Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 AM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
If you were born in 1912 like Irving Layton, or 1931 like Mordechai Richler, then you would have experienced anti-semitism in any city of the western world. Speaking of which, A significant percentage of the world's Jewish population born in either of those years was exterminated by government decree.

So no, Quebec does not, nor did it ever stand out in regards to antisemitism.
The question was about Quebec. You are absolutely right that anti-semitism was everywhere but there can be regional differences that do make an area 'stand out.' In PQ, at that time, the RCC had a very big influence. In Manitoba there were other 'explanations' for anti-semitism.

None of the so-called reasons make it right but I was responding to the original question, and some of the subsequent replies saying there is NO anti-semitism in Quebec. I don't think there's a place anywhere that is free of racism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
The question was about Quebec. You are absolutely right that anti-semitism was everywhere but there can be regional differences that do make an area 'stand out.' In PQ, at that time, the RCC had a very big influence. In Manitoba there were other 'explanations' for anti-semitism.

None of the so-called reasons make it right but I was responding to the original question, and some of the subsequent replies saying there is NO anti-semitism in Quebec. I don't think there's a place anywhere that is free of racism.
I think it would be accurate to say that Quebec, like most western societies, has a history of anti-semitism. The gravity of the phenomenon in the first half of the 20th century is perhaps greater than in some other places, and obviously less so than in others that obviously come to mind.

One thing that should not be forgotten is that "Quebec" is often a code word for the ethnic group "French Canadians", and that anti-semitism in Quebec was not the sole domain of French Canadians. While it is true that most of the first Jews in Quebec (Ashkenazis from central and eastern Europe) arrived with no natural bias towards English OR French and integrated in the anglo community of Quebec, this is not because there was no anti-semitism in that community.

They got crapped on from both sides, but they also took note of the socio-economic dynamics of the day, and like any immigrant group they decided that if they were going to get crapped on, it was at least going to pay off in the long run. So they sided with the jerks who had the money (anglos) and learned their English language instead of the jerks who were poor (francos).

But one should not make the mistake of thinking that long-established Jews in Montreal are mostly anglo today because there was no anti-semitism on the part of anglos.

McGill University had quotas on Jewish students until the 1960s, and the Université de Montréal did not.

Much is also made of anti-semitism in resorts in the Laurentians north of Montreal with NO JEWS ALLOWED signs and all but most of the resorts in this area at the time were owned by well-heeled Montreal WASP anglos, not French Canadians.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:25 AM
pdw

2,610 posts, read 3,031,952 times
Let's stop pointing fingers. Can't we all agree that anti-semitism is wrong? We must never, ever repeat the mistakes of the past.

Last edited by pdw; 07-31-2013 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,843,548 times
Arabs are semites too. What does that make the U.S.A. and Israel?

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM
pdw

HERE WE GO...

Old 07-31-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think it would be accurate to say that Quebec, like most western societies, has a history of anti-semitism. The gravity of the phenomenon in the first half of the 20th century is perhaps greater than in some other places, and obviously less so than in others that obviously come to mind.

One thing that should not be forgotten is that "Quebec" is often a code word for the ethnic group "French Canadians", and that anti-semitism in Quebec was not the sole domain of French Canadians. While it is true that most of the first Jews in Quebec (Ashkenazis from central and eastern Europe) arrived with no natural bias towards English OR French and integrated in the anglo community of Quebec, this is not because there was no anti-semitism in that community.

They got crapped on from both sides, but they also took note of the socio-economic dynamics of the day, and like any immigrant group they decided that if they were going to get crapped on, it was at least going to pay off in the long run. So they sided with the jerks who had the money (anglos) and learned their English language instead of the jerks who were poor (francos).

But one should not make the mistake of thinking that long-established Jews in Montreal are mostly anglo today because there was no anti-semitism on the part of anglos.

McGill University had quotas on Jewish students until the 1960s, and the Université de Montréal did not.

Much is also made of anti-semitism in resorts in the Laurentians north of Montreal with NO JEWS ALLOWED signs and all but most of the resorts in this area at the time were owned by well-heeled Montreal WASP anglos, not French Canadians.
Anglos, in the sense of having UK origins, crapped on everyone else and had quotas for everyone else. What might have made things a bit different in Quebec back then, was the concentration of one ethnicity - in this case, French-Canadians. I found this link very interesting. Quebec Anti-Semitism and Anti-Semitism in Quebec* | Jerusalem Center For Public Affairs

I come from a traditionally insular community so I know for a fact that the group dynamics can be different, or express themselves in different ways than in communities with many minority groups.

Last edited by netwit; 07-31-2013 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-31-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Let's stop pointing fingers. Can't we all agree that anti-semitism is wrong? We must never, ever repeat the mistakes of the past.
Talking about our history is considerably different than "pointing fingers."

Old 07-31-2013, 11:30 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
Hassidic jewish are usually harassed by some municipale elected member because they drove a mini bus inside the street of Outremont during porim holiday, it's an "acharnement" for no reason for peaceful holidays compare to the ones in saint Leonard where people fight and throw each others paint , the parking of College McDonald at Jean Talon/Viau use to be full of paint spot , and no one said anything.
add to that city refusal of synagogue extention ,and orders to close some because of zoning.
i think there is some antisemitisme but for sure it doesn't come from general population but from some crazy heads in the city (i guess)
source:
Outremont's Hasidic Jews brace for Purim conflict - Montreal - CBC News

Worlds collide for Outremont’s Hassidic population | Toronto Star

Court rules Montreal Hasidic synagogue can stay despite campaign to shut it down | National Post

Tensions in Outremont as councillor and Hasidic community face-off | CTV Montreal News
They want parking exemptions on their high holidays. That doesn't play well in a secular society. If it's no parking on Fridays from 15h30 to 17h00 because of street cleaning, it's no parking for anyone, regardless of which set of superstitions you buy into.
"I don't have to pay any attention to the rules. I'm Jewish. I'm Muslim. I'm Hindi."

Old 07-31-2013, 12:34 PM
pdw

Why not just try and accommodate others, regardless of whether you agree with their religion or not? I'm a Christian and I have no problem with Jews getting accommodated. Why did a thread on anti-semitism turn into a criticism of parking rules in NDG? How disrespectful is that?

Old 07-31-2013, 01:33 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,260,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Why not just try and accommodate others, regardless of whether you agree with their religion or not? I'm a Christian and I have no problem with Jews getting accommodated. Why did a thread on anti-semitism turn into a criticism of parking rules in NDG? How disrespectful is that?
Accommodate others? I've been lucky enough to experience rabidly Muslim patients who insist on private rooms, even though they have no insurance to pay for it, husbands who insist she not be treated by the male doctor on call and we should somehow scrounge up a female doctor from another hospital, refusing that his wife be seen by male orderlies and demanding entire shift, personnel and schedule changes.
I was baptised Russian Orthodox. Our religious calendar is completely different. I've never insisted on special treatment or parking privileges because my Christmas is in January. I live in a secular society, and my responsibility lies in integrating myself into the secular society, not the other way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada