U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I take it Quebec is a not a business friendly province, unless you are will to get your hands "wet"
Lots of businesses seem to survive quite nicely.
You are more likely to get hassled by the Language police than the underworld..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 6,367,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
NJ Brazen:

No one has mentioned this yet........ In order to live and work in any part of Canada, you would need to qualify as an Immigrant, by applying and being accepted, by the Canadian Government.

That isn't easy to do. You would need to be EITHER a University grad, with a degree in a field that is IN Demand in Canada..... Or be a U.S. State certified skilled trades person, with a minimum of 5 years of actual working experience, in your trade.

Here is a link to the basic Citizenship and Immigration information website. READ the part about "immigration to Canada ".

Home - Citizenship and Immigration Canada - Canada

Further points, about Immigration into Quebec. Quebec has specific language requirements, for those who want to go there to live and work. Anyone who is a " licensed professional " of any type, will need to be FLUENT in French, to be able to be recognized by Quebec's Government. Examples would be Medical Doctors, Dentists, Engineers, Scientists, and so on.......Fluent means that you can speak, read, and write in French, as a University level of ability.

It may sound daunting, but about 25,000 US citizens a year come to Canada as Immigrants, mostly NOT to Quebec, due to the language requirements that I pointed out above. A further 20,000 Americans come here each year as University students, to get a degree in Canada.

In the last US Federal election, about 900,000 Americans, who live and work in Canada, cast a "overseas vote ". Many Canadian cities have Democratic or Republican party groups, that meet monthly. We jokingly say that Los Angles is the largest Canadian city in the USA, due to the large number of Canucks who work in the movies, and music industries, down there. We're everywhere !

Jim B

Toronto.
I really dont want to immigrate, or become a resident. I could stay for a while on vacation sure. Or maybe make some investments, and come over to oversee it, and spend some fun time while I am there. But I am a proud and true Americano.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:11 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,277,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Lots of businesses seem to survive quite nicely.
You are more likely to get hassled by the Language police than the underworld..
At least the mafia won't care if you have a coffee or a café or caffè.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:33 PM

6,208 posts, read 6,367,489 times
But what if you start making more money, and can no longer call yourself a small business? Will the mob want a cut? There is that new hotel in Baie St Paul called La Ferme. It is big, and fancy looking. I assume they built it with local workers. Did the mafia get a cut of the that?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:40 PM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
But what if you start making more money, and can no longer call yourself a small business? Will the mob want a cut? There is that new hotel in Baie St Paul called La Ferme. It is big, and fancy looking. I assume they built it with local workers. Did the mafia get a cut of the that?
I have never heard of this being a big issue in Quebec. It's limited or was limited to certain sectors like paving contracts, strip joints, etc., and also might exist in a few ethnic communities in Montreal.

But no one really asks you average tire shop or landscaping company for protection money in Quebec. This isn't... well, I don't have to name the places. You know what I mean.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:20 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Quote:
The problem is mostly a problem with government corruption, not so much with the mafia shaking down local businesses. There is some shaking down of small businesses, but not too much, and they're much more vulnerable to this sort of thing possibly happening compared to big businesses which are basically immune. It's also more a problem in Montreal than in places like Baie St. Paul where the mafia doesn't have much presence.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:52 AM

34,374 posts, read 41,463,803 times
Quote:
You 're getting ahead of the game, i'd start making the big money first then start worrying about any potential mafia threat..

Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 AM

3,072 posts, read 4,277,280 times
Mafia is into large-scale construction, government contracts, gambling, adult industry, that sort of thing. They don't have time for small business, that isn't worth it. Mafia here also has a lot of legit business. If you stay out of that, you'll have no issues.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:44 AM

21,941 posts, read 27,343,960 times
If NJ Brazen is from New Jersey, I'd say it's safe to state that it is no bigger an issue than in his or her home state. Maybe even less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or