U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 12,184 times

Advertisements

I am a new comer to Cambridge and I am really dreading about it. Can you guys let me know if I go out at 7 pm for jogging I will meet other kind and smiling people who are jogging or else? I hope the city is not a totally quiet place where you long to see someone is passing beside.
Plus, it seems the most people in the city are white European. So, will they be friendly to a tanned skin with black hair Italian who knows good English but not like a native?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 02:00 PM

411 posts, read 1,150,666 times
While I don't live in Cambridge, I live in Waterloo, which is pretty close (within the limits of the public transit system).
I have a colleague at my workplace living there, and I've also visited the town quite often. There are many family oriented neighborhoods, new houses/settlements, real state slightly less expensive than in Waterloo. Not to mention that the parks and all the green areas are extremely nice.

Cambridge seems (but it may be only a superficial impression) more working class-oriented area. Because there are many factories there, so it's less service-oriented job market. This is in fact a good thing - sometimes too much white-coller job'ish type of area leads to snobism and higher prices. One thing I notice is: lawyers are much cheap than in Kitchener or Waterloo. Also, most of the ads on kitchener.kijiji.ca site originate from Cambridge - this is a very good thing by my books - showing that 'working class people' are more conscious with expenses and try to share/reuse things as much they can, and avoid waste.

You will have absolutely no problem being there as an Italian. Many Europeans are settled in the K-W-Cambridge area: Germans, Polish, Serbians, Romanians, Czech, Russians. And Italians of course. There are even some of Dutch origin it seems. Being a community largely based on European settlers, an European will feel better in this region than in other areas.

A slight drawback with the area is that even though it is in a growing trend/pains, the municipalities (especially the one from Waterloo) are trying to make too much money on their citizens and the taxes (especially the water rates) went on a dangerous increasing trend. That, and the fact that being a University city, Waterloo is starting to attract (and retain) too many people of Asian origin (Chinese especially - as they are well attracted to math/sciences and UofWaterloo is known for that). A bit of Indian population is also getting traction here - moving either from Toronto area or immigrating directly here, in most of the cases with job contracts/work permits.

Hope this is useful for you to make a more informed decision.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:34 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,963,742 times
Galt used to be called "the Manchester of Canada". I prefer the original name for the town. Does everyone call it "Cambridge" now? In some amalgamated municipalities, they refer to the original town and use the amalgamated name only in the context of the whole municipality. I wonder why this isn't the case in places like Thunder Bay and Cambridge?

Old 07-29-2013, 02:34 AM

7 posts, read 12,184 times
Dear samihaila,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience. It was useful information.
1- You know, I have lived in a crowded city so far. So I am dreading if Cambridge or waterloo are too quiet places, where you can rarely find people outside and will make me bored. Do you think if I go to a park for example at 7 pm for jogging or other sports I can see friendly people who are also play sports? What about weekends? People can be found out enjoying themselves?
2- If Cambridge is an industrialized area, has this lead to air pollution or heavy traffic in comparison to waterloo?
3- Are taxes higher in this area than other cities in Ontario?
4- Considering waterloo is attracting students, don’t you think this makes waterloo to have younger and more vibrant population?
Thank you very much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada