U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,260,811 times

Advertisements

[quote=jambo101;30761136]I like the borders just fine as they are, however its an interesting concept, after the dust settles i wonder just how many Canadians would move to the USA and how many Americans would Move to Canada.
/QUOTE]

I would like the labour market to be opened up, just like the Euro zone.
The customs too so that we can enjoy cheap online shopping delivery from the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 11:48 AM

18,269 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I could be wrong but I think that refers to medical care and coverage that a Canadian visitor might need while they're out of Canada, not the medical care they're eligible for in Canada.

As it stands now if you are away for 6 months or less your Canadian insurance covers medical care gotten while away in other countries, but if you extend your stay beyond 6 months you aren't covered, you have to pay your medical care beyond that time limit out of your own pocket or through extra travellers medical insurance that you purchased before leaving the country. For example, if I was going to go on a world tour and I knew I was going to be away from Canada for 18 months I would need to purchase additional travellers health insurance to cover the extra 12 months, or pay out of pocket for any health care needed after 6 months away.

It wouldn't be the doctors that checked your passport or enquired about how long you were away, it would be the insurance provider that checks it to confirm your eligibility for coverage. It wouldn't be hard for the insurance provider to find out when you left Canada and when you returned.
BINGO!

There is no; de-facto, exchange of information from the border crossing agency to the various Provincial governments to date for the express purpose of tracking Health Insurance.

The crux of the issue comes if some event would occur requiring medical care while you are out of the country, or two of these events with more than the allowed out time between them ocurr without your having returned to Canada.

You then are on the hook for the entire medical bill as both your Provincial coverage and your optional top-up travel hospitalization insurance for the latter event will be denied.

With the allowed out days from most of the Provinces being adequate there should be no gambling with your own financial welfare in this regard.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
I wish we opened borders between US and Canada, then I would move to Quebec.
If that happened, Canada would be swamped and we wouldn't be Canada anymore.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I could be wrong but I think that refers to medical care and coverage that a Canadian visitor might need while they're out of Canada, not the medical care they're eligible for in Canada.

As it stands now if you are away for 6 months or less your Canadian insurance covers medical care gotten while away in other countries, but if you extend your stay beyond 6 months you aren't covered, you have to pay your medical care beyond that time limit out of your own pocket or through extra travellers medical insurance that you purchased before leaving the country. For example, if I was going to go on a world tour and I knew I was going to be away from Canada for 18 months I would need to purchase additional travellers health insurance to cover the extra 12 months, or pay out of pocket for any health care needed after 6 months away.

It wouldn't be the doctors that checked your passport or enquired about how long you were away, it would be the insurance provider that checks it to confirm your eligibility for coverage. It wouldn't be hard for the insurance provider to find out when you left Canada and when you returned.

B.C. has changed it to 7 months now.

http://www.health.gov.bc.ca/msp/info...th_absence.pdf

Extra coverage is especially needed when travelling to the U.S. This from the MSA website.

"You should be aware that your provincial coverage may not pay for all the health care costs you may incur outside the province, and the difference can be substantial. For example, B.C. pays $75 (Cdn) a day for emergency in-patient hospital care, while the average cost in the U.S. often exceeds $1000 (US) a day, and can be as high as $10,000 (US) a day in intensive care. For this reason, you are strongly advised to purchase additional health insurance from a private insurer before you leave the province, whether you are going to another part of Canada or outside the country - even if you plan to be away for only a day. See Medical Care Outside B.C. for more information."

Haven't checked other areas of Canada, but in B.C. one way MSA may know the length of your time outside Canada is by the extra private insurance you should of purchased ( at least for the U.S. ). Again from their site.

"Some private insurance companies have a signed agreement with the Ministry of Health. This permits them to pay physician and hospital claims up front and then receive reimbursement from the Ministry of Health, eliminating the need for beneficiaries to handle their own claims. In all other cases, physician and hospital claims must be submitted to Health Insurance BC before they are sent to a private insurance company or extended health benefits plan. After Health Insurance BC has processed the claims, beneficiaries can apply to the private insurer or extended plan for additional payment."

I also agree with you that the information from you passport would be handed over to the insurer.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Don't fret; it will not happen in anyone's lifetime currently posting on these boards.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Don't fret; it will not happen in anyone's lifetime currently posting on these boards.
LOL. I'm not worried. I have heard, many times over the years, Americans benignly stating that we should just become one big country, as if we Canadians would take that as a compliment.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
It works best for SOME American's.....however, tourists are a NET LOSS to government revenues in almost all cases. So the taxpayers of Florida and Arizona pay to provide government services to Canadian snowbirds. If we had a snowbird tax on non-residents of say $1,000 month that would help make up the difference.

There are lots of Europeans, Asians and others that would love to visit the US. What's wrong with a little diversity in our visitors.

I saw a Canadian statistic that 15% of Canada leaves for the winter. That is a lot of people for American taxpayers to support!! We will skip our guests from Mexico for now.
Sorry; but your surmisal does not bear close scrutiny.

Canada and Florida: An Economic Impact Study - U.S.A

This is just one state.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Sorry; but your surmisal does not bear close scrutiny.

Canada and Florida: An Economic Impact Study - U.S.A

This is just one state.
In case they are too lazy to click through the link...here's the stats.

Visitor Spending

Canadian visitor spending in Florida2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

Total Spending ($US millions) 1403 1597 1924 2372 2812 3100 2700
Avg. spending per person-visit ($US)840 836 944 1131 1133 1080 1000
Source: Statistics Canada

Canadian visitors spent $2.7 billion while in the state in 2009. Although representing a decline from a peak of $3.1 billion in 2008, this figure is nearly twice the amount spent in 2003. Total Canadian spending in the state registered a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 11% from 2003 to 2009. Furthermore, 2010 spending is forecast to have leapt up to historical record levels of $3.5bn, or a 29% jump over 2009.

Economic Benefits to Florida

Forecast Economic Impact of Canadian Tourism in Florida 2010
Direct Employment 43,000
Total Employment 62,780
Direct Taxes $195 million
Total Tax Impact $700 million
Florida is expected to have received over 90 million tourists in 2010, of which an estimated 77 million came from other US states and approximately 14-15 million visited from another country, including an estimated 3.1 million from Canada. The economic impact of Canadian tourists, with their mix of snowbirds, family and friend visitors and short term high spenders is slightly higher than US tourists (who stay less time) but lower than off-shore visitors (who shop conspicuously) Conservative estimates by the Florida Tax Watch study of the impact of Tourism, first published in 2006, estimate that total tourism in 2010 generated $103bn of the state’s economic GDP. The contribution born from Canadian tourists (home buying aside) in 2010 is estimated to be $4.45bn.

In 2010, the same TaxWatch study estimates total direct employment from the state’s number one industry to reach 1,000,000. Canadian tourism spend, by correlation, is therefore expected to directly employ over 43,000 Floridians. The spending and investment habits of those directly employed as a knock-on effect of creating indirect employment for other industries. Applying a multiplier of 1.46x, as recommended in the TaxWatch study, total direct and indirect employment created from Canadian tourism spending in 2010 is approximately 62,780 jobs in Florida.

In addition, Canadian visitors can be assumed to have contributed 4.3% of tourism-related tax revenues, proportional to their percentage of tourism revenues. Based upon comparable tax contribution analysis in 2007 by the TaxWatch report and the growth in Canadian tourist spending anticipated in 2010, total tax contribution by Canadian tourism grew more than 16% from 2007 to 2010.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:15 PM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
We may have a defense to that possibility, its called winter. And from what our southern neighbors say we get 8 months of it, thats why they all move to Florida..

C'mon up We'll leave the light on for ya.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We may have a defense to that possibility, its called winter. And from what our southern neighbors say we get 8 months of it, thats why they all move to Florida..

C'mon up We'll leave the light on for ya.
And a pile of firewood by the back door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or