U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:29 AM

103 posts, read 138,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Canada doesn't have a "system". It is ten different provincial systems, all of which meet a minimum national standard of portability and universality. It is a "crazy argument" to say that a Manitoba system can work, but a Kansas system cannot, because it is somehow "regulated differently". Canada's ten systems are also "regulated differently" from each other. Each province created their own universal health care system, at different times (Saskatchewan was first), and when they had all done so, the national government enacted a mandate that they all need to conform with certain standards.

Your objection has absolutely no basis in fact, and if you have any legitimate fact-based reasons why it "wouldn't work", please present them.

Why not? Your doctor visits are free -- they are paid for by all the other insured subscribers to your insurance company's health plan. Why do you think it is "free" if a public agency owns and regulates the underwriting of the risk, but it is not "free" if it is done by a private corporation whose first and only concern is the profits that they make off your premiums?

I can hardly wait to see the look on your face when you have to take out a student loan to send your kids to grade school, which is no longer free. Of the cop on your neighborhood beat comes around every month to collect for "protection", which is no longer free. Or you have to drop a coin into a slot at every stop sign, to turn onto a street that is no longer free. Or you and your neighbors have to get up at 3 am to shovel the snow out of your street, which is no longer done free.
Grade school is not free its paid via taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:58 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,754,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Canada has 10 provinces that each run their own health care systems. Why couldn't 50 states do the same thing?
We do, some argue Massachusetts has the best health care in the US.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:12 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,042,292 times
Quote:

How Would A Canadian Health System Work In The U.S?
I'm not sure it would. If the US truly has a 47% underclass, then there won't be enough people to pay into it.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM

6,573 posts, read 9,092,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We do, some argue Massachusetts has the best health care in the US.
The Massachusetts system seems to be very costly.

Message from health insurers: Massachusetts health care costs are heading up in 2013 - Boston.com

Old 07-25-2013, 12:20 PM

6,573 posts, read 9,092,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I'm not sure it would. If the US truly has a 47% underclass, then there won't be enough people to pay into it.
Then you have the issue of lost revenue related to the 70-something million retiring baby boomers.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,042,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Then you have the issue of lost revenue related to the 70-something million retiring baby boomers.
Not mention illegals working under the table. With single-payer, would hospitals still be obliged to treat them in ER? We don't have many, and they get deported if caught.
Too many people not paying into the system.
It sounds good in theory, but the US would have to get more people off welfare, do something about the illegals and slam the southern border shut.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:14 PM

12,716 posts, read 8,796,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I am curious, who does these follow up home visits. Actual doctors or nurses?
Not doctors, a nurse came by , in the case of my throat cancer friend. They also gave him a phone number to call anytime with questions or if he needed help.
In the my mother's case it was home care people to help her bathe, make lunch etc. This was for I believe 3 or 4 weeks after her surgery. After that we have the option to pay for private home care. She didn't need it though.
Also in my mothers case, a nurse was there the first day and gave us a list of needed items such as a special toilet seat, hand bars in the baths etc.
It was great to have that guidance.

In both cases they had nothing but good to say about their experiences.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:33 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,861,279 times
Interesting thread, in Aus. we do have private insurers as well which seems to work for us especially for elective surgery.
As an employer I pay my lads insurance, works out to be around A$100 a month for the elective system.
For anything serious they are straight into the Aussie Medicare system.
Yes our surgeons do work in both the Medicare and Insurance based surgery systems.
Being just over sixty every time I am due to see the doctor I'm first jumped on by a gang of nurses who take my weight,blood pressure etc etc etc.

Health care in Australia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 AM

43,607 posts, read 52,806,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayme2015 View Post
About 10 years ago i had my gallbladder out it was a long wait but if i was in the States there is no way i would have been able to afford it.
You wouldn't have been able to afford $600?

That was the going cost at our residency hospital about 10 years ago.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 AM

103 posts, read 138,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You wouldn't have been able to afford $600?

That was the going cost at our residency hospital about 10 years ago.
It would have cost me about $5000 just for the surgery that does not include travel and if i had to stay in the hospital as i did look into this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or