Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 11:09 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

They are rapidly descending into the morasse of a police state akin to a third world country.
Yes, and it is suggested no one come here because its so bad.
Especially if you're from Canada.
So stay home, it's sooooo horrible down here.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:35 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Has anyone encountered the U.S. Department of Homeland Security border stops when attempting to leave the country to cross into Canada? The first time I ever saw these was shortly after the Boston bombing incident a few months ago. Now they seem to be putting these up from time to time, and stopping whichever cars they desire. They stopped my car and asked me for identification, and asked me to pop my trunk to allow a search. I told them I do not consent to a search and was immediately threatened and intimidated by these thugs. Since when are they allowed to search people upon exit from the country?

It really makes me glad I'm fortunate enough to live in Canada and not the U.S. police state.
Yep Canada isn't getting threatened by a million people, also on Canada day which is like American fourth of July nobody burns the Canadian flag and stuff, also Canada has far less terrorist attempts than America, I do think America has better technology in finding these terrorist and stuff. Honestly it really isn't that big of a deal they stopped your car when crossing the border. PS if it wasn't for America, Canada would be nothing but dirt and indian tribes.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM

103 posts, read 169,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Yep Canada isn't getting threatened by a million people, also on Canada day which is like American fourth of July nobody burns the Canadian flag and stuff, also Canada has far less terrorist attempts than America, I do think America has better technology in finding these terrorist and stuff. Honestly it really isn't that big of a deal they stopped your car when crossing the border. PS if it wasn't for America, Canada would be nothing but dirt and indian tribes.
While we don't face the same issues as the States no question but we do still face a fair amount of issues now as for the Canadian flag does not get burned thats true but look at what happens in Quebec for exzample last year the group stomping on the flag.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:30 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
To answer the OP - I've never heard of them doing something like that before but these days it doesn't surprise me that that kind of thing is happening now. I'm sorry to hear it happened to you and your story just re-confirms for me that something dreadfully wrong is happening down there and it's no longer the "land of the free and home of the brave", otherwise stuff like that wouldn't be happening.

Quote:

.... Honestly it really isn't that big of a deal they stopped your car when crossing the border.
He wasn't crossing the border yet. He was still in USA approaching the Canadian border to go INTO Canada and got stopped by American Homeland Security officials before he got to the Canadian border. Since when did Homeland Security start interfering with Canadian travellers who were on their way to return home to Canada and when did it become okay?

If you (an American citizen) had been visiting Mexico and then were approaching the border to return to the USA and got stopped and interrogated/inspected by armed Mexican security while you were still in Mexico before reaching the USA border - would that be okay with you? Would it be okay if they detained you on suspicion of something trumped up and prevented you from approaching the border into USA and stopped you from getting back home? If that's okay with you, why is it okay?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,725,549 times
Quote:
And winner of the the most ignorant comment of the day...and stuff.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
No one is having much of an issue with the heavy handed tactics that now seem the norm at US borders its now just the way it is and the price we pay for going stateside mostly we are just wondering why the need for it as you can just as easily interrogate people with a friendly demeanor rather than the we are the masters of the universe attitude. as for the rest of your crude comments we'll leave those to speak for themselves.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:57 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes, and it is suggested no one come here because its so bad.
Especially if you're from Canada.
So stay home, it's sooooo horrible down here.
Naaah; I travel to third world countries too. Take more than moronic behaviour at or near a border to discourage me from a good happy hour with like-minded Murikans (you might be suprised how many there are) who also think you're on the descending side of the development curve.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:00 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Naaah; I travel to third world countries too. Take more than moronic behaviour at or near a border to discourage me from a good happy hour with like-minded Murikans (you might be suprised how many there are) who also think you're on the descending side of the development curve.
I'm more of an optimist, i think the whole world is getting better by the day.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm more of an optimist, i think the whole world is getting better by the day.
Well, of course you would. I take that as a given.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,482 times
I don't agree with it, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that as a non-resident, I'm subject to search and inspection at all times while I'm on American soil.

Fortunately, it's never happened to me - but considering the amount I cross I don't see the point in denying them a search, creating hassles for myself for the rest of my life just to prove a point - whether I'm legally in the right or not.

That said, border patrol agents do have authority inland as well - and they certainly do when you are leaving the country. It's not limited to the US either, I've seen Canada Border Services agents search and question people leaving Canada at the airport. Never seen it at a ground crossing though...

That said, you do have the right to deny a search. Expect to be detained, in which case you do have the right to remain silent, and the right to an attorney - who should have no problem getting you back to your home country if you're done nothing wrong, or there was no real grounds for a search. However, like I said, expect problems for the rest of your life entering the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada