U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Reputation: 8193

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
No, prices are not listed for items on the Shoppers Drug Mart site. Some sale items are listed. But try to Search and find the price of a specific item. It's not possible.

Maybe you should investigate before putting someone else down.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think Shopper's had online shopping. I think Shoppers stores have different things on sale at different stores which would be the reason why they have their flyers online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2013, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I listed the store I am having trouble with including Target and Shoppers Drug Mart.

Don't even get me started on the price of books in Canada. Even the e-books are more!---explain that. They're delivered electronically, no additional charges for shipping something all those additional hundreds of miles that apparently living near Toronto involves. Which is a joke anyway. If you live 60 miles from the U.S. border, how can shipping something from the U.S. to Southern Ontario cost more than shipping it to Montana?

I thought there was free trade between the U.S. and Canada, so why are all these expensive customs fees applied at the border?
Regarding books and shipping, as I understand it the US postal service offers a special lower postal rate for books and that is why it is cheaper to ship books within the US. Canada had a something or the other regarding books years ago, and then some changes were made to that. I'd have to try and search just what it was and right now, I don't feel like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 12:46 PM
 
1,723 posts, read 5,142,120 times
Reputation: 1351
Shipping is expensive in Canada, and that's one reason why online shopping hasn't become as popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
 
34,389 posts, read 41,490,319 times
Reputation: 29865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Don't even get me started on the price of books in Canada. Even the e-books are more!---explain that.
The technical mumbo-jumbo behind the book price difference, although it fals short in logic when it comes to E books
Booksellers blame U.S.-Canada price gap on old rules - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Also have you ever noticed the difference in car prices new or used between US/Can. astounding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
30,881 posts, read 31,773,106 times
Reputation: 12629
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The technical mumbo-jumbo behind the book price difference, although it fals short in logic when it comes to E books
Booksellers blame U.S.-Canada price gap on old rules - Arts & Entertainment - CBC News

Also have you ever noticed the difference in car prices new or used between US/Can. astounding.
Yup, we are being ripped off....Big time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,981,951 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
They don't. There are a few reasons for this.



But overall, I'd suggest that Canadians haven't taken to online shopping because it is ultimately less convenient for the retailer; and thus more expensive, in both time and money, for the consumer.
I disagree 100%. On-line shopping has significant savings for the retailer that offset shipping costs and things like that. They don't need to transport the item to a store, process it, shelve the item. They don't need to ring the item up, and then restock and re-shelve the item to replace it. They don't need to have the physical retail space or employees to sell the item. That is why Amazon can undercut brick and mortar store.

For me online shopping in the U.S. is great. I shop for everything but food online. I ordered many of my area rugs on-line. They were way too heavy and big for me to lug home from the store. They were delivered right to my doorstep for $2.95 shipping and handling. Same with heavy dressers and other furniture. Again shipping was maybe $9.95 and the deliverymen carried the item right into my bedroom. I also ordered a heavy air-conditioner this way. It's great for someone like me, a female, who doesn't have a truck or several men around to carry heavy items into the house for me.

For the air-conditioner I was able to go to many sites, compare specific features and get the best deal. I didn't have to drive around from store to store having sales people talk my ear off.

And nowadays for returns, many businesses will have UPS come right to your home to pick up the item, and there's a pre-paid free return label that you afix to the return.

Especially if distances are an issue in Canada, on-line shopping would save consumers and businesses money.

I would have even ordered my food on-line if I could have. It beats shopping in stores.

Last edited by ellemint; 07-25-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:38 PM
 
10,357 posts, read 7,981,951 times
Reputation: 4547
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Shipping is expensive in Canada, and that's one reason why online shopping hasn't become as popular.
Specifically for Ontario, why would shipping be more expensive if most of the population lives in a narrow crescent clustered at the American border? It can't be more than shipping to Texas.

Yes, if you're shipping to the far North, but if you're shipping to where most Canadians live I don't see how it's more expensive than in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
 
22 posts, read 37,283 times
Reputation: 19
Put your postal code in and it will show you all the prices.
Duh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 09:35 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,268,124 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Specifically for Ontario, why would shipping be more expensive if most of the population lives in a narrow crescent clustered at the American border? It can't be more than shipping to Texas.

Yes, if you're shipping to the far North, but if you're shipping to where most Canadians live I don't see how it's more expensive than in the U.S.
because of the stupid unions, which guarantee even a totally illiterate high school dropout gets to make $25 an hour with great benefits for just lifting things.

All this "Canada is a large country with few people" argument is BS.

My friend just moved back to the US a week ago and was complaining even at U-haul the moving boxes were sold three times the price they were in the States.

For those who think unions are protecting workers, think again. Another friend of mine was telling me that at the car assembly factory, CAW workers got to make $30-40 an hour, while at the same time he as a non-unionized worker works for $12 an hour at the same job and twice as hard. If a CAW worker is lazy or does something wrong, nothing happens, if he is lazy or does something wrong, he loses his job.

The unions and the associated socialism bankrupted GM and the entire Detroit. Let's hope they won't do the same to Ontario/Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2013, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Reputation: 7309
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
because of the stupid unions, which guarantee even a totally illiterate high school dropout gets to make $25 an hour with great benefits for just lifting things.

All this "Canada is a large country with few people" argument is BS.

My friend just moved back to the US a week ago and was complaining even at U-haul the moving boxes were sold three times the price they were in the States.

For those who think unions are protecting workers, think again. Another friend of mine was telling me that at the car assembly factory, CAW workers got to make $30-40 an hour, while at the same time he as a non-unionized worker works for $12 an hour at the same job and twice as hard. If a CAW worker is lazy or does something wrong, nothing happens, if he is lazy or does something wrong, he loses his job.

The unions and the associated socialism bankrupted GM and the entire Detroit. Let's hope they won't do the same to Ontario/Canada.
Blame the unions, blame the unions. It's such a tired rant. Auto workers in Japan are unionized, as they are in Germany.

The reason for Detroit's fail is not wages, but years of making crappy cars compared to their competition.

How Germany Builds Twice as Many Cars as the U.S. While Paying Its Workers Twice as Much - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top