Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:10 AM

484 posts, read 1,285,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Those who act black are considered black in Canada. Then there are those who are black who are insecure and frightened in white society because of conditioning...that they believe themselves to be inferior simply because they are in poverty. Canada is especially Toronto is about money...they teach youth that money equals class which is not true. Canada is not about tolerance or equality - it is about common sense. It seems that we got more out of Martin Luther King's message than our American brothers did...It is about the character and spirit of the person not the skin tone. We do not have blacks in Canada- we just have a social divide rooted in poverty and lack of education.

I see kids who have grown up in the projects - black and white kids who ACT black..we have a neglected class of citizens...who are given enough money to barely survive - and who adjust to inter- generational poverty. It's a stupid system.

As I said...to most young Canadians if a person carries themselves with dignity - has taken the time to become well spoken - they are not black...They are part of the mainstream in Canada and our mainstream is not color conscious.
You are the most ignorant ( for a lack of a better term) person I've ever met in my life. And trust me, even though my time on this earth is short, I've met a whole bunch of ignorant people. But you sir take the cake.

Congratulation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:12 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,284,740 times
I understand the point certain people are making about "self identification" as you do not have the push as in the US to identify yourself on official documents. The reason why the US does this is tied directly to Affirmative Action policies, so as long as that is the law of the land there is no other possible way to track race statistics.

The people who are slyly trying to make this into a comparison between the US and Canada and how people in general perceive you then there is no difference at all between the two countries. If you look black and are from what people interpret to be a "Black country" then they will call you black, doesn't matter how much you try to spin this. Canada is no more advanced on race relations than the US, anyone who thinks otherwise is in denial or stupid.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 08-01-2013 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 07:23 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Those who act black are considered black in Canada. Then there are those who are black who are insecure and frightened in white society because of conditioning...that they believe themselves to be inferior simply because they are in poverty. Canada is especially Toronto is about money...they teach youth that money equals class which is not true. Canada is not about tolerance or equality - it is about common sense. It seems that we got more out of Martin Luther King's message than our American brothers did...It is about the character and spirit of the person not the skin tone. We do not have blacks in Canada- we just have a social divide rooted in poverty and lack of education.

I see kids who have grown up in the projects - black and white kids who ACT black..we have a neglected class of citizens...who are given enough money to barely survive - and who adjust to inter- generational poverty. It's a stupid system.

As I said...to most young Canadians if a person carries themselves with dignity - has taken the time to become well spoken - they are not black...They are part of the mainstream in Canada and our mainstream is not color conscious.
This post is just so weird...

Old 08-01-2013, 07:28 AM

26,871 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
I understand the point certain people are making about "self identification" as you do not have the push as in the US to identify yourself on official documents. The reason why the US does this is tied directly to Affirmative Action policies, .
In a sense, though the programs are different, this is similar to why some people are still identified as "status Indians" in Canada. Because if they are then they qualify for some different government programs than the rest of us, among other things.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yes that is the case here in Canada too. Even if your grandmother was black, you will still be considered black. People can tell you all they want about "Self-identification" but even if your barely black people will consider you black. With Natives, you can be white as snow and get away with calling yourself Native.
And you know this to be fact exactly how, may I ask? You are constantly being walked up to and told you're black because your grandma was?

Is that how it works or, are perceived personal slights against your person being interpreted by you as happening to you because others think you're black?

It needs to be asked.

Your reference to Natives isn't logical given the aboriginal status definitions as laid down to avail them of treaty obligations by Canadian gov't.

NO SUCH defintitions are existant for races.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:01 PM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
And you know this to be fact exactly how, may I ask? You are constantly being walked up to and told you're black because your grandma was?

Is that how it works or, are perceived personal slights against your person being interpreted by you as happening to you because others think you're black?

It needs to be asked.

Your reference to Natives isn't logical given the aboriginal status definitions as laid down to avail them of treaty obligations by Canadian gov't.

NO SUCH defintitions are existant for races.
I think urbanluis is an immigrant and therefore probably doesn't know about the aboriginal status definitions.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,436 times
White = European descent, North African and Middle Eastern.
Asian = Southeast and South Asian countries.
Black = Black Africans/Caribbean descent.
Hispanic = Central and South American countries (Spanish speaking mainly)

^ Applies to both Canada and the USA.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:24 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think urbanluis is an immigrant and therefore probably doesn't know about the aboriginal status definitions.
Then it would be my belief perhaps he should not have referred to them as a comparator at all.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:21 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Yeah....a status Indian can be some one whos blood is predominantly white, I personally know people with first nation "status" with blonde hair and blue eyes. And what would me being an immigrant have anything to do with it? Are you going to tell me every single Canadian born here is perfectly informed about the "aboriginal status definitions" and other NatiVe issues? LOL OK. I'm curious though, What makes you think I'm an immigrant anyways?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada