U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 AM

8,581 posts, read 11,067,923 times

Advertisements

Canadian thanksgiving is Columbus Day.

The Canadian shopping equivalent to black Friday is Boxing Day (the day after Christmas). When we first moved to the states we didn't buy a ton of decorations etc. thinking they'd be on blowout right after Christmas, not realizing that by the time Christmas rolls around the stores are all out of the holidays already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:47 AM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
Turkey is really cheap around Thanksgiving in the States i was down there a couple years ago and i paid $20 for a 25 pound turkey in Canada last year i paid $45 for the same size.
Go for broke next time and buy a fresh turkey, you'll never go back...

Old 07-24-2013, 09:49 AM

10,900 posts, read 23,173,761 times
When I have to do the hosting and cooking of the Bird at my place I just go for a Frozen Pre stuffed Butterball where you set it and forget it and just baste it once every half-hour-45 minutes.

Which is why most years the rest of family has me over and just ask me Bring a nice hearty bottle of wine and a side dish and so far so good..

Old 07-24-2013, 02:24 PM

12,680 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
When I have to do the hosting and cooking of the Bird at my place I just go for a Frozen Pre stuffed Butterball where you set it and forget it and just baste it once every half-hour-45 minutes.

Which is why most years the rest of family has me over and just ask me Bring a nice hearty bottle of wine and a side dish and so far so good..
Sneaky. I like that.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
So is Thanksgiving as big of a deal in Canada (anglo-canada of course, I know french-canadians don't care) as it is in the US? Any unique thanksgiving traditions in Canada or is it just similiar to the US (football and parades)? Does the whole family get together to celebrate it as in the US? Oh and by the way I know that the dates are different, Thanksgiving in Canada is in October not November, so don't mention this as one of the differences.
Not true, we aren't talking about people from France here, French Canadians have been celebrating Thanksgiving for many centuries now and it's about equally as important a holiday for Canadians of both linguistic groups, which is to say it's not one of our most important holidays but everyone enjoys having a nice big meal with their families on the day off they get in mid October.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM

42 posts, read 49,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
I agree also.

I remember one of my first Easter's in NYC. We arrived on Good Friday and my Mom and I were shock that it was business as usual. Even more surprised when I moved down to " buckle of the bible belt" it was just another day.
Good Friday is de-facto holiday in the United States. 13 states observes Good Friday as legal holiday, which means that state buildings, courts, dmv, etc. are closed in those states. Buses/Public transportation usually runs on holiday schedule. Most public schools are also closed for Good Friday, either as a holiday of its own or part of spring break. Many private companies do close for Good Friday. However, Good Friday is not a federal holiday yet, but it is not necessary since Good Friday mass is during evening when people are off from work, but most leave few hours earlier. Banks and Postal offices follow federal holidays, so they are open (some close earlier). U.S. Financial and Stock market is closed on Good Friday.
In the U.S., there is no law that mandate any private companies to observe any holiday(s).

I worked in 8 different companies in New York City, all of them were closed for Good Friday, including 2 Jewish companies. When I worked for federal government, they let us leave at 12 pm on Good Friday (or take holiday off).

Easter Sunday is a major holiday in America just like in Canada. Most places normally open on Sundays are closed for Easter.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM

42 posts, read 49,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
Turkey is really cheap around Thanksgiving in the States i was down there a couple years ago and i paid $20 for a 25 pound turkey in Canada last year i paid $45 for the same size.
ShopRite in the U.S. gives free turkey or ham when you purchase for certain amount of money. We always receive free super large turkey for thanksgiving.

Old 12-11-2016, 01:11 AM

59 posts, read 31,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docman View Post
So is Thanksgiving as big of a deal in Canada (anglo-canada of course, I know french-canadians don't care) as it is in the US? Any unique thanksgiving traditions in Canada or is it just similiar to the US (football and parades)? Does the whole family get together to celebrate it as in the US? Oh and by the way I know that the dates are different, Thanksgiving in Canada is in October not November, so don't mention this as one of the differences.
People misinterpret the meaning of Thanksgiving when it is simply a time that many can rejoice in quality special time with loved ones, family, friends, give thanks for all that we have and even glory to God for all that he continues to provide us. It is supposed to be a blessed positive time.

With all that said, Ben Shapiro had a good analysis of the truth of Thanksgiving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNL-cpbGygg

Old 12-11-2016, 10:07 AM

261 posts, read 202,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not true, we aren't talking about people from France here, French Canadians have been celebrating Thanksgiving for many centuries now and it's about equally as important a holiday for Canadians of both linguistic groups, which is to say it's not one of our most important holidays but everyone enjoys having a nice big meal with their families on the day off they get in mid October.
I know this post is more than three years old, but it's in fact true that Thanksgiving is much less important among francophones (at least in Quebec) than among anglophones. In English-speaking Canada it's a holiday to spend with family, while among Quebec francophones it's a day off work, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada