U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:57 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,147,924 times

Advertisements

My highschool had a football team. Actually, to the best of my knowledge, every highschool in Windsor/Essex County has a football team. Good ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,748,542 times
My high school in Toronto had a football team. Actually, it had three: bantam, junior, and senior. Games were on Friday afternoons, and the turnout to watch was pretty good, as the school gave us the afternoon off to go to the games. At the senior level, I'd say the quality of play was excellent, by high school standards.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM

22 posts, read 37,239 times
It was pretty popular and a big deal to play football at my school but no where close to what it is in the States.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:10 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
Interesting question: in what provinces is high school level Canadian football most popular? It seems from this thread that it's quite popular in Ontario, but where is it less popular and where is it more popular? Is it popular in the Maritimes? BC? Newfoundland? My intuition tells me it'd be popular in the prairies, or at least Saskatchewan, but perhaps it's not as popular in, say, Manitoba? Does it vary within a province, like not being popular in Montreal, but perhaps being popular in Gatineau?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Interesting question: in what provinces is high school level Canadian football most popular? It seems from this thread that it's quite popular in Ontario, but where is it less popular and where is it more popular? Is it popular in the Maritimes? BC? Newfoundland? My intuition tells me it'd be popular in the prairies, or at least Saskatchewan, but perhaps it's not as popular in, say, Manitoba? Does it vary within a province, like not being popular in Montreal, but perhaps being popular in Gatineau?
I'd say the only province where it is not reasonably popular these days is Newfoundland.

Most of Quebec for a long time was not particularly into football but of late the success of the CFL Alouettes, very successful university programs at universities like Laval, Montréal and Sherbrooke and also at the junior college (CEGEP) level has also spurred interest and the creation of teams in high schools across the province.

Note though that in most parts of Quebec you don't generally have minor football for ages below high school or for teens outside of the high school teams.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,931,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
High school football has become very popular here in Quebec City following Laval's success. I would say it is now the clear #2 youth sport after hockey in terms of its profile (as opposed to participation numbers, where I'm sure soccer is still ahead).

But it's still nowhere close to parts of the US. When I lived in Pittsburgh, a Wednesday weather report would have a tidbit about the Friday 7pm kickoff weather, game highlights would be on the Friday evening local news, and regional quarterfinals would make the front page of the sports section.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:52 PM

201 posts, read 268,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The scholarships are tiny and not provided by the universities, but through private funding.
The athletic scholarships are part of the athletic department budget at most CIS schools. Some (like Laval) have private funding that makes up the shortfall in the department, most of which is spent on coaches salaries and equipment.

Canadian high school football is a growing market but doesn't draw the same attention or media coverage although some new companies are trying to make up that gap as well. As someone that works with high school athletes I wish there was better coverage.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 180 times
There are plenty of Americans that are disgusted and embarrassed by the sports culture here and what it says about all of us. But, it's all about worship of the primary deity, money, carried to extreme. All else is secondary, so yes, you have to wince when a mic is shoved in a "student" athlete's face.

Don't get me wrong. I love the game; played football in high school, but still.....

Old 01-31-2019, 09:45 PM

418 posts, read 632,504 times
Having played football in high school, I can attest that it was nowhere near the level of US school football. We had a good team and advanced to the provincial championship one year, but most regular season games had virtually no fans in attendance.

I see no point in trying to make some kind of moral judgment about the differences. It's just how it is.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:36 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
The HS program that I could think of that plays at a pretty high level: https://www.hudl.com/team/v2/53699/C...enior-Football

Also, another thing I know is that some Canadian kids may go to a private school in say Buffalo to play football. A couple of examples I can think of, played at St. Francis just south of Buffalo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akeel_Lynch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLLmygP6QV4

Played at Canisius HS in Buffalo: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercer_Timmis
https://www.hudl.com/profile/450600/Mercer-Timmis
Now plays for the Hamilton Ti-Cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or