Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 PM

14,653 posts, read 14,749,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
So your a Resentful Un-happy and ungrateful Canadian?

If that is the case then maybe you should move to some where you can be happy and proud to be from and give up your Canadian citizenship if it makes you so un-happy.

No one is forcing you to live here or be a Canadian and no will stop you if you want to leave and give up your citizenship either.
There is a way for him to be forced to stay in Canada and Canada might be stuck with him. If he is a criminal with a record, or possibly even presently a prisoner in a Canadian prison, then he would not be able to leave Canada or to legally immigrate to any other country. Other countries are like Canada in that they won't accept known criminals as immigrants. If he's a criminal with a record the only way he'd be able to leave Canada is as an illegal alien sneaking into another country but I doubt he would do that because he'd be much worse off going anywhere else than if he was to stay stuck in Canada. At least in Canada he's legally here as a citizen and he gets medical care and an old age pension at 65. He wouldn't get that as an illegal alien in another country. This is all just sheer speculation of course but if it was the case then it would certainly explain all of his bitterness and negative attitude and lack of pride in being a Canadian citizen. Some people just don't recognize a good thing when they see it. Poor baby.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 08:37 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,635,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
So your a Resentful Un-happy and ungrateful Canadian?

If that is the case then maybe you should move to some where you can be happy and proud to be from and give up your Canadian citizenship if it makes you so un-happy.

No one is forcing you to live here or be a Canadian and no will stop you if you want to leave and give up your citizenship either.
You are right, no one can force me to stay, but I choose to stay.
I choose quality of life over national pride. I have a good job here, why risk moving somewhere else.

No matter how you put it, I see little pride in being Canadian. Our country is a minion of our powerful neighbour and has never learned to stand up independently. We have created so little local culture that everyone seems to very content and used to all the imported stuff from television to music. Our best artists/athletes/scientists flock to the US for better opportunities.

Our infrastructure is pathetic (2 rain storms caused large scaled blackouts in Toronto, and let't not even start with transportation), our government is heavy debt. Growth is slow and productivity is sad.

Pride? I simply fail to see it.

I am not unhappy. I just don't feel proud to be Canadian.

Old 07-23-2013, 08:48 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,360,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I choose quality of life over national pride. I have a good job here, why risk moving somewhere else.

No matter how you put it, I see little pride in being Canadian. Our country is a minion of our powerful neighbour and has never learned to stand up independently. We have created so little local culture that everyone seems to very content and used to all the imported stuff from television to music. Our best artists/athletes/scientists flock to the US for better opportunities.

Our infrastructure is pathetic (2 rain storms caused large scaled blackouts in Toronto, and let't not even start with transportation), our government is heavy debt. Growth is slow and productivity is sad.

"I choose quality of life over national pride"

"Our infrastructure is pathetic (2 rain storms caused large scaled blackouts in Toronto, and let't not even start with transportation), our government is heavy debt. Growth is slow and productivity is sad. "

You are talking outside both sides of your mouth. You do realize that blackouts have occurred in most major cities across the globe. You are also judging Canada by what happened in Toronto. Any city hit with what Toronto got would have the same issues.
Most of your the second comment I pasted describes most of the world at the moment.

I know you are an immigrant and came to Canada for whatever reasons but seem very apathetic...but don't you think it's time Botticelli to stop blaming others for your apathy, because, seriously, if a first world country like Canada gets you down so much...what's left?

Old 07-23-2013, 09:07 PM

7,240 posts, read 9,219,167 times
Quote:

I wouldn't use the word 'pride' to describe my feelings about Canada either. But not for any of the reasons you listed although I would take issue with some of your interpretations like being a minion of the US. I would also take issue with your thinking there is a lack of local culture because I don't see that at all. I suppose it depends on what one considers culture and what one enjoys. If you are talking about popular culture, then perhaps that's true but I have almost no interest in popular culture or television shows.

There is a lot of indie music that is Canadian and there are many writers who are distinctly Canadian and recognised throughout the world.

I certainly don't mind being Canadian and I am not ashamed of being Canadian but I find national pride kind of silly.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I wouldn't use the word 'pride' to describe my feelings about Canada either. But not for any of the reasons you listed although I would take issue with some of your interpretations like being a minion of the US. I would also take issue with your thinking there is a lack of local culture because I don't see that at all. I suppose it depends on what one considers culture and what one enjoys. If you are talking about popular culture, then perhaps that's true but I have almost no interest in popular culture or television shows.

There is a lot of indie music that is Canadian and there are many writers who are distinctly Canadian and recognised throughout the world.

I certainly don't mind being Canadian and I am not ashamed of being Canadian but I find national pride kind of silly.
in that case, I largely agree with your opinion, except that I do think Canada is one of America's small minions (along with the UK, Japan, Korea etc, those who need "protection" from the US and holds its military bases in support of its hegemony).

I don't mind being Canadian either - it is better than being a national of many other countries for practical reasons, but there is no pride involved whatsoever.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Any city hit with what Toronto got would have the same issues.
No, it doesn't.
I remember last year one day during rush hour the TTC shut its subway from Union to Bloor because there was 25mm of rain, or an inch. Do you think any city would have the same issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
if a first world country like Canada gets you down so much...what's left?
Canada is hardly first world. Maybe you believe so, or the UN says so. I don't buy it. Here are some examples

1) the TTC - national shame. Are we in 1985?
2) our train system (VIA is really pathetic in terms of both speed and comfort).
3) popularity of window unit A/C (oh, God, it is phased out in even many developing countries years ago. How are they still being used in houses and apartments )
4) those hot water tanks every houses seem to have one (you will find it hard to see them outside N.A.)
5) convenience of online shopping, availability of consumer products
6) Is there Canadian cars? high tech products? electronics? brand name clothing?

none of them screams "advanced first world country". Many Canadians seem to live in the bubble that we lead the world in terms of technology and lifestyle while in fact even developing countries are laughing at us for how backward things are.

Last edited by botticelli; 07-23-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM

11,154 posts, read 29,159,768 times
perhaps instead of just focusing on the negative things you should focus on the positive..But then again there are always a few curmudgeons that are never happy no matter how good things are or how good they have it and they will always find something to complain about.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:24 AM
pdw

2,601 posts, read 3,022,936 times
Quote:
6) Is there Canadian cars?
McLaughlin Carriage Company became General Motors after a merger with Buick. Many GM cars are designed and built in Canada even today.
Quote:
electronics?
Research In Motion for starters. The creators of the "smart phone."

You act like Canada is the only country that is similar to one of its neighbours. How about Austria and Germany? Russia and Belarus? Argentina and Uruguay? Belgium and the Netherlands? Canada isn't unique in this matter. We are a very unique country in many ways that you don't acknowledge.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:30 AM

10,567 posts, read 12,766,264 times
Quote:

WHAT one rain storm of the century and a river over flows and our infrastructure is pathetic? Not true...Go to mafia town - Montreal...their corruption has led to a totally rotted out infrastructure...most American bridges are rotted out and need replacement...oh and not everything is about PRIDE in Canada...some of us are moderate and not big on pride.....I might bad mouth Toronto for what it is socially- but as far as a city - we are solid...so maybe bad mouth the people but not our real estate. YOU with your post just cost us a million bucks in tourist revenue.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,011,809 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't.
I remember last year one day during rush hour the TTC shut its subway from Union to Bloor because there was 25mm of rain, or an inch. Do you think any city would have the same issue?

Canada is hardly first world. Maybe you believe so, or the UN says so. I don't buy it. Here are some examples

1) the TTC - national shame. Are we in 1985?
2) our train system (VIA is really pathetic in terms of both speed and comfort).
3) popularity of window unit A/C (oh, God, it is phased out in even many developing countries years ago. How are they still being used in houses and apartments )
4) those hot water tanks every houses seem to have one (you will find it hard to see them outside N.A.)
5) convenience of online shopping, availability of consumer products
6) Is there Canadian cars? high tech products? electronics? brand name clothing?

none of them screams "advanced first world country". Many Canadians seem to live in the bubble that we lead the world in terms of technology and lifestyle while in fact even developing countries are laughing at us for how backward things are.
These examples are what define your sense of pride for your country?
While you are certainly within your rights to hold such views they seem a tad shallow.
Why not change your perspective and up the bar...
http://www.mommykatandkids.com/wp-co..._z-614x430.jpg

Last edited by jambo101; 07-24-2013 at 02:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada