U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:31 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,018,265 times

Advertisements

What happened to

Quote:

Who cares, if you don't live there?
That was your quote on a Vancouver thread. If you want to remove parking restrictions for Jews in Southern Ontario, knock yourself out. You don't live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
What I said on the Vancouver thread, I was trying to say "Who cares how long it takes for things to improve on the residents' own terms, if you don't live there." The poster I was replying to was advocating gentrification because he thinks improving the neighbourhood by other means would take too long. I think that's ridiculous because gentrification displaces the poor residents, therefore "improving" the neighbourhood by gentrification doesn't help them. And since you don't live there, it doesn't help you either.

It's not parking restrictions for Jews, it's parking restrictions for an area around a synagogue during a Jewish holiday. Why are you taking Bernard Drainville's side? You may not have any respect for people's religion, but I, and most people, do.

Last edited by pdw; 07-31-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:

It's not parking restrictions for Jews, it's parking restrictions for an area
around a synagogue during a Jewish holiday. You may not have any respect for
people's religion, but I, and most people, do.
If people want to celebrate their religions, I have no problem with that. However, do it at home or in your house of worship. Don't inconvenience the secular public. When I used to go to church, nobody demanded special parking privileges around the Russian Orthodox Cathedrals during our special holidays. We somehow survived the hardship.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:55 PM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,964,893 times
Why does it have to be the atheist way, or no way at all? You want to punish people because they don't have the same beliefs as you. That's what this is really about.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Why does it have to be the atheist way, or no way at all? You want to punish people because they don't have the same beliefs as you. That's what this is really about.
Baloney. When you're asking a city to remove parking restrictions, delay street cleaning or be allowed to string fishing line around a community, it goes beyond just worship. When you demand we paint over windows, it goes beyond just worship.
When you ask daycares or hospitals to serve halal food it goes beyond just worship. When you demand we bring in a female doctor from another hospital, it goes beyond just worship.
I don't care if you pray until your knees bleed, but you have no right to bring this into a secular society. What part of SECULAR are you having trouble with?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:10 PM

9,535 posts, read 9,417,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Baloney. When you're asking a city to remove parking restrictions, delay street cleaning or be allowed to string fishing line around a community, it goes beyond just worship.

Oh, good grief! What's wrong with an eruv? I doubt most non-Jews pay any attention to them! Even Memphis has one.

Eruv Map

Personally, I'd rather look at an eruv than a "Gay Pride" parade.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Oh, good grief! What's wrong with an eruv? I doubt most non-Jews pay any attention to them! Even Memphis has one.

Eruv Map

Personally, I'd rather look at an eruv than a "Gay Pride" parade.
There have been quite a few complaints from non-Jews who happen to live in them.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:27 PM

733 posts, read 854,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Baloney. When you're asking a city to remove parking restrictions, delay street cleaning or be allowed to string fishing line around a community, it goes beyond just worship. When you demand we paint over windows, it goes beyond just worship.
When you ask daycares or hospitals to serve halal food it goes beyond just worship. When you demand we bring in a female doctor from another hospital, it goes beyond just worship.
I don't care if you pray until your knees bleed, but you have no right to bring this into a secular society. What part of SECULAR are you having trouble with?
So those Santa Claus parades shutting down thorougfare traffic for hours are OK because theres an economic/consumerism sides to them.... or am I missing something?

Old 07-31-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
So those Santa Claus parades shutting down thorougfare traffic for hours are OK because theres an economic/consumerism sides to them.... or am I missing something?
A Santa Claus parade is about as religious as the Carifete parade.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
You're doing the exact same thing. You want to give special privileges to people who have the same beliefs as you...beliefs in Bronze Age deities. That's what this is really about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or