U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:17 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah....a status Indian can be some one whos blood is predominantly white, I personally know people with first nation "status" with blonde hair and blue eyes. And what would me being an immigrant have anything to do with it? Are you going to tell me every single Canadian born here is perfectly informed about the "aboriginal status definitions" and other NatiVe issues? LOL OK. I'm curious though, What makes you think I'm an immigrant anyways?
Last question first: you must have said something along those lines in a different post. How else?

You seem to be assuming that 'immigrant' is a synonym for something rude as opposed to something that might explain why someone doesn't know one thing or the other. So whether you are an immigrant or not has nothing to do with aboriginal status definitions other than an immigrant "might" not know that. Since you do, then there should be no mystery to you why a status Indian can have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,448,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Last question first: you must have said something along those lines in a different post. How else?

You seem to be assuming that 'immigrant' is a synonym for something rude as opposed to something that might explain why someone doesn't know one thing or the other. So whether you are an immigrant or not has nothing to do with aboriginal status definitions other than an immigrant "might" not know that. Since you do, then there should be no mystery to you why a status Indian can have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Wether i'm an immigrant or not is none of your business, I'm Canadian thats all that matters. and Immigrant status should not imply if some one knows or doesn't know something. You said that me not me, your the one being rude. And your right its not a mystery that some one with blonde hair can have Native "status" thats actually what I said in my first post.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:02 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,544,693 times
Quote:
Wether i'm an immigrant or not is none of your business, I'm Canadian thats all that matters. and Immigrant status should not imply if some one knows or doesn't know something. You said that me not me, your the one being rude. And your right its not a mystery that some one with blonde hair can have Native "status" thats actually what I said in my first post.
I'll attribute this response to English not being your first language.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:17 PM

7,593 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Not sure about mixed people. But all of my Canadian friends identify ethnically/culturally more than anything. Jamaican, Bajan, Trini, Guyanese...whether of African descent or not. Guess many other Canadians, like many Americans, may not understand or simply want to lump people by color.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I'll attribute this response to English not being your first language.
Now your an English professor?

A life, get one.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Not sure about mixed people. But all of my Canadian friends identify ethnically/culturally more than anything. Jamaican, Bajan, Trini, Guyanese...whether of African descent or not. Guess many other Canadians, like many Americans, may not understand or simply want to lump people by color.
True, but its interesting that in Canada many people that are second generation would still identify as Jamaican or Trini.

Is it the same way in the States?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:45 PM

7,593 posts, read 2,443,375 times
Quote:
True, but its interesting that in Canada many people that are second generation would still identify as Jamaican or Trini.

Is it the same way in the States?
Why is it weird? They are just referring to their immediate background/ethnicity, rather than so-called race. Yes, plenty people do it in the States. It's not as though they are saying they are born there. They are proudly Canadian.

Look at the American census, they have backgrounds for Asians and Hispanics. They are just ignorant when it comes to people of African heritage or people who come from certain regions. There are Korean-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Dominican-Americans, Mexican-Americans...so why wouldn't there be Jamaican-Americans or Trini-Americans?

Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,501,949 times
I am not sure that many on this thread had science and biology in school. RACE is not geographic. It has NOTHING to do with place. RACE is strictly a scientific classification of the humans that exist on this planet. Why do we have that? For the same reason that we classify all animals, plants, germs or what have you. (even rocks)

Ethnic identity includes both race and geography due to the migration of humans over the Earth for eons.

CAUCASOID- white, light skin people
NEGROID- dark, brown, and almost black people
MONGOLOID- yellow and golden people

These are scientific terms , not sociological.

MONOGOLOID represents the largest and most diverse group due to migration. Racially, it was a blended group in more ways. For instance, the people of Asia crossed the Bering Strait and populated the western hemisphere. This is why the early American 'Indians' looked so Asian in skin color and slanted eyes. Much later in time the Europeans came to the Americas and this introduced the predominant Spanish Caucasian into the picture. This is where we have the term Hispanic.

HISPANICS are not of a race. They can be considered either CAUCASOID or MONGOLOID. Being from America, the culture and ethnicity issue comes and hence they are rarely considered to be of Asian background.

You guys are on devices that can answer most questions. Although you have to choose carefully because places like WIKIPEDIA are not true knowledge based.
At any rate, if you would like to really know the facts look them up. Don't argue on line over things you can learn in a moment.

As I said the OP was asking about RACE and almost everyone soon was off on sociology. There are a lot of issues in our world today, but one thing is for sure. A scientist can take a sample of your blood and tell you exactly what race or races you are. This is not a pick and choose subject. It just shows how uncomfortable people are with the subject and even with being who and what they are. Being ignorant and uneducated is the enemy. Not some guy across the street.

You will find a lot more than I have pointed out here. I just wanted to lay down the basics hoping it might make someone realize that the country you or your ancesters come from does not identify what you are, just possibly who you are.

Best wishes,

raj kapoor

Last edited by raj kapoor; 08-01-2013 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-02-2013, 12:24 AM

6,566 posts, read 9,082,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
White = European descent, North African and Middle Eastern.
Asian = Southeast and South Asian countries.
Black = Black Africans/Caribbean descent.
Hispanic = Central and South American countries (Spanish speaking mainly)

^ Applies to both Canada and the USA.
I understand that. It's that in the U.S we are used to people being black whether they look like Michael Jordan or rapper Ice T. Ice T wouldn't be black in Brazil. He'd be something else. Would Ice T be considered black by Canadian standards of race?

Old 08-02-2013, 08:06 AM

10,586 posts, read 10,781,413 times
If a person has fallen into a subculture or a fabricated black culture and ACTS black..Then Canadians view them as black. If the person joins the mainstream and behaves and lives with real self esteem and dignity- carries themselves well- makes an attempt to be well spoken...Then they are not seen as black. It's a social and economic thing in Canada...it's about class..Those who behave and act in a poor manner - no matter what race will be pushed to the bottom of the pile. It's up to the person -

For instance in my gentrified hood there are many young middle class families pushing strollers down the street - all of them white...Recently I do see black woman - mixed couples and black couples who have joined the mainstream- They dress well - they don't want to live in a ghetto and they want to be part of so called white society...and what I mean by white has nothing to do with color. I am glad to see "black" people being white....some "blacks" hung up on race might find what I say offensive and perhaps even racist...but it is not. People will always except other good people no matter what...If you want to lurk around like some inferior with a bad attitude - that is your problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or