U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 PM

1,723 posts, read 5,144,394 times

Advertisements

Has anyone encountered the U.S. Department of Homeland Security border stops when attempting to leave the country to cross into Canada? The first time I ever saw these was shortly after the Boston bombing incident a few months ago. Now they seem to be putting these up from time to time, and stopping whichever cars they desire. They stopped my car and asked me for identification, and asked me to pop my trunk to allow a search. I told them I do not consent to a search and was immediately threatened and intimidated by these thugs. Since when are they allowed to search people upon exit from the country?

It really makes me glad I'm fortunate enough to live in Canada and not the U.S. police state.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
The only time I was stopped outbound from the US was when Versace was killed. (1997?) Pre DHS anyway.

We were going to cross the Ivy Lea Bridge from New York State to Ontario. We stopped for the New York State officer waving us down, he looked at us, and waved us on. No big deal.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:00 AM

34,419 posts, read 41,527,053 times
Last year i was in a substantial line up to cross the border back into Canada when i was approched by 4 American heavies in camo and flak jeackets with rifles and guns and a dog, they surrounded the car and one of em asked me if i'd mind exiting the car and submitting to a search.. OK i says but arent you supposed to be checking the guys going the other way?A terse reply of YOU ARE STILL IN THE USA!!! so they searched me and my car and them and their dog found nothing where upon they continued their armed thug routine to other cars that were still on the American side of the border,something has gone terribly wrong in the USA to the point i dont particularly like going there any more.

Old 07-15-2013, 05:44 AM

564 posts, read 878,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Has anyone encountered the U.S. Department of Homeland Security border stops when attempting to leave the country to cross into Canada? The first time I ever saw these was shortly after the Boston bombing incident a few months ago. Now they seem to be putting these up from time to time, and stopping whichever cars they desire. They stopped my car and asked me for identification, and asked me to pop my trunk to allow a search. I told them I do not consent to a search and was immediately threatened and intimidated by these thugs. Since when are they allowed to search people upon exit from the country?

It really makes me glad I'm fortunate enough to live in Canada and not the U.S. police state.
Can you expand a bit on this? Was this just before you reached the Canadian border/customs check? What happened after you did not consent to a search? And finally, how is this legal (or even tolerated) without justifiable cause?

Old 07-15-2013, 06:04 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,418,971 times
We have let the thugs rule us because so many of us have been effectively terrified by both foreign and domestic terrorists. The foreign terrs set of bombs or shoot up a place every now and again. Even if you are far likelier to be killed or injured by a car crash many of become frightened out of our minds. Domestic terrs join the police forces and use their new found "authority" to frighten us out of our rights as US citizens or as Canadian guests.

I believe the biggest threat is the sheer cowardice of most of our people. They were raised in mostly threat free environments and simply do not know how to cope so they ask others to protect them. The others become a greater threat then the foreign terrorists because they can.

Personally I'll take my chances against some foreign terrorists before I would let our domestic thugs take over.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 AM

103 posts, read 138,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post
Can you expand a bit on this? Was this just before you reached the Canadian border/customs check? What happened after you did not consent to a search? And finally, how is this legal (or even tolerated) without justifiable cause?
I think its abit complex but they have the right as you are going into there country now if you refuse i think all they really can do is turn you around and say you can't enter.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:27 AM
BMI

7,265 posts, read 4,516,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Last year i was in a substantial line up to cross the border back into Canada when i was approched by 4 American heavies in camo and flak jeackets with rifles and guns and a dog, they surrounded the car and one of em asked me if i'd mind exiting the car and submitting to a search.. OK i says but arent you supposed to be checking the guys going the other way?A terse reply of YOU ARE STILL IN THE USA!!! so they searched me and my car and them and their dog found nothing where upon they continued their armed thug routine to other cars that were still on the American side of the border,something has gone terribly wrong in the USA to the point i dont particularly like going there any more.
I hate to say it but I feel the same way, I hate crossing the border, feel like criminal,
very sad situation.

Even worse is in SW US anywhere near the Mexican border, there are annoying Border Patrol check
points 30 to 60 miles from the border, like at HWY US 70 near entrance to White Sands Monument in
New Mexico. Border Patrol really did a number on me, sniffer dog, car up on ramp, the whole nine yards, I get stopped at that check point every time!

Old 07-15-2013, 07:35 AM

103 posts, read 138,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I hate to say it but I feel the same way, I hate crossing the border, feel like criminal,
very sad situation.

Even worse is in SW US anywhere near the Mexican border, there are annoying Border Patrol check
points 30 to 60 miles from the border, like at HWY US 70 near entrance to White Sands Monument in
New Mexico. Border Patrol really did a number on me, sniffer dog, car up on ramp, the whole nine yards, I get stopped at that check point every time!
My experence it depends where you cross if i go to Cornwall-Watertown the wait is long and yes they make you fell like a criminal but the Prescott-Ogdensburg crossing is reall good the most i have waited is 10 mins and the guards are very nice.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:49 AM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
I think its abit complex but they have the right as you are going into there country now if you refuse i think all they really can do is turn you around and say you can't enter.
Nope! You misread the post. He was stopped and searched as he was LEAVING the U.S. and still a small distance from the border.

This was mentioned some time ago that TSA was actually stopping interstate traffic on exit ramps and searching vehicles in a random pattern not lnked to any particular happenstance or terrorst act.

The problem as I see it is; their fear is being manipulated to build buraucracies and fifedoms of oversight without any reasonable restraints put on them to give even the illusion of a free and democratic state.

The bullying that comes with that will do more harm than good, ultimately destroying whatever pretext of civility remains in the U.S.

Picture the quiet civil politeness characterized by the southern states of days past with this current "I get to treat you like a threat without ANY reason whatsoever" and you have the juxtaposition of a nation attempting to enhance it's security and mainatin it's freedoms of movement while very deliberately restricting both to a terrible degree.

There are many, many bad days ahead for that country.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:03 AM

18,302 posts, read 10,393,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
very sad situation.

We were also frequently pulled over and given a close scrutiny in our last years of RV'ing throughout the American southwest and decided to hang up our spurs in no small measure due to having guys with filthy grease stained bottomed boots march throughout our carpeted rig with grins on their faces while you looked on horrified at the crap being left behind. They were not searching drawers or cupboards, simply looking for illegals possibly hiding inside the rig being transported by septagenarian Canadian rv'ers

I wonder what they are hoping to achieve by treating their tourists in such a manner when in the final analysis they grant amnesty to the illegals in any case?

We no longer drive to the southwest and now fly into Forida and have a car we leave down there tagged with Florida plates. It has made travelling around so much easier and worry free.

They are rapidly descending into the morasse of a police state akin to a third world country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or