U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 11:02 PM

10,357 posts, read 7,989,798 times

Advertisements

Canadians just don't seem to be very politically engaged, or interested in discussing their local or federal political situation. Why are they so disinterested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 11:49 PM

8,575 posts, read 7,156,222 times
i dont know but after living in the usa for 2 years ive grown to really appreciate it....and actually the number one thing that will most likely drive me back to my birth country
so much in fighting and separation within one country over something as simple as a different way to achieve the same damn goals.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:57 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,735,011 times
Most people in the U.S. don't talk politics much, but those that do are very loud and passionate about their beliefs (see C-D Politics forum) so it seems pretty insane, but really look at our voter turnout rate.

Canada, people seem more chill, no need to discuss abortion and gay rights since both are legal. Which are hot topics.
I have heard plenty of Canadians who are passionate about legalizing marijuana.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,757,065 times
Canadians are interested and engaged. I think that where they differ from Americans, though, is that they hold a number of different views that may or may not accord exactly with those of a political party. Perhaps this is because we have a number of different parties from which to choose, but I think it is also that there are so many positions on so many issues that no single party could accommodate all of an individual's views.

At any rate--and perhaps it is Canadians' legendary politeness coming to the fore--discussing possibly offensive political views with strangers in person is typically a no-no.

It should be noted that Canadians don't adopt an "all-or-nothing" position on issues, as our American friends seem to. It is entirely possible to be for lower taxes and higher foreign investment, while still supporting abortion and gay marriage. One can be for single-payer health care, while disagreeing that abortion and gender-reassignment surgery ought to be included in it. Heck, one can be against single-payer health care, while supporting increased family-class immigration. Some liberals (small "l") don't care about the environment; some conservatives (small "c") do. In short, you cannot expect that just because a Canadian supports Issue X, that he or she also supports Issues Y and Z, as seems to be the case with American Republicans and Democrats. Indeed, I'd guess that most Canadians are non-partisan; having their own positions on all the issues, while belonging to no party and voting for whoever seems to be the best suited for the job, according to their positions.

All that being said, however; take a look at the comments sections of the Globe and Mail or the National Post, and you'll see Canadians' ugly political discussion side. There, you will find that Stephen Harper is responsible for every ill that befalls us (even the weather), that Justin Trudeau is either the second coming of Christ or the Devil incarnate, and that Thomas Mulcair is no Jack Layton, no matter how hard he tries. Similarly, Toronto's Rob Ford must be a crack addict, Montreal's latest mayor-of-the-week will be up on corruption charges soon if he isn't already, and Naheed Nenshi of Calgary can walk on water. Except as a Muslim (according to some unabashedly Christian commentators here in southern Alberta), he had to wade through it.

We talk politics. Just not in the same way as Americans.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:35 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Probably because we dont have hundreds of rightwing talking heads/nut jobs on our radio stations or the likes of Limbaugh,Beck,Jones and FOX media whipping us into frenzies about many contrived and media generated tempests in teapots and the whole us vs them attitudes.
While we may have our differences with our politicians and various issues the whole hate factor isnt prevalent like it is in the USA, a brief trip to the forums politics section will soon have any Canadian wide eyed in disbelief at the ignorance and seething hatred that is just the normal fare for our American participants its like a festering wound laid open for all to see,Generally its an attitude of if you dont agree with my views you are some how my enemy and to be hated and called derogatory names, generally speaking at this point Canadians just havent been brainwashed into thinking like that. so you'll see nothing comparable in the Canadian section of this forum.
A classic example of this conflicting attitude is the recent discussion about the monarchy whereby an American opens a topic about Canadas affiliation with the monarchy in the Canadian section and while Canadians really are for the most part ambivalent about the issue our American participant is livid and literally foaming at the mouth with hatred ,disgust and rage at this monarchy issue and although many posts from Canadians are dedicated to basically telling him we dont care he continues to whip himself into a psychotic hateful frenzy on the issue. draw your own conclusions...

Last edited by jambo101; 07-25-2013 at 01:56 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 02:03 AM

7,281 posts, read 6,604,283 times
I think ChevySpoons nailed it on all aspects.

I will also add my own observations - that you may see some Canadians getting passionate about some aspects of their politics online (because they're usually anonymous when they're online and/or they're bored and have nothing better to do) but they'll decline to discuss their politics casually in face to face situations unless they're at a designated political meeting with like minded people.

My politics and my religion are the 2 things I might sometimes discuss online with reserve but I refuse to discuss them in person with anybody who is not a very close personal acquaintance or loved one, and even then I'm most likely to not discuss it with them either. In my personal life I think it's an impolite intrusion, it's nobody else's business and I don't want to have their politics or religion imposed upon me either. I don't think all Canadians feel the same way but I know that a very great many of them do. It's just not done.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:21 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
ChevySpoons had the best post and I also agree with Invincible except I haven't heard Canadians in much of an uproar about the legalization of marijuana. Doesn't mean he's wrong - I just haven't heard it.

I also agree with Jambo although I'd word it differently.

So in addition to all the points that have already been made and which I won't reiterate, I live in a very conservative community and I doubt my views on anything are the norm here. That doesn't mean that I won't state my views if I consider them important enough but I don't feel I have to hate others who don't share my views. And I suppose some of those in my community who don't share my views feel the same about me. But they don't hate me nor I them and there are always things to agree on.

And with some people, if views are opposite enough, I don't feel there is anywhere to go in sharing them. So why bother? I love good discussions and since my husband is a retired academic, we see interesting people all the time, and there's no lack of interesting discussions but from my point of view, what happens in the US looks like arguments which is something else altogether.

Perhaps our political discussion online don't get as heated because most Canadians don't feel locked into a party. I've known diehard conservatives to vote for the NDP. Ed Schreyer is a good example of that - my entire town went NDP back in those days because he was in favour of keeping small country schools open, he's still deeply loved here and back in the day, my Mom sat next to him when he visited the small rural school I went to. A relative worked for him when he was premier, and he is a diehard conservative.

So I think that local issues are discussed more and because online, we're not from the same area, you don't see as much discussion as there might be.

I think it was j.k.k, that made the point once in a separate thread that Canadians are more likely to know their MPs and I think that is true. I know a lot of people in the federal and provincial governments in all 3 parties. I see them at parties, funerals and weddings. I don't think I'm unique and I think that personal experience of the people who represent us, makes us 'regular' people less aggressive when we don't agree with what the official party line is.

So I think that local issues are discussed more and online here, we're not from the same area, and there aren't many of us, you don't see as much discussion as there might be if there were more of us, or more of us from the same area.

And with every party once a certain tipping point has been reached, that party is out of power. We aren't stuck with anyone for four straight years at a time. And when Canadians have had it, they have had it - just look at the PC party which was left with 2 seats some years back.

But maybe you are asking about threads Americans have made recently which didn't get a great reception. To which the response is simply that we aren't interested. Americans may think we should have a debate on the monarchy, as an example, but we ourselves aren't interested enough one way or the other. The fact that we aren't interested in a debate about that doesn't mean we aren't interested in politics.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:21 AM

34,435 posts, read 41,537,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

I also agree with Jambo although I'd word it differently.
That early in the morning it takes a while for the coffee to kick in so my post may not have been as tactful as it could have been..
Problem with topics like this one is broad generalities have to be made which usually involves much stereotyping of an entire country, many Americans i know just wont discuss politics and some Canadians i know are as rabid about political issues as any teaparty/birther member so much of my responses are from a generally speaking viewpoint or an IMO stand point..

Old 07-25-2013, 05:02 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That early in the morning it takes a while for the coffee to kick in so my post may not have been as tactful as it could have been..
Problem with topics like this one is broad generalities have to be made which usually involves much stereotyping of an entire country, many Americans i know just wont discuss politics and some Canadians i know are as rabid about political issues as any teaparty/birther member so much of my responses are from a generally speaking viewpoint or an IMO stand point..
you're one of my favourite posters.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:10 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,580,197 times
One of the biggest factors that fans the flames of political craziness in the USA is MONEY. Because big money is the major component of all American politics, election campaigning never stops. If you have not noticed, during an election, things in Canada become very similar to things in the USA. Attack ads, disinformation coming from all sides, etc. etc. Thankfully our campaigns are very short. From the calling of an election to voting day is what? 6 weeks or so. I have noticed that with even such a short period of electioneering, Canadians are pretty much fed up with the whole thing by the time it's finished.

Many of our American members probably don't realize just how proscribed political contributions are in this country.

Special interest groups are allowed exactly ZERO contributions. Lobby groups, corporations, unions etc. can not give any money at all. The only source of money for political parties are the people of Canada and the maximum is $1100 per year. That fact is the main reason that Canadian politics is not a crazed, insane, self serving mess it is in the USA.

The citizen's united case is probably the worst decision from the "Political" Supreme court of the USA in a long long time.
It undermines democracy, freedom and fully corrupts an already corrupt system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada