U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 AM

1,655 posts, read 1,638,267 times

Advertisements

God I almost forgot Danger Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
I actually loved, loved, loved J-pod, one of my favourite CBC shows of all time and totally underrated. The Foundation was also hilarious but didn`t last long as a comedy about the crooked director of a charity. Alot of the modern Canadian shows, I like, but they seem aimed at an eventual expansion into the US and tone down their Canadianness in weird ways. Like 18 to life, about 18 year olds in Montreal, but where they ignore the existence of CEGEP and everyone goes from highschool to University, and for some reason football is suddenly a really big deal. Or Lost Girl, set in Toronto but where they do everything in their power to make it "àny metropolis USA" and never mention anything that might be distinct from the US or even the name of the city they reside in. Good shows, but modern Canadian non-CBC stuff seems to either be a sitcom or a procedural and to suffer from this placelessness.

Old 08-08-2013, 12:32 PM

21,938 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I actually loved, loved, loved J-pod, one of my favourite CBC shows of all time and totally underrated. The Foundation was also hilarious but didn`t last long as a comedy about the crooked director of a charity. Alot of the modern Canadian shows, I like, but they seem aimed at an eventual expansion into the US and tone down their Canadianness in weird ways. Like 18 to life, about 18 year olds in Montreal, but where they ignore the existence of CEGEP and everyone goes from highschool to University, and for some reason football is suddenly a really big deal. Or Lost Girl, set in Toronto but where they do everything in their power to make it "àny metropolis USA" and never mention anything that might be distinct from the US or even the name of the city they reside in. Good shows, but modern Canadian non-CBC stuff seems to either be a sitcom or a procedural and to suffer from this placelessness.
It's not a modern phenomenon - it's always been there.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:03 PM

50 posts, read 75,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
King of Kensington
Littlest Hobo
The Beachcombers
Corner Gas
Tommy Hunter Show
I grew up as a border resident (Niagara Falls, NY) and remember King of Kensington as a good depiction of the neighborhoods in Toronto where I recall visiting family.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 PM

9,522 posts, read 9,407,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's not a modern phenomenon - it's always been there.

Do Quebec's shows maintain their "Canadianness"?

Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM

21,938 posts, read 27,338,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
99.99% of them. The Quebec TV industry's business model is based on that premise.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 PM

161 posts, read 550,820 times
Degrassi, starting from The Kids from Degrassi.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:27 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,270,013 times
Due South.

Amazing production values, great scripts, even better music ( all written for the program ), with a few well known exceptions. Do a google for " Ride Forever "/You can't keep horsemen in a cage ". Written and sung by Paul Gross, the leading actor. The video is amazingly evocative, with 50 RCMP horsemen riding off a series of freight train cars, into the snows of Alberta, in the dead of winter

.Everybody who is anybody, in Canadian acting, from the youngest to the oldest, was a guest star, and even the characters who were "supposed to be Americans " were played by Canadians.

A deaf wolf, named Diefenbaker, and a female RCMP senior officer who insisted on being called "Sir " were only a few of the dozens of running insider jokes, that went right over the heads of the American audiences. Shot entirely IN Toronto, except for the Chicago skyline in the intro, it was fun looking to see what locations in TO were being used in each episode.

Here is a link to one of the fan sites, for Due South.

Due South funeral - Wondrous Love - YouTube

Jim b

Toronto.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:38 AM

34,368 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If you are referring to the French Quebec shows many of them are the usual American sitcoms with French voice overs..

Old 08-09-2013, 03:47 AM

935 posts, read 1,056,442 times
This might be a little off topic but I too am a border resident and grew up watching the smurfs in french cause it was the only thing on the four channels we had. To me Canadian television never seemed any different from USA TV, I've never noticed anything distinctly Canadian about it. And I've always thought USA citizens and Canadians were pretty much the same, I was one of 2 Americans out of 20 students in my grad program ten years ago and we all clicked really well. So I'm wondering what makes something "Canadian" for TV? Or am I just more like a Canadian because I'm a border child and relate more with that culture than say a person from NYC or Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or