and reasoned conversation?
Stop flirting.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:17 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well, I think most Canadians probably do think justice was NOT served to Treyvon Martin and his family. Sorry for having compassion for human life.......But I doubt most Canadians think Americans laws are to lenient, No other country locks up so many of its own citizens in prison as mush as Americans do. Doesn't seem very lenient at all.

Guns are meant to kill, so.... to protect people guns laws are just common sense. Has very little to do with "social freedoms". Americans like to talk about freedom alot, but If America was so free, why do so manyAmericans feel the need to carry a gun at all? Here in Canada I NEVER felt the need to carry a gun, I dont know anyone that does, And I never worry about a gun being pulled on Me! I go where I please with out worrying, now thats real freedom.
See you're Canadian, you don't understand our culture.
we appreciate the freedoms we have and being able to legally have the option to carry a firearm for whatever reason is important for a lot of us.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

Anymore, Luis, I have very few words for grandstanding ignoramuses such as yourself, and, unfortunately, CityData's terms of service expressly prohibits me from sharing them with you. Sorry.

In this case, though, let me just inform you that your ethos (or whatever the hell it is) really sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada