U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 10:06 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,704,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
I don't agree with it, but I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that as a non-resident, I'm subject to search and inspection at all times while I'm on American soil.

Fortunately, it's never happened to me - but considering the amount I cross I don't see the point in denying them a search, creating hassles for myself for the rest of my life just to prove a point - whether I'm legally in the right or not.

That said, border patrol agents do have authority inland as well - and they certainly do when you are leaving the country. It's not limited to the US either, I've seen Canada Border Services agents search and question people leaving Canada at the airport. Never seen it at a ground crossing though...

That said, you do have the right to deny a search. Expect to be detained, in which case you do have the right to remain silent, and the right to an attorney - who should have no problem getting you back to your home country if you're done nothing wrong, or there was no real grounds for a search. However, like I said, expect problems for the rest of your life entering the US.
Your residency status has nothing to do with your protections. Anyone on U.S. territory is protected by the U.S. Constitution. The fact you think otherwise shows that the Fox News propaganda has seeped its way into a great swath of society.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Yes, the last five years in the states have been horrible with Federal Government ignoring the Constitution and walking all over the rights of Americans. They even busted Willie Nelson at one of these checkpoints and NOBODY COMPLAINED.

Hopefully, we will come to our senses in the next election.

Complain to the Canadian Government....boycott the states by not coming here. BTW you ARE being profiled for being Canadian.

We just carry our new bio-metric passports while traveling in the southwest. They can be scanned remotely and we get right pass all the internal checkpoints.

You see no difference between having to physically show your papers and having a scanner detect them? Why should anyone within the United States be compelled to show papers anyway? Is it the new East Germany?

Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While i'm not wild about the idea of being searched i do get the point that these border guard agents arent just doing these searches to annoy me they are doing them to protect the country by finding all manner of illegal activity including illegal aliens, abducted children, wanted criminals,drugs, bombs or bomb making materials etc. so go ahead and search me and my car i understand the bigger picture as to why its being done.
Riiiight. Like most of the types you listed there are going to go through a controlled border point when there are thousands of miles of open Canada/U.S. border.

Old 07-20-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
HSI agents, CBP officers, and USBP agents all have the legal authority to conduct border searches of any and all persons, conveyances, and merchandise entering and/or exiting the United States. There are exceptions involving diplomats and of course, national security. It's a small inconvenience compared to the alternative.

You may feel that the United States is a police state but I know for a fact that your Canadian government is just protective of its borders as we are of ours, so please come down off of your high horse of false indignation and show some love and appreciation to your brothers and sisters across the border.

After all, if it were not for our "big, bad American military", Canada would not be such a safe and secure place where you type and post such drivel without fear of having your door kicked in and you being dragged off to a gulag or being made to permanently disappear in the middle of the night.

Freedom isn't free. It never was and never will be.

Freedom is purchased by fighting all enemies, foreign and domestic. When will you take up arms against the criminal gang in Washington? Silly question for me to ask, since I know all you'll do is praise the one who carries the biggest stick and bend over for them.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 AM

34,478 posts, read 41,600,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Riiiight. Like most of the types you listed there are going to go through a controlled border point when there are thousands of miles of open Canada/U.S. border.
Most illegals including the types i listed enter Canada taking normal and legal means of transportation into the country, their illegality arises when they dont return to where ever it is they came from and end up just staying in Canada. or their criminality is discovered by search and interrogation at the border .
Certainly some do try to cross at remote unmanned areas but those thousands of miles of open border are not as unprotected these days as you may think as cameras, motion sensors,aerial surveillance and much patrolling of border perimeter does much to deter people just walking through farmers fields to get into the country,half a dozen or so strange people walking down a country road in close proximity to the border would stick out like a sore thumb and be reported in short order.

Last edited by jambo101; 07-21-2013 at 12:15 AM..

Old 07-21-2013, 05:03 AM

2,800 posts, read 2,520,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Okie dokie then - forget about Mexico - I was asking that question before of somebody who lives relatively close to Mexico, which you do not. And s/he never bothered to answer back anyway.

So let's say YOU are travelling through BC or Yukon on your way back to your home in Alaska and you get pulled over and rousted by Canadian security officers just before you approach your own border crossing into Alaska. And please don't tell me that you personally don't ever travel into Canada because it's a third world country.

Are the Canadian security officers rousting you because they're corrupt and are shaking you down for money? Is that your excuse for if they do it? Is it a good excuse for you to be accepting of it?

If they're not corrupt and not shaking you down for money then what would be their reason for stopping you? Why would they stop you just before you're about to go through your own country's security checks, and why would it be okay with you? Why should other Americans accept it as an okay thing for them to do?

Are you suggesting that when American Homeland Security is rousting Canadians returning home to Canada the reason they're doing it is because they're corrupt? Is that okay with you? If they're not doing it because of corruption then why are they doing it? And why would it be okay with American citizens?

Why is any of it in any country okay when the security check at the crossing going into your own country should be good enough?

Go back and reread post #38.

Those DHS personnel (HSI agents, CBP officers, and USBP agents) have border search authority (which includes both entering and exiting the United States), so yes, they can and they will conduct vehicle stops on Canadians (and others) leaving the US.

Why?

Because people smuggle or attempt to smuggle cash, drugs, and things prohibited by law from leaving the United States without the appropriate licenses, such as certain technologies, weapons, and materials that have dual-use (military and civilian) applications. That's why.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:23 AM

12,408 posts, read 16,509,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We were also frequently pulled over and given a close scrutiny in our last years of RV'ing throughout the American southwest and decided to hang up our spurs in no small measure due to having guys with filthy grease stained bottomed boots march throughout our carpeted rig with grins on their faces while you looked on horrified at the crap being left behind. They were not searching drawers or cupboards, simply looking for illegals possibly hiding inside the rig being transported by septagenarian Canadian rv'ers

I wonder what they are hoping to achieve by treating their tourists in such a manner when in the final analysis they grant amnesty to the illegals in any case?

We no longer drive to the southwest and now fly into Forida and have a car we leave down there tagged with Florida plates. It has made travelling around so much easier and worry free.

They are rapidly descending into the morasse of a police state akin to a third world country.
Can it be possible that there are incidents that never reach our news sources? Maybe a Snowden type who published before leaving the country?

I remember, some time ago, old retired people used to get a bus together and go to Canada to purchase their prescriptioned drugs, since they were so much less expensive there. Someone wrote, terrified, that the bus was stopped by what looked like US troops and everyone got/thing was searched. The troops were NOT polite, but very threatening. I think their drugs were confiscated, too. It was some time ago, so this has been going on for a long time.

Every now and again I run across articles saying that Americans no longer have the civil liberties and protections that they think they have.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
Freedom is purchased by fighting all enemies, foreign and domestic. When will you take up arms against the criminal gang in Washington? Silly question for me to ask, since I know all you'll do is praise the one who carries the biggest stick and bend over for them.
Very odd logic Patton, a Canadian calling for American insurrection to oust current duly elected American administration.? and "Freedom is purchased by fighting all enemies, foreign and domestic"?
This has to be some form of subtle satire i;m missing, it certainly doesnt represent the Canadian point of view.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:32 AM

I guess ones perceptions of border crossings are tied to ones own personal experiences.
in my case when crossing into the USA which i do probably 4-6 times a year i'd say they'll pull me over for a thorough inspection 3 out of 5 times, returning to Canada i've been pulled over for a thorough inspection a total of 3 times in my life. for me its tougher going to the USA than returning to Canada.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:26 AM

18,356 posts, read 10,422,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I guess ones perceptions of border crossings are tied to ones own personal experiences.
in my case when crossing into the USA which i do probably 4-6 times a year i'd say they'll pull me over for a thorough inspection 3 out of 5 times, returning to Canada i've been pulled over for a thorough inspection a total of 3 times in my life. for me its tougher going to the USA than returning to Canada.
It's this way for me also Jambo.

The angst quotient is higher going into the U.S. though as all it takes is some agent misinterpreting an answer and that's all she wrote for probably a few years until you mange to get some sort of resolution to a flag placed on your file for no valid reason.

I marvelled at the European community even before the creation of the EU. Driving a rental car, and crossing no less than 8 borders, without ever being stopped or questioned was kind of mind blowing for me while we are subjected to silliness in both directions, emanating from silliness in both houses.

Coming back to Canada, one can rest assured that regardless of the individual questioning you as to your purchases and length of stay out of country, they cannot deny you entry, as your citizen status trumps their authority to deny entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or