Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 04:33 PM

14,848 posts, read 21,376,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
The issue is some get out of school who really did not learn all that much it was just all sports.
In the United States, the sports and activities take place after classes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:53 PM

103 posts, read 168,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
In the United States, the sports and activities take place after classes...
While the games are after class but there is travel plus players do work out etc i am not saying this is bad just pointing out travel and so on can be a factor.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:58 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,248,412 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands

Yes, how disgusting of those schools offering
full paid scholarships to athletic kids to a program of their choice. Graduating
with zero to little student debt sounds absolutely terrible...
Our students already graduate with zero or little debt. Our universities are heavily subsidized. I put myself through university working in a coffee shop. No debt. My niece graduated from medical school, McGill, working at a sushi restaurant. No debt. The total cost of her education was about one tenth what it would cost in the US.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:41 PM

484 posts, read 1,278,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Our students already graduate with zero or little debt. Our universities are heavily subsidized. I put myself through university working in a coffee shop. No debt. My niece graduated from medical school, McGill, working at a sushi restaurant. No debt. The total cost of her education was about one tenth what it would cost in the US.
Ah, the myth that Canadian students graduate with little debt compare to US students. The truth is that average Canadian student will graduate with $28,000 in student loan debt. Here's the kicker, the average US student will graduate with $26,600 in student loan debt.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:59 PM

15,084 posts, read 14,248,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
Ah, the myth that Canadian students graduate with little debt compare to US students. The truth is that average Canadian student will graduate with $28,000 in student loan debt. Here's the kicker, the average US student will graduate with $26,600 in student loan debt.
That's odd. My niece's total cost of her medical school was about $26,500. The total cost for a US medical school is about a quarter million dollars.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM

484 posts, read 1,278,882 times
Quote:
That's odd. My niece's total cost of her medical school was about $26,500. The total cost for a US medical school is about a quarter million dollars.
The numbers I started are for undergrad. Your niece went to Med school in Quebec,which you know is an anomaly when it comes to tuition fees. The Average Med School tuition in Canada is $12k, but med school tuition in Canada is all over the place and many med school students can end up with 75K+ in debt.

When Canadians usually here the exorbitant prices of American Universities, it's usually Private institution. Public universities are also heavily subsidized. It's still more expensive then ours, but it not outrageous tens of thousands of dollars that you hear in the Media.

Also Unlike Canadian students, American students (especially private universities) also receive substantial subsides, grants and scholarships. So many of them end up paying a percentage of those outrageous fees. That's why the average student debt is similar between the 2 countries.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:20 PM

3,847 posts, read 5,244,251 times
Quote:
What exactly does this have to do with US Schools offering generous athletic scholarships? Where exactly was I encouraging Canadian Institutions to do the same?

The fact in my situation is that my wife who attended UofT for her undergrad, graduated with more student debt than me who attended a school in the US. So see we can both play this "someone I know" game and go around in circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
The numbers I started are for undergrad. Your niece went to Med school in Quebec,which you know is an anomaly when it comes to tuition fees. The Average Med School tuition in Canada is $12k, but med school tuition in Canada is all over the place and many med school students can end up with 75K+ in debt.

When Canadians usually here the exorbitant prices of American Universities, it's usually Private institution. Public universities are also heavily subsidized. It's still more expensive then ours, but it not outrageous tens of thousands of dollars that you hear in the Media.

Also Unlike Canadian students, American students (especially private universities) also receive substantial subsides, grants and scholarships. So many of them end up paying a percentage of those outrageous fees. That's why the average student debt is similar between the 2 countries.
I was going to write something similar, but you said it much better. So rep point and an for you.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 PM

45,680 posts, read 23,802,519 times
High School Football in the States is not a HUGE event in every state. It's a regional thing. I live in the southeast and yes high school football is a big deal, and college football even bigger. They both provide a sense of community and loyalty to the school. My son participates in the marching band and we go to every home game. It's a fun night. THe football players are required to meet the same academic standards as non-athletes. Colleges do offer lucrative scholarships for top athletes because those athletes and their success bring much needed and appreciated alumni support and donations.

Even at the college level the athletes have minimum academic standards that must be met. Sure, sure -- they may not be worked as hard as some but that's true with any college. A liberal arts degree is a liberal arts degree, whether or not you are a football player or not.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:03 AM

4,869 posts, read 10,466,407 times
My highschool did not have a football team, although we did have a rugby team, probably because the epuipment was much cheaper. Unlike much of the US, however, the sport could not be played year round which probably contributed to it not being as big a deal. The kids who played rugby loved it and were really into the game, but it wasn't something many kids who weren't in rugby went to watch. It was fun, but not a big part of the school culture or community. Rugby was probably the most popular team sport organized by local schools, but most team sports were not associated with schools. There were some prominent football teams in the area but they were community league things, and one of my neighbours ended up playing at Concordia University after doing really well on the local team, which I'd sometimes see playing in the park. The most serious sports leagues the real athletes were involved in were the swim teams associated with the various local pools, the hockey teams of course which were serious but also community leagues, the soccer teams, and the rowing teams (we were on an island). These were all higher level athletics then the high school rugby teams, which were mostly inclusive, recreational endeavours that didn't try to be that serious, unlike the conpetitive community leagues that had larger populations to draw on than just a few grades that were old enough in one school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada