U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 03:18 AM

733 posts, read 854,216 times

Advertisements

I do hope Quebec separates..... into several little pieces
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 04:09 AM

34,389 posts, read 41,499,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
That's not true. The government isn't forcing you to speak French in your home or in the public. That would be a human rights issue. It's just the institutions that are legally authorized to provide services in French first which is fair because Quebec is a French speaking province. Having English schools and signage in English in other provinces isn't a human rights issue, so why would it apply to Quebec? I think the language laws provide a strong cultural feel for the province.
You are prohibited by law from posting unilingual English signage on your private property or your place of business, bilingual signage is tolerated if the French font is above the English font and is twice as large, if your company has 50+ employees all business related matters including conversation are to be carried out in French.
If you didnt do your English schooling in Canada you wont have a choice of which linguistic school you send your kid to etc.. And always the ever present language police making sure the language laws are complied with.
Having English language signage in other provinces isnt mandated by law,you can put up signage in any language you please without fear of repercussions from an Anglo Equivalent to the language police.
You may want to read over Quebecs Charter of the French language , you want to live under that kind of linguistic restrictions if you dont happen to be French?
Charter of the French Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And the proposed beefing up of Bill101 with Bill14 =
CBC.ca Montreal - Interactive - Highlights from Bill 14
As for Quebec separating from Canada? i've got mixed feelings about the issue, much as i'd like to see Quebec remain in Canada,i just dont see it working as Quebec is already a different country culturally , linguistically and politically, at the moment a separatist government is in power and i'm certainly not seeing any pro Canada sentiment coming from the Francophone community,so whats really the point of Quebec continuing an existence within Canada?is it just about the money?
I think its time for Quebec to go it alone..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-21-2013 at 04:35 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The Canadian government not serving its Francophone citizens in French in Quebec is a dubious claim and a very rare occurrence at best, particularly when the vast majority of federal workers in Quebec are Francophone.
Canadian government services are supposed to be bilingual in the ROC even though its almost entirely English speaking if the francophone outside Quebec isnt getting served in French in a federal office they have every right to complain to the appropriate authorities .
Tell that to those four guys from Iles-de-la-Madeleine.

Apparently there are problems in the St Lawrence (both river and gulf) with the Coast Guard and there have been complaints. It's not hard to google for news articles on this.

And recently in the Ottawa news (not in Quebec of course but it is the capital and an officially bilingual zone) about Customs and Immigration not offering bilingual services at Ottawa airport. This is not the first time there have been complaints - and once again, it should be a total no-brainer that everyone who staffs these booths in Ottawa should be bilingual. Point final.

For the record, I went through there not long ago with my family and both the customs and immigration guys spoke to us in French as soon as they heard us talking between ourselves.

On the other hand, Ottawa airport security screening which is done by CATSA (federal also so it is supposed to be fully bilingual) appears to be almost completely English only. They even continue to answer my kids in English when they reply with a "pardon?" in French when they don't understand instructions in English.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 AM

You seem to have cherry picked a few isolated incidents to make a point that some Francophones on occasion dont get served in French, i'd say a 5 million demographic living in a 400Million ocean of Anglos its a wonder you get served in French at all.. next time you dont seem to be getting your way in French you could try this guys course of action.
7Up French case: Supreme Court to hear Air Canada lawsuit | National Post

I presume this is the boating tragedy you are referring to.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%27Acadien_II
Note the last finding in the investigation.
You'll also notice the event took place off of Cape Breton Island a good 1000kms away from the nearest shore that could be considered Quebec.

Last edited by jambo101; 08-21-2013 at 10:04 AM..

Old 08-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:

L'Acadien II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You'll also notice the event took place off of Cape Breton Island a good 1000kms away from the nearest shore that could be considered Quebec.
The investigation was done internally by the Coast Guard. Pretty good chance they aren't going to say four citizens died (even in part) because their organization did not respect its legal official language obligations and that the towing accident was maybe because the instructions were not properly understood by the victims.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
You seem to have cherry picked a few isolated incidents to make a point that some Francophones on occasion dont get served in French, i'd say a 5 million demographic living in a 400Million ocean of Anglos its a wonder you get served in French at all.. next time you dont seem to be getting your way in French you could try this guys course of action.
7Up French case: Supreme Court to hear Air Canada lawsuit | National Post

L'Acadien II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I still don't understand why any of these are much lesser indignities than, say, a boil water warning in French put together at the last minute on a printer by the city of Montreal:

Opinion: French-only emergency advisories are dangerous

Especially when one considers that the Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Air Transportation Safety Authority, the Canadian Coast Guard and Air Canada are all mandated by law to provide bilingual services across Canada, and the city of Montreal, is not.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The investigation was done internally by the Coast Guard. Pretty good chance they aren't going to say four citizens died (even in part) because their organization did not respect its legal official language obligations and that the towing accident was maybe because the instructions were not properly understood by the victims.
If you arent going to believe what the report says and consider conspiracies are afoot you ultimately arent going to believe anything but what you want to believe.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
If you arent going to believe what the report says and consider conspiracies are afoot you ultimately arent going to believe anything but what you want to believe.
No conspiracy theory necessarily, but self-investigation by the very institution that might be responsible for something as serious as deaths is not the most transparent way to go about things.

Governance 101

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 AM

35 posts, read 79,629 times
Let them go with this map (without Montreal)..
Maybe Greenland can join us

Last edited by yunemus; 10-22-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,495,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No conspiracy theory necessarily, but self-investigation by the very institution that might be responsible for something as serious as deaths is not the most transparent way to go about things.

Governance 101
I agree with you 100% Acajack, and Jimbo, you're just making yourself look petty and spiteful by pretending it's not wrong that agencies that are mandated by law for good reasons to be bilingual aren't living up to their own commitments. Give your head a shake, man, you undermine your valid arguments by assassinating your reputation when you act this way. And besides, it doesn't even come off as genuine, you just sound like you're having a tantrum because you're worn out by decades of fighting the good fight of language politics and now you're lashing out in a "whatever, I give up, you stay on your side of the house and I'll stay on mine and I hope you get cancer" kind of way. It's damaging to those of us who haven't given up on Canada and bilingualism, don't scuttle the ship just because you don't want to sail on it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada