U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:06 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,318 posts, read 6,621,532 times
Reputation: 14376

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
And just a word of advice to my fellow 'Staters when you're at the Canadian border coming in from NY.
If you are wearing sunglasses I'd suggest taking them off. I think the border agent when he saw me with them on sure wasn't too thrilled that day. He was not a happy border agent...;-)...I can imagine the people they see crossing the border every day..;-)....
Are there no signs there saying to remove hats and sunglasses?

At some of the border crossings here in the west there are signs up before the approach to the camera that takes the picture of car and driver before they reach the border agent's booth. The signs are on both the Canadian and American sides and they are telling motorists to remove sunglasses and hats before they approach the camera and the agent's booth. Just like signs you see in some banks and credit unions telling customers to remove hats and sunglasses.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:33 AM
 
4,456 posts, read 3,713,799 times
Reputation: 3109
You know if they did I guess I just didn't see the sign. I'm just not sure if there is one there at the NY border when you come in on 87.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,696 posts, read 6,552,548 times
Reputation: 8203
^^I never saw any signs at the Pembina crossing in Manitoba about glasses or hats but the last time I was in the States was five years ago. And I remember I was wearing a hat - an RCMP hat. To look unsuspicious, meek and lawabiding. I don't remember whether I was wearing sunglasses but my eyes are very sensitive to light so I probably was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:54 PM
 
2,040 posts, read 2,062,350 times
Reputation: 1059
My wife's car was in the shop yesterday so I had to pick her up after work at the factory outlets I mentioned earlier in the thread where many Canadians come to buy.

As I was waiting in the parking lot, a group of four young men got in the four-door pickup truck parked across from me. The truck had Ontario plates.

To my utter amazement and disgust, one guy jumped back out of the truck and proceeded to urinate in public right there in the lot with hundreds of cars and people around!!!

Also, thinking of this thread I asked my wife how often Canadians attempted to pay with Canadian funds. She said that store policy once was to accept it, but that changed because the clerk was required to take the time to call the bank to get the exchange rate each and every time.

She says about 20 each day try to use Canadian funds out of about 300-400 actual paying customers (not lookers who don't buy). Some are rude when told no, but most accept it without much fuss.

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,191,175 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
My wife's car was in the shop yesterday so I had to pick her up after work at the factory outlets I mentioned earlier in the thread where many Canadians come to buy.

As I was waiting in the parking lot, a group of four young men got in the four-door pickup truck parked across from me. The truck had Ontario plates.

To my utter amazement and disgust, one guy jumped back out of the truck and proceeded to urinate in public right there in the lot with hundreds of cars and people around!!!

Also, thinking of this thread I asked my wife how often Canadians attempted to pay with Canadian funds. She said that store policy once was to accept it, but that changed because the clerk was required to take the time to call the bank to get the exchange rate each and every time.

She says about 20 each day try to use Canadian funds out of about 300-400 actual paying customers (not lookers who don't buy). Some are rude when told no, but most accept it without much fuss.

Posted with TapaTalk
Meh. My downtown gets about 300 Americans doing the same thing in store front doorways on the main drag every weekend.

I know, it is gross, and rude. Thankfully, a large chunck of those people get arrested the instant they zip up, or, get up from their squat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM
 
2,040 posts, read 2,062,350 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Meh. My downtown gets about 300 Americans doing the same thing in store front doorways on the main drag every weekend.

I know, it is gross, and rude. Thankfully, a large chunck of those people get arrested the instant they zip up, or, get up from their squat.
No offense, but how do you ID urine or poop as to it's nationality?

I rather doubt you are sitting there all weekend watching this happen and then asking for their passports?

Posted with TapaTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,191,175 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
No offense, but how do you ID urine or poop as to it's nationality?

I rather doubt you are sitting there all weekend watching this happen and then asking for their passports?

Posted with TapaTalk

I guess you've never heard a Michigan accent before.


Plus, they tend to plant a flag atop their mound.

No doubt there are Canadians doing it too, but our downtown is PACKED with young Americans on the weekends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2013, 06:57 PM
 
18,354 posts, read 10,418,262 times
Reputation: 13419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I guess you've never heard a Michigan accent before.


Plus, they tend to plant a flag atop their mound.

No doubt there are Canadians doing it too, but our downtown is PACKED with young Americans on the weekends.
Man that takes me back to my navy days and visiting U.S. ships at Esquimalt Dockyard. We'd take some of the lower decks over to Naden to the Club 44 and start buying them rounds of good old Canadian beer. After about 5 of those we were drinking by ourselves, the higher alcohol content used to hit them hard.

I was one of the duty driver's on call for the Starboard Mid's watch HMCS Naden so I could requisition one of the Dodge Shore Patrol vans, load them all up to then drop them off at their gangway in a heap and beat feet out of there before their quarter-deck duty watch asked us to help carry them aboard.

I can still remember getting my azz chewed by a really salty old Bosun's Mate for not hosing out the back of the van after one of those trips. Apparently it sat in the pool for days, ripening in the sun, before it's next trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top