U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-03-2013, 08:16 AM
 
91 posts, read 158,824 times
Reputation: 115

Advertisements

Hi.

I have gotten an opportunity to study in St. John's Newfoundland. I have the course of my choice and even the tuition is very low. But there is something that is bothering me. The fact that this province is hardly ever talked about, and the fact that it is so far removed.

I love the fact that the city of St Johns is very picturesque and close to nature but after having lived in Ottawa and Toronto will it take some adjusting? I am used to a multicultural crowd, and Ottawa was massively populated, as was Toronto. I liked the fact that I could hop on a plane and go to NYC or San Francisco. Basically will I be removed from the mainstream life?
Anyone ever lived in or visited St. John's?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 AM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,035,533 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Hi.

I have gotten an opportunity to study in St. John's Newfoundland. I have the course of my choice and even the tuition is very low. But there is something that is bothering me. The fact that this province is hardly ever talked about, and the fact that it is so far removed.

I love the fact that the city of St Johns is very picturesque and close to nature but after having lived in Ottawa and Toronto will it take some adjusting? I am used to a multicultural crowd, and Ottawa was massively populated, as was Toronto. I liked the fact that I could hop on a plane and go to NYC or San Francisco. Basically will I be removed from the mainstream life?
Anyone ever lived in or visited St. John's?
Of course it will take some adjusting when you move to a metropolitan area of approximately 200,000 inhabitants from places with, what, 1,250,000 people and 5,600,000 people respectively. There are simply some things to which you have grown accustomed that won't be available in St. John's. Also, public transit in St. John's is embarrassingly bad when compared to Ottawa or Toronto (not that Ottawa and Toronto are international leaders on that front).

And St. John's is not multicultural. When compared to what you might well be used to, it's overwhelmingly white and native English speaking.

You'll likely be removed from whatever you think mainstream life is, but you're on an island, off an island, off the mainland of North America. What do you expect in a place that is out on the edge of the North Atlantic? That's part of its charm.

There is non-stop year-round air service to NYC, Toronto and Ottawa for those times when you need a fix of whatever you might be missing. There is also seasonal non-stop air service to London and year-round direct one-stop (via Halifax) air service to Montreal. Air travel to and from Newfoundland is expensive, though, so you might not be able to get out as much as you would like.

Anything else?

Last edited by maclock; 08-03-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 02:42 PM
 
Location: Londonderry, NH
41,492 posts, read 51,426,259 times
Reputation: 24613
Newfoundland has been on my "must get there" list for decades. Every thing I have read says the people are great and the winters are no joke. I suggest, as you are young, you take the chance and give it a year.

Try Google Street View for a look at the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 10:19 PM
 
91 posts, read 158,824 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

And St. John's is not multicultural. When compared to what you might well be used to, it's overwhelmingly white and native English speaking.
Anything else?
Oh, I love white!!
I am an East Indian and when I first came to Canada I wanted to immerse myself in the local culture. I was the only brown student in an ocean full of whites, and I absolutely enjoyed it. I enjoyed thanksgiving and Halloween, and even became something of an exotic specimen. So I'd love that.

However what I meant was how even most of my canadian friends knew anything about Newfoundland. I think its closer to North Pole than it is to many American cities(which is cool in a way). Also, would the population be more religious than Ontarians? Not that it is an issue at all. I think I might give it a look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2013, 10:48 PM
 
1,317 posts, read 2,035,533 times
Reputation: 1132
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
Oh, I love white!!
I am an East Indian and when I first came to Canada I wanted to immerse myself in the local culture. I was the only brown student in an ocean full of whites, and I absolutely enjoyed it. I enjoyed thanksgiving and Halloween, and even became something of an exotic specimen. So I'd love that.

However what I meant was how even most of my canadian friends knew anything about Newfoundland. I think its closer to North Pole than it is to many American cities(which is cool in a way). Also, would the population be more religious than Ontarians? Not that it is an issue at all. I think I might give it a look.
They're not very religious at all. Once upon a time, they were, but then they grew up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 AM
 
Location: OK
2,747 posts, read 6,494,262 times
Reputation: 1894
Newfoundland is an amazing place with amazing people. If you are lucky enough to spend time there, do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,461,873 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
it's overwhelmingly white and native English speaking.
English speaking with a heavy dose of Lord Tunnerin Jaysus By!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-04-2013, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
I would jump at the chance to go to Newfoundland and Labrador. As one poster said it is on my " must get there " list as well.
All the people I know who have been, albeit for holidays, have loved it and it's people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 AM
 
Location: OK
2,747 posts, read 6,494,262 times
Reputation: 1894
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
English speaking with a heavy dose of Lord Tunnerin Jaysus By!
No, no. It is Lard Thundering Jaysus. Lol.

As an honorary Newf I felt the need to point this out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2013, 08:35 AM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,461,873 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annemieke Roell View Post
No, no. It is Lard Thundering Jaysus. Lol.

As an honorary Newf I felt the need to point this out
K...got it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top