U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:03 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,709,959 times

Advertisements

Are there any visible minorities who've purchased acreages in rural SK? Did you face any issues? By rural, I mean any community village-sized or smaller (no minimum size).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM

1,303 posts, read 990,894 times
A number of Chinese, Koreans, Vietnamese etc. have purchased farmland in Saskatchewan.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:38 AM

127 posts, read 221,371 times
you can’t buy a farm in Canada if you are not a citizen or permanent resident . just to let you know

Old 08-06-2013, 10:44 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,656,522 times
There's a Muslim school in Prelate (pop. about 140), near my old stomping grounds. Not sure the total number of students, nor that all of them are visible minorities (though the total number of Muslim cowboys is generally thought to be quite low, so probably not a lot of local students). So far as I've heard, they've gotten on pretty well with the rest of the community.

I used to know a family down in the Cadillac-Ponteix area that had come from somewhere in Northeast Africa (Ethiopia or Eritrea, I think - it's been a while since I thought about it). There were a few local ne'er-do-wells that hung around town that tried to cause trouble for them - there was lots of offers of help from neighbours, etc, but the old man didn't need any - he ran the whole crowd out of the area on his own. He's become something of a local legend for it. Seems the town had been trying to get rid of them for years. I'm not sure if he's still around or not, though I'm quite certain his sons are still farming down there.

I recall visiting an East Indian doctor in Herbert (which followed one of my less clever moments, but that's another story). He seemed happy enough, and the townspeople seemed to generally like him. He certainly did a bang up job on me.

I'm not sure where he lived, though he made rounds through several towns in the area, if memory serves. He's certainly not alone in being a visible minority practicing medicine in small communities in the province.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:29 PM

12,724 posts, read 8,800,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzz View Post
you can’t buy a farm in Canada if you are not a citizen or permanent resident . just to let you know
Not true. It's restricted with different rules by province. Here's an incomplete list from a CBC article.

In Canada, several provinces have protections in place limiting the amount of agricultural land foreigners can buy.

Alberta limits non-residents to two plots of agricultural or recreational land not exceeding a total of 20 acres.
Saskatchewan restricts sale of agricultural land to foreigners to 10 acres.
Manitoba prevents non-residents from owning more than 40 acres of farmland and requires that they move to the province within two years of purchasing the land.
Quebec doesn't allow non-residents to purchase farmland at all without permission from the Commission de protection du territoire agricole du Québec. A non-resident is anyone who has lived in the province for less than 366 days within the 24 months preceding a real estate transaction.
Canada's open-door policy is comparable to the approach to foreign property ownership in other countries, including the U.S., Germany, France and the U.K.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM

31 posts, read 12,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not true. It's restricted with different rules by province. Here's an incomplete list from a CBC article.

In Canada, several provinces have protections in place limiting the amount of agricultural land foreigners can buy.

Alberta limits non-residents to two plots of agricultural or recreational land not exceeding a total of 20 acres.
Saskatchewan restricts sale of agricultural land to foreigners to 10 acres.
Manitoba prevents non-residents from owning more than 40 acres of farmland and requires that they move to the province within two years of purchasing the land.
Quebec doesn't allow non-residents to purchase farmland at all without permission from the Commission de protection du territoire agricole du Québec. A non-resident is anyone who has lived in the province for less than 366 days within the 24 months preceding a real estate transaction.
Canada's open-door policy is comparable to the approach to foreign property ownership in other countries, including the U.S., Germany, France and the U.K.
Could you post the link to that article?

Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM

12,724 posts, read 8,800,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Could you post the link to that article?
Certainly.

Real estate rules don't discriminate against foreigners - Politics - CBC News

Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM

3,275 posts, read 3,709,959 times
Anyway, I'm a PR so it doesn't matter to me.

Owning farmland is one thing, but actually living in the community is a different story.

Old 08-07-2013, 03:16 PM

1,303 posts, read 990,894 times
The ones I posted about are living on the farms and they are first generation Canadian citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or