U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,362,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fruit View Post
The passport excuse is pure bologna. People are acting like it cost tens of thousands of dollars for a passport. It's $135 for a 5 year passport , that's $27 a year! People spend more than $135 dollars on more frivolous things every month, I know I do.
Reality isn't what's important in studying consumer decisions though, perception is. Many people see passports as an inconvenient hurdle, and that raises the prospects of alternative destinations that do not require passports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 05:45 PM

489 posts, read 1,053,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Reality isn't what's important in studying consumer decisions though, perception is. Many people see passports as an inconvenient hurdle, and that raises the prospects of alternative destinations that do not require passports.

Which means staying in the U.S for the rest of your life.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,062,060 times
Quote:
Which means staying in the U.S for the rest of your life.
It could be worse! You could be stuck in Tiara Del Fuego!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,151 times
Quote:
Visiting a country and then having someone insult your currency by calling it monopoly money, or not real money, or demanding a business take USD when they don't, getting riled up because you paid in USD and got change in CDN etc is an obnoxious thing to do.

Again, this is NOT the majority, but these stories are bound to come when when tourists, USD and Canada are talked about

Hey this is hitting the nail on the head!

You know who started all this don't you? it was none other than John Cleese in Fawlty Towers! Rememberr that American guy who came in after hours with his wife after a rough road driving on the 'wrong' side of the road and all and demanded that 'Fawlty' whip up some supper for him and then on top of that he made fun of the Brit currency to his face!! John probably met one of those guys!...;-)...

Anyway, I think Canada, if fewer US natives are going, should perhaps 'invite' us up, you know? C'mon up! Maybe a little noise would move the traffic northwards..;-)...And besides Canada does have some things to brag about.

And on another note, I did mention to some 'Quebecers' while outside their Parliament building that I was amazed that I could go walking all around the complex. Nobody bothered me at all. Now really I thought it was a public building and security should be there. For me, it looked like there wasn't any. I thought it unbelievable but of course I was in a different place. We talked for quite a while about what 9/11 did to both countries. Very enlightening. And oh btw they told me they always come down to visit. They enjoy the US.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:39 PM

4,711 posts, read 10,909,532 times
I wonder if the fact that many thousands of Americans are banned for life from entering Canada is a factor in declining tourism. A couple years ago, I had planned a Canadian vacation when I happened across an article about American tourists being turned back at the border or airport because of DUI convictions.

I'm ashamed to say I was convicted of DUI (first offense, no accident) in 1979. That experience made a believer out of me....I never drove again after consuming even one drink. I lost some some deposits I had paid but was thankful that we didn't drive 500 miles up there only to be sent packing.

I understand that there is some sort waiver one can apply for, but I'm sure it likely takes forever. For something non-essential like a vacation, I concluded that it just isn't worth the hassle. There's too many other places to vacation.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing the gravity of drinking and driving, but the banned for life policy seems a little harsh. So harsh that I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't in retaliation for some nonsense imposed on Canada by the US. It seems like barring people for multiple or recent DUIs would be more reasonable.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:25 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,362,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I wonder if the fact that many thousands of Americans are banned for life from entering Canada is a factor in declining tourism. A couple years ago, I had planned a Canadian vacation when I happened across an article about American tourists being turned back at the border or airport because of DUI convictions.

I'm ashamed to say I was convicted of DUI (first offense, no accident) in 1979. That experience made a believer out of me....I never drove again after consuming even one drink. I lost some some deposits I had paid but was thankful that we didn't drive 500 miles up there only to be sent packing.

I understand that there is some sort waiver one can apply for, but I'm sure it likely takes forever. For something non-essential like a vacation, I concluded that it just isn't worth the hassle. There's too many other places to vacation.

I don't want to sound like I'm minimizing the gravity of drinking and driving, but the banned for life policy seems a little harsh. So harsh that I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't in retaliation for some nonsense imposed on Canada by the US. It seems like barring people for multiple or recent DUIs would be more reasonable.
If I remember correctly, after 10 years with no further convictions Canada considers you "reformed".

Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,563,997 times
Quote:
The passport excuse is pure bologna. People are acting like it cost tens of thousands of dollars for a passport. It's $135 for a 5 year passport , that's $27 a year! People spend more than $135 dollars on more frivolous things every month, I know I do.
It's actually for 10 years if over 16 years.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:19 AM

2,187 posts, read 1,760,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Visiting a country and then having someone insult your currency by calling it monopoly money, or not real money, or demanding a business take USD when they don't, getting riled up because you paid in USD and got change in CDN etc is an obnoxious thing to do.

Again, this is NOT the majority, but these stories are bound to come when when tourists, USD and Canada are talked about.
Thank you again, Nat. In fairness, I will say that my "horror stories" come from a minority of American customers. Most were apologetic, as in, "Do you take US currency? I'm sorry I have no Canadian," and similar. Those customers, I was happy to help.

But there was a minority of American customers who just didn't get what being a guest in a foreign country entailed.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:06 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
It could be worse! You could be stuck in Tiara Del Fuego!
Who is this Tiara Del Fuego person? She sounds hot!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:25 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,151 times
And just a word of advice to my fellow 'Staters when you're at the Canadian border coming in from NY.
If you are wearing sunglasses I'd suggest taking them off. I think the border agent when he saw me with them on sure wasn't too thrilled that day. He was not a happy border agent...;-)...I can imagine the people they see crossing the border every day..;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or