Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:08 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,158,858 times

Advertisements

It is amusing to see the number of Americans who accept British knighthoods which are doled out by British politicians. But it is strange to see a country that is a republic allowing it's citizens to accept knighthoods from the politicians of a constitutional monarchy. And no they are not honourary knighthoods that are given to Americans they are real, well as real as anything chosen by a politician can be. So my question is this, if a country full of revolting colonials can accept them why does a Royal Realm not set up it's own knighthoods like NZ has done ? Yes I read about the Nickle Resolution but I cannot see why those who have EARNED it cannot be awarded a Canadian knighthood. Who should get them easy, just give it the Ed Hillary test, has this person done as much as Hillary did
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,418,213 times
Meh. Let'em have it. No skin off my nose. lol

Why care?

Are you sure they aren't honourary? They can't go around calling themselves "Sir" or "Dame", from what I understand.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:19 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,533,632 times
As far as I know Canadians can not be knighted, or accept a peerage. That is why Conrad Black had to give up his citizenship in order to get his.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,299,034 times
Cause having say a "Sir" Justin beiber would only Ruin our national image and be a source of jokes for TMZ

Only person deserving of knighthood recently would be Chris Hadfield IMO

Old 07-20-2013, 08:26 PM
pdw

2,674 posts, read 3,089,719 times
We have our Order of Canada. It's odd though, I agree, when you think about it when we've had 7 knights as Prime Ministers, yet we can't be knighted today.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Meh. Let'em have it. No skin off my nose. lol

Why care?

Are you sure they aren't honourary? They can't go around calling themselves "Sir" or "Dame", from what I understand.
Nope they are not honourary for one good reason, if a yank who was awarded a knighthood became a British citizen he would then be known as sir etc.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,035 times
It is kind of weird that we ended knighthood in Canada, but since we did it would probably feel arcane and strange to bring it back now in the modern age. It's one thing when it's something from history which persists, but I think people might view it as kind of archaic to bring it back now in a country that no longer has any knights. I still think it'd be sort of cool to have the knighthood back though.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:45 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
It is amusing to see the number of Americans who accept British knighthoods which are doled out by British politicians. But it is strange to see a country that is a republic allowing it's citizens to accept knighthoods from the politicians of a constitutional monarchy. And no they are not honourary knighthoods that are given to Americans they are real, well as real as anything chosen by a politician can be. So my question is this, if a country full of revolting colonials can accept them why does a Royal Realm not set up it's own knighthoods like NZ has done ? Yes I read about the Nickle Resolution but I cannot see why those who have EARNED it cannot be awarded a Canadian knighthood. Who should get them easy, just give it the Ed Hillary test, has this person done as much as Hillary did
Hi! Dumb American here. First, not everyone can receive such an award. It has been forbidden since our Constitution was ratified:

Quote:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
My question is, what do you mean by politician? Are you saying that the Queen is a politician?

Finally, I do think if you dig a bit you might become aware that the knighthoods are honorary unless the person is a subject under the Commonwealth. Recipients can use the letters after the end of their name but the cannot be addressed as "sir" or "dame". If they later become a citizen under the Crown they can apply for an "upgrade".

Sincerely,

A Revolting Colonial

Old 07-22-2013, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Hi! Dumb American here. First, not everyone can receive such an award. It has been forbidden since our Constitution was ratified:

My question is, what do you mean by politician? Are you saying that the Queen is a politician?

Finally, I do think if you dig a bit you might become aware that the knighthoods are honorary unless the person is a subject under the Commonwealth. Recipients can use the letters after the end of their name but the cannot be addressed as "sir" or "dame". If they later become a citizen under the Crown they can apply for an "upgrade".

Sincerely,

A Revolting Colonial
Strange that since Eisenhower every US president has accepted a knighthood from UK politicians, no yanks are never awarded the Garter which is the personal gift of the crown, the queen dishes them out but the people picked are picked by politicians for normal knighthoods. Nope no upgrade needed it is automatic for a person holding a knighthood who becomes British or a New Zealand citizen to be known as sir etc.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,758,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Strange that since Eisenhower every US president has accepted a knighthood from UK politicians, no yanks are never awarded the Garter which is the personal gift of the crown, the queen dishes them out but the people picked are picked by politicians for normal knighthoods. Nope no upgrade needed it is automatic for a person holding a knighthood who becomes British or a New Zealand citizen to be known as sir etc.
It is not my intention to get hyper-technical but let's start off with the every part. First, the hyper technical would be, is someone a president after they leave office or are you saying that they were knighted while in office? I think that would lead to impeachment.

And when you say "every" do you mean "2" ? I think we've had more than two presidents since Eisenhower.

The part in red is difficult to parse but I assume you didn't mean a double negative. As it reads it would mean that yanks are awarded the Garter but I assume there's a missing comma. I am not a grammar Nazi but in this case this comma would seem important.

The two former presidents that were knighted became members of the GCB. I seriously doubt any politician was involved with their selection as they were pretty chummy with your queen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada