Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:38 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times

Advertisements

I want to take a 2 year lease on a new GM car but am probably moving to canada in 1.5 years. The salesperson told me I can turn it in in canada at the end of the lease. Is this correct? Or is he just telling this to me to get a sale. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 PM

377 posts, read 1,695,337 times
Maybe you can "turn it in", but the big issue is can you get it registered once you move?

Let's assume GM even allows you to export from the US and import it into Canada, it will likely need thousands of dollars in modification to meet Canadian standards - and some cars are completely inadmissable with or without modification.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:23 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I want to take a 2 year lease on a new GM car but am probably moving to canada in 1.5 years. The salesperson told me I can turn it in in canada at the end of the lease. Is this correct? Or is he just telling this to me to get a sale. I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.

Read the lease closely and if still unclear, call the leasing company.

Relying on the word of the salesperson seems foolish.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:49 PM

207 posts, read 926,028 times
Getting a leased vehicle registered in Canada (Ontario) should not be a problem provided you are able to get written authorization from your lessor. The challenge I had was with my leasing company. They refused to give me permission, so I ended up financing/buying it from them with the help of another U.S. Bank that authorized me to register and operate the car here in Canada.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:58 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
My experience with wanting to buy (not rent) a car in the U.S. being Canadian is that they throw up ALOT of barriers to it because cars cost more in Canada even though our currencies are at par and they want to keep gouging. One thing you might want to look into is servicing centers. I'd heard talk garages at dealerships for some companies in Canada would no longer serve cars bought at U.S. dealerships. I'm not saying that'll be the case with your GM, but look into it.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,017 times
Can't answer your specific question but when I had my Canada leased Volkswagon and moved to the US I had to drive over the border and drop the car off a Canadian dealer. They would not accept it at a US dealer.

Depending where you are in Canada it may not be a big deal to drive to a US dealer to drop it off and fly back.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
The car you have now wont last another year and a half??
be much simpler to sell your present car on or about the time you move then buy a Canadian car,it will avoid a lot of hassle..

Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Maybe you can "turn it in", but the big issue is can you get it registered once you move?

Let's assume GM even allows you to export from the US and import it into Canada, it will likely need thousands of dollars in modification to meet Canadian standards - and some cars are completely inadmissable with or without modification.

The car was probably manufactured in Canada. I was thinking it might already meet many of the standards.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:39 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
The car was probably manufactured in Canada. I was thinking it might already meet many of the standards.
Even if it was manufactured in Canada, it was manufactured for the US. One small thing is running lights are required in Canada and many US cars don't have them. I happened to buy a car with them but will still have to pay around $500 to have it retrofit as mine can be turned off. One Nissan Maxima I looked at was inadmissable to Canada due to the way the seat belts we constructed.

Another issue is that if you default on your payment the leasing company cannot (or will not) come and get the car in Canada so they will most likely nix the idea of you bringing it here.

Most car salesmen know nothing about importing cars across the border so don't listen to them; call a customs broker, look for the CAD gov't website for admissable cars, check retrofitting prices with dealers in Canada, get something in writing from the leasing company etc. if you don't, you will regret it.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:39 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,859,468 times
Why are you leasing? Buy a good solid car that meets Canadian standards before you move to Canada. Cars are much cheaper in the U.S. and if you are moving to Canada you will be allowed to import your car duty-free and tax-free as part of the Settlers' Effects exemption. Check the RIV website to see which cars are compliant with Canadian regulations without modification. Leasing is always a bad idea - you end up paying more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada