Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 11:34 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times

Advertisements

You may have heard or read about the financial woes of Detroit. Let's play a game and assume Detroit were to (re)join Canada. What solutions would Canada offer to improve Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,677,694 times
Let's fix our pathetic economic dependence on the US first. When Detroit goes, all the auto factories and jobs in southern Ontario go with it. How many jobs hinge on the American auto industry. We are like the Foxconn for Detroit.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,760,764 times
Some Canadians find Detroit a great place to visit. Do they visit the "hip" areas (Corktown, Greektown) or all parts of the city?

Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM

103 posts, read 169,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
You may have heard or read about the financial woes of Detroit. Let's play a game and assume Detroit were to (re)join Canada. What solutions would Canada offer to improve Detroit?
The issue is Canada is not that well off Ontario and Quebec both have massive debts the Atlantic coast has a big debt the only areas doing well is Alberta.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:40 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,238,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I do not think Quebec and Ontario provincial Government(s) or the Canadian Federal Government could afford to Bail out Detroit either.

It just has way too much debt and we would be in the same bind as the Michigan State and U.S. Federal Government are in with it now in dealing with the cities massive deficit.

To be honest I have no idea how you would go about bringing the Motor City back to it's former Glory days.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 PM

230 posts, read 534,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
I do not think Quebec and Ontario provincial Government(s) or the Canadian Federal Government could afford to Bail out Detroit either.

It just has way too much debt and we would be in the same bind as the Michigan State and U.S. Federal Government are in with it now in dealing with the cities massive deficit.

To be honest I have no idea how you would go about bringing the Motor City back to it's former Glory days.
I wouldn't know where to begin either but one thing is for certain: if Detroit were in Canada, all the afflications that have plagued the city - deindustrialization, racial tension, the housing crisis, etc. - either never would have happened or would have been FAR less pronounced. Canada's history of paternalistic concern for the societal good would never allow a city of such magnitude to become a barren wasteland.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:34 PM

14,723 posts, read 14,892,538 times
No point in sending good money in after bad. Knock it down and plow it under, put in greenhouses.

Old 07-22-2013, 02:14 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,431,657 times
Given the state of disrepair of some of the buildings either commercial or residential that would be impossible to renovate back into service, knocking them down sooner rather than later would be a place to start.

Putting crews to work demolishing, shredding, recycling to return those lots to vacant property suitable for development could employ thousands and tax incentives for business's to locate on those empty sites might serve to entice some industrial, commercial, residential rejuvenation.

The city as it stands now is a blight on the landscape. Put some welfare recipients to work with sledges and wheelbarrows.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:50 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,551,139 times
It's not a fair comparison on how Canada does not allow it's cities to fall into rack and ruin the way the USA does. It certainly is not just Detroit falling into complete rack and ruin but many many US cities face the same plight.

The reason I say it's completely different is this. In Canada most of major cities lie on the best land we have. They are mostly in the south of the country and there are few alternatives and for that reason we preserve our cities even during hard times. That is not the case in the USA. There is an alternative to those rust belt cities on better lands with better climates. People can go west or south and find places to live that could even be better than where they came from. Take Buffalo for example. It's lost three quarters of it's population in the last 60 years. I'm sure the ex Buffalonians are living in places as good or better than Buffalo.

In Canada the relocation choices are a small fraction of those in the USA.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:44 PM

297 posts, read 471,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
It's not a fair comparison on how Canada does not allow it's cities to fall into rack and ruin the way the USA does. It certainly is not just Detroit falling into complete rack and ruin but many many US cities face the same plight.

The reason I say it's completely different is this. In Canada most of major cities lie on the best land we have. They are mostly in the south of the country and there are few alternatives and for that reason we preserve our cities even during hard times. That is not the case in the USA. There is an alternative to those rust belt cities on better lands with better climates. People can go west or south and find places to live that could even be better than where they came from. Take Buffalo for example. It's lost three quarters of it's population in the last 60 years. I'm sure the ex Buffalonians are living in places as good or better than Buffalo.

In Canada the relocation choices are a small fraction of those in the USA.
True. I would totally be willing to leave my small Connecticut for California. I doubt many people would want to leave lets say Calgary for The northwest territories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada