Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:13 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times

Advertisements

I'm politically liberal and for strong gun laws, but I don't support what the RCMP did, that was way over the line, they shouldn't have done that and Harper was right to criticise it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Does this mean you will stop coming here?
I answered your inane question once before already with:

Naaah; I visit many third world countries. I won't let moronic behaviour prevent me from enjoying a happy hour with like minded Murikans (of which there are more than you could possibly imagine) beside the pool at our winter home.

Never once have you read where I indicated I didn't enjoy your country or it's citizen inhabitants.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I answered your inane question once before already with:

Naaah; I visit many third world countries. I won't let moronic behaviour prevent me from enjoying a happy hour with like minded Murikans (of which there are more than you could possibly imagine) beside the pool at our winter home.

Never once have you read where I indicated I didn't enjoy your country or it's citizen inhabitants.
It's a third world country down here though!
Youre better off just going to Cuba or Mexico.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,322,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I believe this to be the attitude of most of those affected.

I believe also they they will have the pertinent sections of the firearms laws printed in large print and plasticized to forestall any confontational aspect arising at the time of return of the weapon.

Those who had a locked closet broken into may have more to beetch about but getting the weapon back intact should serve to quell the bulk of that.

It's akin to police responding to a domestic dispute and for the safety of all individuals involved they confiscate any weapons within the household for a period to prevent a tragedy.

Discretionary powers are intangible things; we reserve the right to complain about our policing but sometimes they have an impossible conundrum to deal with. Should they overstep in the wrong direction they leave themselves open to criticism whichever side they come down on.

Had there been any looting of record AND a weapon previously registered under the old firearms acquisition registry, subsequently been lifted off a fireplace mantle to later be used in a high profile murder WITH the complication added that evidence entered at trial, stipulated the house had been searched by mounties with the gun being ignored while plainly visible as testified by the owner; one can just imagine the fallout and screams from the public at the deriliction of duty by the RCMP.
I think that's a very apt analogy. Who would one rather be? An RCMP officer who sees a potential risk and leaves it lying around, only to have it later used in a crime, and finds himself confined to desk duty or worse while the whole thing is subjected to an inquiry and your name dragged through the mud, or be the guy who followed orders from a superior to temporarily confiscate weapons in a flood zone at a time of a local disaster> At least you can push it off onto your superior in the second instance. In the first instance, everyone will desert you.

When we had the flood here in 1997, the RCMP/army came under fire here by some farmers for making sure they evacuated. Farmers were manning pumps day and night, trying to keep their properties from flooding. I don't blame the army/RCMP for enforcing the evacuation, but neither do I blame the farmers for sneaking back in many instances and saving their property. I would have snuck back too.

But if there had not been a mandatory evacuation, and someone had died, you can be sure there would have been criticism from those who would have felt that they should have been forced to evacuate. People just aren't all that reasonable.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It's a third world country down here though!
Youre better off just going to Cuba or Mexico.
Perhaps you're right but, I don't own property in either of those other countries, don't speak Spanish nor do I have friends from either of those countries who visit me evey summer for some (way more expensive in Canada) golfing and stimualting conversation about how our respective governments are FUBAR'ing both our countries.

They keep coming back but I think it might be because they prefer our Canadian beer, truth be told.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think that's a very apt analogy. Who would one rather be? An RCMP officer who sees a potential risk and leaves it lying around, only to have it later used in a crime, and finds himself confined to desk duty or worse while the whole thing is subjected to an inquiry and your name dragged through the mud, or be the guy who followed orders from a superior to temporarily confiscate weapons in a flood zone at a time of a local disaster> At least you can push it off onto your superior in the second instance. In the first instance, everyone will desert you.

When we had the flood here in 1997, the RCMP/army came under fire here by some farmers for making sure they evacuated. Farmers were manning pumps day and night, trying to keep their properties from flooding. I don't blame the army/RCMP for enforcing the evacuation, but neither do I blame the farmers for sneaking back in many instances and saving their property. I would have snuck back too.

But if there had not been a mandatory evacuation, and someone had died, you can be sure there would have been criticism from those who would have felt that they should have been forced to evacuate. People just aren't all that reasonable.
And your analogy is spot on as well. We've become somewhat inured to the RCMP passing the buck and kissing butt lately.

Look at the weeks they've waited for the PMO to comply with an order to provide the email logs in the "payment to Duffy" scandal. You and I would have found ourselves bent over the hood of a Chevy Suburban by now while they merely repeat ad nauseum: "we have requested the realted documents and are waiting for the PMO to comply". Cripes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada