Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:41 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times

Advertisements

I just came back from French Canada, and I just want to say, what a nice place to visit. But I want to know what is it like, cost of living wise, to actually live there.

To tell you about my trip, I stayed from 5 nights in Baie St Paul. Hiked in the Grands Jardins, biked in Haute Gorges, and sea kayaked out on the St Lawrence. Beautiful place, and the food was great in Baie St Paul. It was expensive, NYC prices, but still good.

I am curious, I take it most people make there living up there in farming correct? If not what do they do?

I went to Quebec city for a bit too. I drove through Saint Roche, and Sainte Jean Baptiste. I cannot help but a the sense that Quebec City is quite affluent. Sainte Jean Baptiste looks like Hoboken, and Sainte Roche almost looks like the West Village. Kind of that is. Every building just looks pretty new. Are the real estate prices here very high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I just came back from French Canada, and I just want to say, what a nice place to visit. But I want to know what is it like, cost of living wise, to actually live there.

To tell you about my trip, I stayed from 5 nights in Baie St Paul. Hiked in the Grands Jardins, biked in Haute Gorges, and sea kayaked out on the St Lawrence. Beautiful place, and the food was great in Baie St Paul. It was expensive, NYC prices, but still good.

I am curious, I take it most people make there living up there in farming correct? If not what do they do?

I went to Quebec city for a bit too. I drove through Saint Roche, and Sainte Jean Baptiste. I cannot help but a the sense that Quebec City is quite affluent. Sainte Jean Baptiste looks like Hoboken, and Sainte Roche almost looks like the West Village. Kind of that is. Every building just looks pretty new. Are the real estate prices here very high?
The Baie-St-Paul area is known as Charlevoix. The economy is mostly tourism. Also forestry, agriculture and light manufacturing even.

Quebec City has close to the lowest unemployment rate in Canada, but the boom has not affected housing prices too much yet. It is still very affordable by Canadian standards.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:11 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,231,525 times
My MIL lives nearby those areas (Montcalm) and yes, it's expensive, but not outrageously so considering how nice the area is and your proximity to downtown Quebec City/Old Town. You are looking at $300k-ish (a little more, a little less) for a decent-sized 2/3 bedroom apartment (a lot of these old buildings are completely redone inside) and rent about $800-1200/month. This varies of course, but that is a general idea. I'm from Vancouver so to me, that seems affordable. You can view direct apartment/house prices on centris.ca although I'm not sure if it's in English too (I think there is? MLS.ca is also one).

Yes, tourism is the main business. The farms you see are just as much about tourism (agricultural tourism) as it is about food. "Food tourism" is very popular here.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:43 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,019 times
Cost of living in Quebec in general is very cheap, similar to middle of nowhere places in the U.S.

My relative lives in Montreal and pay only $500 for two bedrooms. Even houses are very affordable. Away from Montreal it's even cheaper. Man I'm dying to live in Montreal a dream!!!

Since you are from NJ, Quebec is very cheap cost of living although some stuff like gas and sales tax is slightly higher but who cares

Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Living in Montreal a few items i find expensive .
Gas=$1.45 a liter
Pack of cigarettes $12
6 pack of beer $10-$14
Vehicle registration $350 a year
Motorcycle registration $650-$1200 per year

Old 08-09-2013, 01:48 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Gas=$1.45 a liter
Pack of cigarettes $12
6 pack of beer $10-$14
the latter two items are largely offset by much much lower auto insurance premium. What's the usual rate, likeless than 1K a year? More like 3-4 months in Toronto.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:33 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Gas=$1.45 a liter
Pack of cigarettes $12
6 pack of beer $10-$14
That's the prices almost in NYC and San Francisco the most expensive cities in the USA

Gas price is like 90 - 95 cents/liter in America.

Old 08-09-2013, 03:29 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
That's the prices almost in NYC and San Francisco the most expensive cities in the USA

i guess if you ever make it to Montreal you'll feel right at home eh..

Last edited by jambo101; 08-09-2013 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-09-2013, 04:08 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,524,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post

Gas price is like 90 - 95 cents/liter in America.
Everything else is cheaper though, those items are more expensive because of sin taxes.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:20 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,939,379 times
Actually, even for basic groceries, and food items from fast food, or specialty eateries, I found to be the same as in NYC.

I do not remember the exact prices, but I do know that when the cashier read out the total, I did not get this joyous feel of "wow, everything is so cheap up here, this vacation wont max out my card afterall, I picked a great place"

But I wonder how is the real estate prices up there in Quebec City, and north along the St Lawrence. Because even down here in NYC, RE is the largest, all consuming living expense, no doubt.

Also, in the old port of Quebec City, I noticed there are residential dwellings, but does anyone actually live there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada