U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:56 PM
 
1,723 posts, read 5,145,920 times
Reputation: 1351

Advertisements

Very true. If people from Toronto could pick up and move to Los Angeles, or Miami, or Seattle, or New York... a lot of them would. The city would be but a fraction of the size it is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
3,401 posts, read 1,922,975 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
No point in sending good money in after bad. Knock it down and plow it under, put in greenhouses.

.
I watched a documentary on Detroit's collapse yesterday, people are doing just this. Open fields rather than greenhouses, but that's what's happening.

Interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Calgary, AB
3,401 posts, read 1,922,975 times
Reputation: 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Very true. If people from Toronto could pick up and move to Los Angeles, or Miami, or Seattle, or New York... a lot of them would. The city would be but a fraction of the size it is now.
Once upon a time, going by population, the fourth largest Canadian city was Los Angeles. Strange, but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2013, 09:31 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
Reputation: 4898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You may have heard or read about the financial woes of Detroit. Let's play a game and assume Detroit were to (re)join Canada. What solutions would Canada offer to improve Detroit?
Canada probably could fix Detroit, actually, through one simple move. In Canada, municipalities are creatures of the province and the province can merge municipalities if they determine it's for the common good, even if one of the municipalities doesn't want to. It happened in the last few decades to both the city of Toronto and the city of Montreal when they were merged with adjacent suburbs. Detroit is actually a wealthy metro area that's simply abandoned it's central (and most geographically strategic) portion due to the dynamics of municipal politics. If Canada got all of Metro Detroit the province could merge the city of 700,000 with the surrounding 5 million people to make one mega city and use the taxes from the regional government to rehabilitate the central city from it's current dire state. The problem is that the municipalities in metro Detroit act in self interested ways that aren't always beneficial for the metro as a whole. Having a fallen central city is bad for the PR and business prospects of the whole area and people don't care how nice your suburb is if it's in a metro where the central city, the public face of the region, is getting this terrible press. By merging the region the city would be able to get out of it's terrible state, draw on the talent pool of the whole metro to have better candidates for political office, and the resulting rising tide for Detroit would bring new momentum to the whole area, which would be seen as having made an about face from depressing to inspiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 03:56 AM
 
103 posts, read 138,355 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Canada probably could fix Detroit, actually, through one simple move. In Canada, municipalities are creatures of the province and the province can merge municipalities if they determine it's for the common good, even if one of the municipalities doesn't want to. It happened in the last few decades to both the city of Toronto and the city of Montreal when they were merged with adjacent suburbs. Detroit is actually a wealthy metro area that's simply abandoned it's central (and most geographically strategic) portion due to the dynamics of municipal politics. If Canada got all of Metro Detroit the province could merge the city of 700,000 with the surrounding 5 million people to make one mega city and use the taxes from the regional government to rehabilitate the central city from it's current dire state. The problem is that the municipalities in metro Detroit act in self interested ways that aren't always beneficial for the metro as a whole. Having a fallen central city is bad for the PR and business prospects of the whole area and people don't care how nice your suburb is if it's in a metro where the central city, the public face of the region, is getting this terrible press. By merging the region the city would be able to get out of it's terrible state, draw on the talent pool of the whole metro to have better candidates for political office, and the resulting rising tide for Detroit would bring new momentum to the whole area, which would be seen as having made an about face from depressing to inspiring.
If Ontario did not have a massive debt maybe you could see something like that working but Ontario is not in good shape now you add Detroit then that debt gets even bigger now as for the idea of a mega city as i said you take the debt of ONtario and Detroit well things would not be good and would have very little support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Very true. If people from Toronto could pick up and move to Los Angeles, or Miami, or Seattle, or New York... a lot of them would. The city would be but a fraction of the size it is now.
True. And don't forget the bay area.
I would say most of the immigrants would choose these cities over Toronto, if immigrating to the US is equally easy.
Many locals would too, for better career, cheaper housing and better weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Reputation: 7586
Windsor should annex Detroit. The new city will have a population of 920k and become the fourth largest city in Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2013, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Lower east side of Toronto
10,586 posts, read 10,785,373 times
Reputation: 9293
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Windsor should annex Detroit. The new city will have a population of 920k and become the fourth largest city in Canada.
Best idea yet...bend the boarder and give us Detroit. The old hippy left would be growing tomatoes in soil tainted by lead and then feed them to poor black families...great plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 03:27 AM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,179,926 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Windsor should annex Detroit. The new city will have a population of 920k and become the fourth largest city in Canada.

Can we just take downtown? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,502,639 times
Reputation: 4898
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
If Ontario did not have a massive debt maybe you could see something like that working but Ontario is not in good shape now you add Detroit then that debt gets even bigger now as for the idea of a mega city as i said you take the debt of ONtario and Detroit well things would not be good and would have very little support.
Who said anything about Ontario? It'd probably be a territory initially, or transition to the province of Canadian Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top