Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM

3,072 posts, read 5,207,861 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. If there was a law enacted in BC requiring certain business to only use English in the workplace based on number of employees, I can imagine there would be an uproar of "damn right you should speak English here!". I know people like to think of themselves as tolerant but I taught English in BC to immigrants and I know plenty of them dealt with very strong pressure to conform to English-only. In fact such a rule exists in certain universities (obviously this is university policy rather than legislation), if you speak any language other than English in the classroom you can be disciplined up to expulsion (this isn't well-known amongst laymen), but the sentiment is there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 02:29 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post
Hmmm. If there was a law enacted in BC requiring certain business to only use English in the workplace based on number of employees, I can imagine there would be an uproar of "damn right you should speak English here!". I know people like to think of themselves as tolerant but I taught English in BC to immigrants and I know plenty of them dealt with very strong pressure to conform to English-only. In fact such a rule exists in certain universities (obviously this is university policy rather than legislation), if you speak any language other than English in the classroom you can be disciplined up to expulsion (this isn't well-known amongst laymen), but the sentiment is there.
Yes, it would be interesting how people would react if they went to Home Depot in Richmond and were told that plans for their new shed could only be printed out in Chinese.

Or if businesses with Chinese only signs and service started spreading in large numbers toward North Vancouver and West Vancouver, or into the Fraser Valley.

Or if people started showing up at Surrey city council meetings and complaining that the goings-on were not in Punjabi.

Everyone would just remain zen and go along with this natural evolution, right?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:34 PM

35,309 posts, read 51,976,495 times
The Coast guard is closing one facility in Quebec city all other Coast Guard operations remain status quo
Coast Guard officials will be bilingual, says commissioner - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Also whats your definition of rescue ship as all these bases have some manner of boat/s or the point of being called a coast guard station would be rather pointless.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:31 PM

26,756 posts, read 37,644,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Coast guard is closing one facility in Quebec city all other Coast Guard operations remain status quo
Coast Guard officials will be bilingual, says commissioner - Nova Scotia - CBC News
Also whats your definition of rescue ship as all these bases have some manner of boat/s or the point of being called a coast guard station would be rather pointless.
Still doesn't answer the question of why it sometimes seems such a challenge for the Canadian government to offer services in French to its citizens living in Quebec.

(Note that here we aren't even talking about services in French in other parts of Canada, where they are also supposed to be offering bilingual services as well.)

Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Still doesn't answer the question of why it sometimes seems such a challenge for the Canadian government to offer services in French to its citizens living in Quebec.

(Note that here we aren't even talking about services in French in other parts of Canada, where they are also supposed to be offering bilingual services as well.)
The Canadian government not serving its Francophone citizens in French in Quebec is a dubious claim and a very rare occurrence at best, particularly when the vast majority of federal workers in Quebec are Francophone.
Canadian government services are supposed to be bilingual in the ROC even though its almost entirely English speaking if the francophone outside Quebec isnt getting served in French in a federal office they have every right to complain to the appropriate authorities .

Old 08-20-2013, 08:31 PM

4,454 posts, read 4,585,803 times
Quote:
Of course, there is also a tendency in Quebec public discourse to debate and discuss issues to death, that seems to have been inherited from France.
For sure I can see that. What I wonder about is that the more radical elements (Quebecois 'Jacobin' wing???) may perhaps suggest a more persuasive method to effect their changes and that's by importing the Dr. Guillotin method. For sure now we don't want people to be seen er ..'losing their heads' over these issues. Even Danton tried to reason with Robespierre......;-)....

Old 08-20-2013, 08:43 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,869,652 times
Quote:
And you base that American viewpoint on what data?
Because both Canada needs QC and QC needs Canada.

Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Because both Canada needs QC and QC needs Canada.
In your opinion why do you think Canada needs Quebec?

Hows the immigration coming along by the way?You appear to love the country and i'd guess you aint getting any younger eh

Old 08-21-2013, 02:20 AM

909 posts, read 1,142,067 times
Quote:
When a government starts putting in place all manner of laws that dictate what language you can speak, what language public signage must be in , what schools you can send your kids, basically installing a set of laws that artificially props up its own culture by eliminating all others we are dealing with a suspension of civil liberties and violations of human rights, this is what our op is proudly holding up as virtuous attributes to a modern society and something to be vigorously supported?
Quebec if you dont want to be a proud member of Canada? then do us all a favour and get the hell out and dont let the door hit you in the a,,
That's not true. The government isn't forcing you to speak French in your home or in the public. That would be a human rights issue. It's just the institutions that are legally authorized to provide services in French first which is fair because Quebec is a French speaking province. Having English schools and signage in English in other provinces isn't a human rights issue, so why would it apply to Quebec? I think the language laws provide a strong cultural feel for the province.

No, I wouldn't want Quebec to separate, and if they do, it would mean less culture, history and bilingualism in Canada. Remember though if Quebec separates, only a small fraction of land would separate from Canada because almost everything north of the Montreal-Quebec City corridor is owned by the first nations so they can't separate that land from Canada from the rest of Canada.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:03 AM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post

...... Remember though if Quebec separates, only a small fraction of land would separate from Canada because almost everything north of the Montreal-Quebec City corridor is owned by the first nations so they can't separate that land from Canada from the rest of Canada.
I didn't know that and I bet there's a whole lot of other people don't know that either. I find that very interesting. It sort of puts a whole new twist on things and I wonder if the people who push for separatism give any consideration to that. I wonder how all the First Nations folks who own the land feel about separatism or if it's something that doesn't even come up for consideration for them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada