U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 09:26 PM

6,227 posts, read 6,382,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Soccer has been growing steadily since the 1970s and is now the most popular participant sport in Quebec.

Canadian gridiron football has always been present (longer than soccer) but has exploded in popularity over the past 10 years.
What about ice hockey? Has Association football supplanted hockey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, the rents are very reasonable in Montreal. I recently checked out a fabulous little coach house in the Monkland Village, which is a prime location. One bedroom, two storey, yard, internet and hot water included.
$700 a month. It was gone in less than a day.
What about buying: residential, or investment? And what about commercial rents?

Also is there a big organized crime problem in Montreal and Quebec in general. The tour guide for the Lachine Rapids Jet Boating excursion kept making references to the Mafia?

And the wiki said there were a handful of asian shopping centers in Brossard. I went to Brossard, and I only saw one.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM

15,087 posts, read 12,022,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
What about buying: residential, or investment? And what about commercial rents?

Also is there a big organized crime problem in Montreal and Quebec in general. The tour guide for the Lachine Rapids Jet Boating excursion kept making references to the Mafia?

And the wiki said there were a handful of asian shopping centers in Brossard. I went to Brossard, and I only saw one.
Yes, we have the mafia in Montreal, but I don't really consider them a problem, per se. They tend to only kill each other and firebomb each other' Italian cafés, in a "settling of accounts". They'll find some Goodfella dead in his Mercedes or shot through his kitchen window. Stuff like that. It doesn't impact my life.
I don't know anything about commercial or investment properties but if you Google it, there's a wealth of info.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM

34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
There a big organized crime problem in Montreal and Quebec in general. .
Mafia is here big time along with biker gangs and a political hierarchy that reads more like a banana republic as it seems every one is on the take.
Read up on the level of corruption.
https://www.google.ca/#bav=on.2,or.r...on&safe=active

Also in my opinion hockey still has more interest than football or soccer.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:44 AM

21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times
Quote:
What about ice hockey? Has Association football supplanted hockey?
Soccer has grown a lot but it is not even close to hockey when it comes to a spectator sport.

Hockey is still a fairly close second to soccer when it comes to participation sport for kids, and of course much of soccer's popularity comes from the fact that it is cheap and easy for parents to register their kids in.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:01 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,562,305 times
^^^ Doesn't Canada have dollar stores? Dollarma or whatever it is called. Buy from there!

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM

34,398 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
^^^ Doesn't Canada have dollar stores? Dollarma or whatever it is called. Buy from there!
Sports equipment isnt product you buy from a dollar store .A low cost hockey outfit can easily reach $500..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Mafia is here big time along with biker gangs and a political hierarchy that reads more like a banana republic as it seems every one is on the take.
Read up on the level of corruption.
https://www.google.ca/#bav=on.2,or.r...on&safe=active

Also in my opinion hockey still has more interest than football or soccer.
I take it Quebec is a not a business friendly province, unless you are will to get your hands "wet"

Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Soccer has grown a lot but it is not even close to hockey when it comes to a spectator sport.

Hockey is still a fairly close second to soccer when it comes to participation sport for kids, and of course much of soccer's popularity comes from the fact that it is cheap and easy for parents to register their kids in.
I see, that is like in the US. Parents are steering their kids away from American Football, and into soccer here.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:52 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,274,977 times
NJ Brazen:

No one has mentioned this yet........ In order to live and work in any part of Canada, you would need to qualify as an Immigrant, by applying and being accepted, by the Canadian Government.

That isn't easy to do. You would need to be EITHER a University grad, with a degree in a field that is IN Demand in Canada..... Or be a U.S. State certified skilled trades person, with a minimum of 5 years of actual working experience, in your trade.

Here is a link to the basic Citizenship and Immigration information website. READ the part about "immigration to Canada ".

Home - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Canada

Further points, about Immigration into Quebec. Quebec has specific language requirements, for those who want to go there to live and work. Anyone who is a " licensed professional " of any type, will need to be FLUENT in French, to be able to be recognized by Quebec's Government. Examples would be Medical Doctors, Dentists, Engineers, Scientists, and so on.......Fluent means that you can speak, read, and write in French, as a University level of ability.

It may sound daunting, but about 25,000 US citizens a year come to Canada as Immigrants, mostly NOT to Quebec, due to the language requirements that I pointed out above. A further 20,000 Americans come here each year as University students, to get a degree in Canada.

In the last US Federal election, about 900,000 Americans, who live and work in Canada, cast a "overseas vote ". Many Canadian cities have Democratic or Republican party groups, that meet monthly. We jokingly say that Los Angles is the largest Canadian city in the USA, due to the large number of Canucks who work in the movies, and music industries, down there. We're everywhere !

Jim B

Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or