U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times

Advertisements

It is insane and I don't know why Canadians can simply bear it.

For example, a flight from Toronto to Vancouver charges "taxes and fees" of $172, while one from New York to Los Angeles charges $45. The results in a total price of $332 vs $590 for the same dates.

I am pretty sure flying from YYZ to YVR has never been $332, or $432, probably seldom $532 as well. $332 is more a Toronto-Montreal flight. My friend in LA says he will never consider paying more than $300 to fly to New York.

Taxes and fess for a YYZ-CDG (paris) flight is a whopping $603, while for JFK-CDG, it is $278, a difference of $325.

This is why all this Air Canada big sale is meaningless because even with a 50% discount, we are still stuck with a high fees and taxes, which are never on sale. So that $1068 flight to Paris even at the extremly unlikely 50% off sale is still $835, making it a 20% off sale in reality. a more realistic 20% off sale translates into a sheer 9% sale.

The fees make Canada's frequent flyer program so meaningless. You fly with AC so many times and finally get your "free" short-haul flight with 15000 miles, thinking you can fly to New York for free, only surprised to learn that even with all the 15K miles, you still need to throw in another $145 in fees and surcharges, which essentially means the 15k mileage in fact only gives something like a 50% discount on your next flight. On the other hand, with 15k from AA or Delta, you pay something like $15 in fees from Salt Lake City to Boston.

Is the Canadian government being smart with all the fees, in addition to the already greedy "base fare" offered to Canadian airlines? Our airports and airlines are actually losing customers and revenue because many Canadians will simply fly out of neighbouring American airports. Several American border city airports become extremely succesful thanks to Canadian customers.

We Canadian customers are like cows to be milked until the last drop, by the large companies as well as our own government, and people seem to be fine with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
It's a joke. I can fly my family of three from Houston to Seattle for about what a single seat flying from Houston to Vancouver would run me.

So I can fly, rent a car, and drive for the two hours, or spend an additional $1000 for the "pleasure" of flying into YVR.

Don't even talk about what it's going to cost to fly to Calgary for Christmas...

Old 08-06-2013, 07:01 PM

377 posts, read 1,515,723 times
Personally, I'm not fine with it. I feel it's outrageous and US travel will continue to get the majority of my vacation dollars until it changes.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I can fly from Buffalo to Seattle for 40% cheaper than Toronto to Vancouver.

That said, cost aside I do find air travel in Canada to be a much more pleasant experience. Our airports are much cleaner, modern and efficient than most US airports, the security procedures aren't as invasive and our major carriers provide better customer service overall.

Is all that worth 40% more? Probably not, but I certainly feel we get fair value at least when it comes to "Airport Improvement Fees" which are typically a decent chunk of a plane ticket.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 AM

34,380 posts, read 41,471,780 times
It seems after all the add ons and taxes a flights advertized price will double by the time you get to the final price.
As a protest i've decided to never fly again...

Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberated in TO View Post
Personally, I'm not fine with it. I feel it's outrageous and US travel will continue to get the majority of my vacation dollars until it changes.

It's absolutely ridiculous that I can fly from Buffalo to Seattle for 40% cheaper than Toronto to Vancouver.

That said, cost aside I do find air travel in Canada to be a much more pleasant experience. Our airports are much cleaner, modern and efficient than most US airports, the security procedures aren't as invasive and our major carriers provide better customer service overall.

Is all that worth 40% more? Probably not, but I certainly feel we get fair value at least when it comes to "Airport Improvement Fees" which are typically a decent chunk of a plane ticket.
Probably the single biggest reason for the experience being better, is that Canada never had a culture or set up that allowed the non-flying public access to the gates. There always was the terminal, security, and then amenities/gates after security.

The older US airports, like LAX always had security much closer to the immediate gate, and all of the areas were open to everyone, ticket or not. As a result, a lot of older airports had to squeeze these new security areas into spaces that weren't designed for the passenger loads. This has changed a lot over the past decade, as terminals are renovated or new ones are built to accommodate the lines earlier in the terminal, and facilities are added after the security point.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 AM

12,688 posts, read 8,753,261 times
Some people in Vancouver head to Bellingham, some even Seattle. I flew to NYC from Seattle once to save a couple of hundred, and I'll never do it again. The extra time it takes and having to schlepp my way back to Vancouver once landing in either of those two cities just is not worth it.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM

230 posts, read 434,864 times
You do occasionally find good deals though. I once found tickets to Lisbon, Portugal from Pearson for $650 (in July mind you), and that included taxes and fees. The trick is to check literally every day, several times a day on individual airlines' websites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or