Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in BC comes closest to the discription below?
Coquitlam 4 57.14%
Langley 2 28.57%
Abbotsford 2 28.57%
Chilliwack 2 28.57%
Maple Ridge 4 57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 PM

159 posts, read 576,940 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if there is anyone here with extensive knowledge of BC, who could help me find the best city/community that matches my criteria for making it my home in less than 3 years from now.

I'm currently living in Saskatoon, but in the summer of 2011 I'm hoping to move to a small to mid-sized city in BC, which matches the following criteria:
  • not too far away from a good University for my older daughter (she'll probably be studying graphic design or media) and within a short distance of an excellent Secondary school for my second daughter.
  • within 2 hours distance from Vancouver; far enough away from its high crime rate and density
  • surrounded by majestic mountains and beautiful scenery
  • big enough to have plenty of stores and a lively feel, but small enough not to have to deal with congested traffic; newer development rather than historic buildings
  • rain is not an issue, and snow is very welcome too; mild summers are a plus
  • relatively affordable real estate; newer construction a plus
Does such a place exist in BC? Or will I have to sacrifice any of the above mentioned criteria? I've read about some of the cities on the Net, and the following cities seem like a close match to what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure, especially about the crime rate and schools:
  1. Abbotsford
  2. Maple Ridge
  3. Langley
  4. Chilliwack
  5. Kelowna??
Any suggestions anyone? Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 12:11 PM

Why can't I make adjustments to my post above? I don't see how I can edit it.

Obviously I can edit this one, but not the old post. How does that work?

Anyway, since my first post I've learned more about the places I've mentioned (from other sources), but I'd still like to hear from people actually living in those places. What I'd like to know really is, where are the mountains more visible throughout the city (meaning, visible from most homes)? Coquitlam and Langley sound really attractive from what I've heard from some people. I hope to hear more positive things about these places, but I'd also like to know about the dark side, since all cities have good and bad qualities.

Thanks. (Hope to see some replies, since no one reacted to my first post... maybe it sounds too boring or whatever, that's why I wanted to edit it.)

Last edited by Zephora; 02-21-2009 at 12:24 PM..

Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,744,454 times
The editing feature times out after 30 minutes or so.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephora View Post
I'm wondering if there is anyone here with extensive knowledge of BC, who could help me find the best city/community that matches my criteria for making it my home in less than 3 years from now.

I'm currently living in Saskatoon, but in the summer of 2011 I'm hoping to move to a small to mid-sized city in BC, which matches the following criteria:
  • not too far away from a good University for my older daughter (she'll probably be studying graphic design or media) and within a short distance of an excellent Secondary school for my second daughter.
  • within 2 hours distance from Vancouver; far enough away from its high crime rate and density
  • surrounded by majestic mountains and beautiful scenery
  • big enough to have plenty of stores and a lively feel, but small enough not to have to deal with congested traffic; newer development rather than historic buildings
  • rain is not an issue, and snow is very welcome too; mild summers are a plus
  • relatively affordable real estate; newer construction a plus
Does such a place exist in BC? Or will I have to sacrifice any of the above mentioned criteria? I've read about some of the cities on the Net, and the following cities seem like a close match to what I'm looking for, but I'm not sure, especially about the crime rate and schools:
  1. Abbotsford
  2. Maple Ridge
  3. Langley
  4. Chilliwack
  5. Kelowna??
Any suggestions anyone? Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks for taking the time.
i can comment on the communities...i lived in the Vancouver area for awhile, not anymore now in the US, but i am familiar with many of the communities you mentioned.

Basically Chilliwack & Kelowna and to a certain extent Abbotsford are far enough away from Vancouver that they would be considered in their separate existence. Kelowna definitely is in a different part of the province and indeed farther than a couple hours away from Vancouver. Chilliwack & Abbotsford are smaller communities in the valley so they are more country in nature. Abbotsford has a small town feel and i'd say that it is distant enough to be away from the bad traffic, etc. yet most of the basic conveniences are there. I believe it is like 1.5 hrs away from Vancouver itself. Chilliwack is even smaller and farther away.

Maple Ridge, Langley, and Coquitlam are suburbs of Vancouver. The first two are surrounded by more country surroundings, Langley is a good combination of new growth, smaller-community-feel plus lots of stores, etc. Coquitlam also has some nice newer areas but it is more built-up as it is closer to the city, yet i remember it has a very suburban feel. Coquitlam is about half hour Vancouver city limits if traffic is good, you will have to add another 20 min to half hr to Vancouver coming from Langley or Maple Ridge. Cost of living wise, the most reasonable will probably be Abbotsford or Chilliwack followed by Maple Ridge or Langley. Also, to drive to Vancouver from Coquitlam you do not have to cross any bridges but you will have to for sure coming from the other communities, the bridges often bringing with them traffic snarls.

I think Kelowna is a decent place but it is really it's own separate entity. I would suggest probably Langley taking into account all the factors you mentioned. Coquitlam is pleasant too, being more centralized but it does have more traffic issues and is slightly more expensive.

Regarding schools, i belive all the communities except Chilliwack have their own decent post secondary institution. Also, the demographics of the communities are different therein affecting other things- Kelowna is known to be a retirement hotspot, also Langley and Maple Ridge have sizeable senior populations but also lots of younger families. Coquitlam will be the most diverse racially/ ethnically out of all the communities with also a good mix of all types of people. Abbotsford i remember is relatively diverse and multicultural as well.

Old 02-22-2009, 11:32 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
Maple Ridge had its real estate prices exploded about 7-8 years ago, before that it was a pleasant little town where one could buy a 3-br house with a 1/2-acre yard for $100,000. These houses are now half-mil plus. The secondary school is right in the community there, but you see no mountains or nature, just a suburban feeling. Same for Langley.

As long as comminities lay on the fast train track, you will always be within 1-2 hours from Vancouver.

Coquitlam and Port Coquitlam have insane real estate prices, too, and not as much scenery as you would hope for.

That leaves Abbotsford and Chilliwack. They are farther enough so people can have a piece of nature to themselves, are on the train track, and the farther away you move from Vancouver, the cheaper the real estate is. Of course the best would be to contact real estate offices and talk to them. They must be feeling some downturn in business now, a plus for you.

Simon Fraser University is half way between Vancouver and Coquitlam, so if that's what your child chooses, the better. UofBC is mostly in West Vancouver, but may have campuses elsewhere.

Kelowna is a far away city, in the Okanagan Valley, that's too far from Vancouver.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:30 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
UofBC is mostly in West Vancouver, but may have campuses elsewhere.
Just to clarify, UBC is located in Vancouver, not West Vancouver, in the neighbourhood of West Point Grey. They also have a campus "UBC Okanagan" in Kelowna.

Kelowna's is a 5 hour drive on the other side of a mountain range from Vancouver - winery/sagebrush/orchard country. Dry, hot summers and milder-than-Saskatoon but colder-than-Vancouver winters. It looks like southern California or South Australia, not at all like the lush temperate climate/ecosystems of coastal BC (ie: Vancouver).

I'll be back later on to make a more complete comparison.

One thing I should mention is that you shouldn't automatically assume that getting further away from Vancouver means you're going to a safer community. Abbotsford and Langley are drug grow-op/gangster hotbeds right now and is the location of the string of gang-related shootings. Kelowna is famous for car theft and drug circles as well. Vancouver and its suburbs are really no more or more less dangerous than Abbotsford or Kelowna, so don't automatically assume there's a correlation between crime and distance to Vancouver - there isn't. As somebody who grew up in Steveston and now lives in downtown Vancouver, as a single female who walks to work, takes public transit, etc, I don't fear where I live, even at night. Downtown Vancouver and Vancouver in general is a very safe place to live.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks so much for shedding more light, Nuala, f1000, Robynator (and Cornerguy1 for clearing up my confusion).

Being able to see the mountains is important to me... but when I hear about the shootings and gang violence on the news, I get scared. I don't know why I automatically assume it's mostly downtown Vancouver where the shootings take place, so thanks for clearing that up, Robynator.

I added Kelowna, because I hear a lot of good things about it, but it is too far away from the beautiful Pacific Coast.

I'm hoping to be able to afford at least a decent neighbourhood by 2011 with mountain views in BC, otherwise I'm not moving, because the area where I am in Saskatoon, is very nice... It's just that Saskatoon doesn't have much to offer and it's waaaaayyy too cold here in the winter (plus it seems to last forever).

Thanks again for all the input, hope to see more.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:41 PM

1,048 posts, read 6,443,224 times
How about Bowen Island?

Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robynator View Post
How about Bowen Island?
I don't know much about this place. If you don't mind, can you describe it?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,448,771 times
Actually, I looked at the West Coast Express website...

West Coast Express

...and this commuter train caters to towns off the transnational Highway #1. That means that Abbotsford and Chilliwack residents take the highway to drive to Vancouver.

Then there is a place called Mission (the last stop of the West Coast Express) that I heard good info about its nature.

I do not know about mountain views in those areas though. I drove through from Kelowna on Hwy 1 through Abbotsford and Chilliwack and the general feeling was of a farmland valley, with some mountain ridges in the distance. I don't know how close you want the mountains to be. The best view of them is in downtown Vancouver of course - those easily accessible mountains for skiing and "the grind".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada