Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 03:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Do you think some Japanese would think, wow, she will give birth to the future King of India? Do you constantly associate the royal family with India?

... Guess so. Same applies to Canada.
Why would anyone now associate any royal family with India? India has been a republic for 63 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 03:19 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".

The excessive coverage of the royal wedding a couple of years ago, the fact she is pregnant and has a "royal bump", and the recent media attention of Kate's admission into the hospital... anyone else who is tired of it? Both the Toronto Star and the National Post had it as the cover story this morning, which makes me want to puke. Isn't there anything more important to report than something frivolous as guess whether it is a boy or girl, what name would it be etc? Who the f*** cares?

Kate Middleton is entering "early labour". Yeah, we got it. Big deal. There is no need for hundrends of reporters to lurk24/7 outside the hospital to report whether the woman is feeling dizzy and experiencing some sort of contraction. The journalists have in fact nothing to report but had to interview each other. Has our main stream media degenerated into a tabloid like this? Do Canadians really care about this that much? It is worth reporting - she might be having our future head of state, but doesn't it suffice to report after she delivers so that everyone knows she is safe and the offspring is a boy/girl? What's the point of all this minor details about a woman's labour?

Put an end to this. Canada has very little to do with the UK nowadays, why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
I suppose you have an extreme dislike of all rich people also?
It was this royal family over the last 100 years who assisted in keeping Canada prosperous and stable. It was the many races and cultures of those from Common wealth countries that immigrated here to create this wonderful mix of all peoples. Let the people have their fun...let people rejoice in the symbolic celebration of human birth.

Canada has a LOT to do with the UK still. I have known effective bankers and old lawyers who have very strong ties to their counter parts in England...it is this system that kept us afloat while other systems were floundering. There is no cord to cut...and normal things like the birth of a child is a great thing to report on. What are we to do- have media report constantly on gloom and doom - corruption and murder? This is a good break from negativity. A woman in labour represents ALL woman who labour...Canadians want to be part of the royal family- It is our heritage and tradition...Do you have something better to replace this with?

Old 07-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's a boy! 8 pounds 6 ounces, born 14 minutes ago - at 12:24 (Pacific time).

No way....a boy! 16 pounds 8 ounces.....ooooh that's gotta hurt. Okay so much for the funny- * over 8 pounds- that is a pretty healthy baby....who is gonna get a hate on for a beautiful sincere woman and her new born....come on folks...who knows- It might be Jesus//// LOL

Old 07-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Don't tell anyone but I am going to flick on Youtube and see if there is a vid up yet....

Old 07-22-2013, 03:35 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
All that being said about the monarchy and the Queen, I am quite sick of our media's obession with anything related to the "royal family".

The excessive coverage of the royal wedding a couple of years ago, the fact she is pregnant and has a "royal bump", and the recent media attention of Kate's admission into the hospital... anyone else who is tired of it? Both the Toronto Star and the National Post had it as the cover story this morning, which makes me want to puke. Isn't there anything more important to report than something frivolous as guess whether it is a boy or girl, what name would it be etc? Who the f*** cares?

Kate Middleton is entering "early labour". Yeah, we got it. Big deal. There is no need for hundrends of reporters to lurk24/7 outside the hospital to report whether the woman is feeling dizzy and experiencing some sort of contraction. The journalists have in fact nothing to report but had to interview each other. Has our main stream media degenerated into a tabloid like this? Do Canadians really care about this that much? It is worth reporting - she might be having our future head of state, but doesn't it suffice to report after she delivers so that everyone knows she is safe and the offspring is a boy/girl? What's the point of all this minor details about a woman's labour?

Put an end to this. Canada has very little to do with the UK nowadays, why not cut the umbilical cord and focus on something that really matters.
It seems to be on all; the American channels as well, in fact its probably big news world wide.. If you are finding media coverage a bit too much turn off the tv..
Personally i find the whole event rather historic and exciting..A King is born!

congratulations England

PS..Rather odd that some one who claims to be so sick of the monarchy and the goings on about the baby would then start a topic on the issue that will only result in more advertizing/airtime of the issue..

Last edited by jambo101; 07-22-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

It seems to be on all; the American channels as well, in fact its probably big news world wide.. If you are finding media coverage a bit too much turn off the tv..
Personally i find the whole event rather historic and exciting..A King is born!

congratulations England

PS..Rather odd that some one who claims to be so sick of the monarchy and the goings on about the baby would then start a topic on the issue that will only result in more advertizing/airtime of the issue..
If it were not for the great old Kingdom of Great Britain there would be no America. Yes a King is born...Americans and some Canadians assume that anything Royal is bad...Just remember - they represent family values and they have maintained a family for a thousand years...They might not be perfect but I will always admire the concept and the PRINCIPLE OF SERVICE...This originated in ancient Christian doctrine that every man and woman is a servant to every man woman and child. America and Canada could use a little more service from public servants- right from Prime Ministers to American Presidents- the role that the Queen sets and example is one...one of service and DUTY.

During world war 2 Queen Elizabeth put on a uniform and drove an ambulance...I don't see the First Lady even considering such a mundane and common task. Yes there is scandal and yes we all have skeletons in our closets...BUT - a child was born today - who long after we are dead will carry on being a prisoner in a golden cage who serves his people.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:06 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
How is this a "positive" thing to focus on? It's a baby that happened to be born to some family with too much money and attention considering the year we live in. Who cares?

Wanna report something positive? Do a bit on someone who made a cool invention or did something heroic. You know, someone who has EARNED attention!?

Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,533,072 times
Here's a tweet from a pretty good comedian, Rob Delaney, that sums this up nicely:

@robdelaney: "My marriage is in shambles & I have six-figure medical debt, but this royal baby is giving me a newfound sense of hope & wonder."

Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,283,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
How is this a "positive" thing to focus on? It's a baby that happened to be born to some family with too much money and attention considering the year we live in. Who cares?

Wanna report something positive? Do a bit on someone who made a cool invention or did something heroic. You know, someone who has EARNED attention!?

Hmmm. Well, it's Al DiMeola's birthday today. That's something. He's a pretty heroic musician.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Here's a tweet from a pretty good comedian, Rob Delaney, that sums this up nicely:

@robdelaney: "My marriage is in shambles & I have six-figure medical debt, but this royal baby is giving me a newfound sense of hope & wonder."
LOL..however if he lived in Canada or the U.K. one half of his problems would be gone...the medical bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada