U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 AM
BMI

7,262 posts, read 4,489,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Victoria has not grown much because of its isolation. Few people want to live on a remote island, a long ferry ride from anywhere except a little road up and down the island. And, for the same reason, nobody wants to invest in job creation in a place so few people are willing to isolate themselves.

So, in a way, Victoria is the best affordable place in the world to live, as long as your lifestyle doesn't require easy travel to other places, and you are just happy to sit at home forever.
Not sure about "affordable".

Housing prices in Victoria/Oak Bay have skyrocketed in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Not sure about "affordable".

Housing prices in Victoria/Oak Bay have skyrocketed in recent years.
How does the cost of a comparable house compare with Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal/TMR?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:45 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
How does the cost of a comparable house compare with Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto or Montreal/TMR?
median price for a single-family house in Greater Victoria was $525K (may, 2013).
I would say it is much lower than Toronto and Vancouver. but more expensive than Calgary ($450K) and Montreal ($385K)

Old 08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

1,473 posts, read 1,962,250 times
Victoria has far from the best weather in Canada. Rainy, lukewarm winters and chilly summers. Somewhere in the snow belt of Southwestern Ontario would have better weather in my mind. Can we stay on topic, though? Sable Island is uninhabited except for 5 government workers and horses. I'm wondering what the town or inhabited settlement of some sort with the mildest winters is, outside of B.C.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,810,368 times
In a few decades, I doubt Toronto will even go below zero during the day during winter. The warming trend is very visible in the historical and scientific data, and seems to be accelerating. To me, the difference is very noticeable compared to the 80's and early-90's. It barely snows anymore and most winter days are above 0*.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:28 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,274,200 times
Quote:
Victoria has not grown much because of its isolation. Few people want to live on a remote island, a long ferry ride from anywhere except a little road up and down the island. And, for the same reason, nobody wants to invest in job creation in a place so few people are willing to isolate themselves.

So, in a way, Victoria is the best affordable place in the world to live, as long as your lifestyle doesn't require easy travel to other places, and you are just happy to sit at home forever.
???? I would not say Victoria is anything like that at all. Plenty of people commute daily.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:33 PM

3,019 posts, read 2,692,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
The Wikipedia article says the average low in February (the coldest month) is only 0°C and the average high is 4°! That seems to be very mild weather for Canada. I'm not sure if the article is accurate or not.

If not Shelburne, which place in Eastern Canada has the mildest winters? I'm curious as to finding out. Many snowbirds move to BC when they retire. I'm wondering where they'd go if BC was off limits, assuming they're staying in this country.
That Wikipedia numbers can only be derived after sniffing excessive amounts of glue. Here is what the actual data says.

Sable Island, NS, definitely has the mildest winters in Canada east of the BC coast.

Victoria has the best weather in Canada. Not only does it have those winters mild, but they also have the driest summers in Canada.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,320,303 times
As said before though - Sable Island (a few hundred km east of Halifax) is uninhabited.

The highest January maximums east of BC are Cape Sable Island, which is the southernmost tip of Nova Scotia. It is inhabited - the main town is Clark's Harbour.

Average January max is 1.4C.

Pretty much everywhere else east of BC has an average January max below zero. Including SW Ontario around Windsor which is in the -1 to -2C range.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,250,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
In a few decades, I doubt Toronto will even go below zero during the day during winter. The warming trend is very visible in the historical and scientific data, and seems to be accelerating. To me, the difference is very noticeable compared to the 80's and early-90's. It barely snows anymore and most winter days are above 0*.
that's fantastic news.
I wish warming continues and Toronto will cease to see anything below -10C in the winter downtown, with half of last winter's snow fall.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:52 AM

3,019 posts, read 2,692,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pretty much everywhere else east of BC has an average January max below zero. Including SW Ontario around Windsor which is in the -1 to -2C range.
Comparing January in BC to January in Nova Scotia is not quite right because the coldest month of the year in much of BC is December while the coldest month of the year in most of Nova Scotia is January, and is even February on Sable Island.

Pretty much every place in BC that is not along the coast also has an average max below zero in the coldest month as well. The 4 exceptions to the rule are the valley bottoms of the Okanagan and lower Similkameen valleys, the Fraser and Thompson canyons, the land along the Shuswap water system, and the southern portions of West Kootenay valleys.

ETA: Sable Island, NS, has the warmest Falls in Canada.

Last edited by Glacierx; 09-03-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada