U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 06:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times

Advertisements

Canada’s Big Three cellphone companies are running scared, and it’s pathetic to watch:

Canada

One result is that Canadians have historically paid more for wireless services and gained access to new services and technologies later than consumers in other countries. Prices have come down since Ottawa’s last attempt to inject competition into the sector (it set aside airwaves for new entrants in 2008). But an independent report done for the federal government this month showed that, for most users, rates still “fall on the high side of the [developed world] average.”

What makes Canada a wireless outlier is that it still restricts foreign ownership. Almost every other developed country has dropped such restrictions. In the U. S., Verizon Wireless, which is looking to move north by acquiring Wind and Mobilicity, is 45-per-cent owned by Britain’s Vodafone. T-Mobile is controlled by Germany’s Deutsche Telekom. And Sprint was just bought by Japan’s SoftBank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 AM

489 posts, read 1,051,319 times
It doesn't matter. If Verizon comes to Canada, they will still give you crappy service and charge the same as the big 3.

Old 08-01-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
It doesn't matter. If Verizon comes to Canada, they will still give you crappy service and charge the same as the big 3.
Why do you think that is? Is there something with Canada that makes it undeserving good services and prices?? I wonder.

Although I still do not mind more competition. Whatever scares and harms monopolies such as Rogers and Air Canada pleases me.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:26 AM
pdw

1,473 posts, read 1,962,964 times
No I'm 100% against it. I'm sick and tired of American companies coming to Canada. Canada shouldn't be for sale.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM

18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
No I'm 100% against it. I'm sick and tired of American companies coming to Canada. Canada shouldn't be for sale.

Uuuh; you do realize how the free market economy and free trade deals are supposed to work don't you?

Resistance from the U.S. on our goods being given free entry to arguably the single biggest market we trade with to date, are often traced back to these silly restrictions giving protection to domestic providers and stifling of competition from foreign companies.

You want your cake and eat it too perhaps?

We represent a fairly small market opportunity for any provider with only a footprint of akin to the population of the state of California. Encouraging a company like Verizon to enter and denying the ability for the big three domestic's from lobbying our federal government to force Verizon's compliance on pricing their services higher than economically required to maintain profitability, solely to allow those three to continue gouging us would be my ambition from the get go.

The big three are saying in essence: Verizon hasn't put any investment into the infrastructure in Canada so therefore should not be able to capitalize on it's usage to provide cheaper service.

Here's my take on that; the original infrastructure was provided by TAXPAYER'S funding it. Since that time the single biggest provider in Canada has not spent anywhere near what they could have, while still maintaining profitability, to upgrade to fibre-optic or hanging the latest RG-6 cable from poles and underground services. They have done so very sporadically to service major urban areas while ignoring the rural due to maintenance of those exorbitant profit margins alone.

When the mailers come to my door I will ask one single question: will you provide me better service and upgrade that 30 year old wiring out there hanging from those poles at LESS COST than I'm currently paying?

The big three have had it too good on taxpayer's dime in a PROTECTIONIST market.

The latest issue is with a service provider named "Ting" that basically purchases cel-phone time at wholesale prices from all providers then re-sells those minutes to you on a pay-as-you-go basis at an average savings to private consumers of 70% on their typical monthly bill. They have located their call center in Toronto to service their U.S. customers but to date, are NOT allowed to purchase minutes from those Canadian big three to provide you this type of service within Canada.

The government is not prohibiting this service from coming to you. The big three have merely banded together as a "combine" and agreed to not sell minutes to wholesale providers in the single biggest and egregious price fixing debacle seen since bootlegging.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post

Although I still do not mind more competition. Whatever scares and harms monopolies such as Rogers and Air Canada pleases me.
Rogers and Air Canada may be big companies but they do still have some competition.
As for verizon?Customers will generally tend to go with whoever is cheaper while giving them the services they want.
Much as i'd like to see a totally Canadian product in this field its a bygone era to expect that type of business to isolate itself in todays global markets.
These days its what i call the Walmart syndrome where companies strive to own the world in their field of sales..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-01-2013 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 AM

489 posts, read 1,051,319 times
Quote:
Why do you think that is? Is there something with Canada that makes it undeserving good services and prices?? I wonder.

History. Take a look at retail. Canadians always jump of joy when American's retailers move to Canada, thinking that they will get the same products at the same prices as their American counterparts but we never do.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:20 AM

18,264 posts, read 10,366,114 times
Quote:

We are in agreement on this one.

Why in heaven's name should we have to put up with the likes of Air Canada with it's terribly rude and arrogant service model, who charge more for a flight than it's friendlier and more compliant counterparts.

We have shown a marked tendancy to be victims of "country pricing" based on our compliant nature alone.

Studies have more than adequately shown that the prices for things we have taken for granted as Canadians are pegged where they're at because we have shown a lockstep, lemming-like, willingness to continue paying them.

I have tested this on any number of items up to and including big ticket items such as RV's and found I could buy the same model south of the border, pay 30% off the sticker price down there by merely walking through the showroom door, import that vehicle through our Canadian customs, even paying for the services of a broker to smooth the way, pay all applicable taxes and import duties on that item as any Canadian dealer would, and still save thousands of dollars.

We will only continue to get what we're conditioned to getting if we continue doing two things: stifling competition and acquiescing to pricing without rationale.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The HBC just acquired Saks Fifth Ave. TD becomes the second largest retail bank in New York.
This goes both ways and this is how free market works.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:11 PM

12,672 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Quote:
The HBC just acquired Saks Fifth Ave. TD becomes the second largest retail bank in New York.
This goes both ways and this is how free market works.
One issue with this statement. The Hudson's Bay is now owned by an American.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stor...onbaynrdc.html

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-01-2013 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or