U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 05:23 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,771,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
My reply to visiting Americans who want to use US currency in Canada is simple....

"Can I use my Canadian dollars in YOUR American home town ? " Obviously not.

By the way, ATM's in Canada dispense " Canadian Money " 24 hours a day.

When in Rome .........

Jim B

Toronto.
...except that many businesses in Canada will accept USD, so the analogy isn't quite right. I can use CDN at certain shops in Bellingham, Washington, so if I asked someone from there your question...???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...except that many businesses in Canada will accept USD, so the analogy isn't quite right. I can use CDN at certain shops in Bellingham, Washington, so if I asked someone from there your question...???
Or what happens when you get to the BMO branch just to find that the ATM is behind a locked door that your US ATM card will not open ...

I always accepted Canadian cash at my business in the city of Detroit. Why alienate 30% of my cash customers?

Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,174,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or what happens when you get to the BMO branch just to find that the ATM is behind a locked door that your US ATM card will not open ...

I always accepted Canadian cash at my business in the city of Detroit. Why alienate 30% of my cash customers?
I wish I had shopped at your store lol

The only guy who will take my money is the dude selling his albums in the street near Comerica Park. lol

Old 08-17-2013, 09:40 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,762,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Unfortunately sometimes the written word does not convey whether a person is being snarky or sarcastic. Your interpretation was that it was, mine was that it was not. Which line did you see as snarky?
I did not see CS post as being snarky. I saw it as good advice. The US should change the look of their currency every 10 years as a lot of countries do, to help prevent counterfeiting. The rest of the advice about using CDN instead of USD in Canada is a sound valid piece of information that any savvy traveller knows.

As far as CS's comment about being shafted on exchange rates by using USD in stores, well that is simply true in the vast majority of the cases.
I certainly agree that sometimes the written word does not always convey the true meaning of ones intentions, however, I stand by my observations and understanding on this particular post. Again, I must say that the facts of the post were not offensive but rather the manner and tone in which it was delivered.

Forgive me as I myself was preparing a lengthy snarky reply, however, that is not what I want to leave here. Please don't invest yourself in another reply as the good posters here have clearly indicated the appropriate response to the query of this post...Fewer US tourists than 10 years ago?

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Here in rural Manitoba we have mile roads because of the way the road system was set up. Every mile there is a road, which made it easy to count off the miles when giving people directions and our driveway is at the half mile mark of one of these miles so I still use miles in giving people directions to our place.
As one who grew up in Ontario, it's the same thing. Concession roads were 1.25 miles apart; townships were 16 miles square; sideroads were 8 miles apart. Roads themselves were 66 feet wide (33 feet from centre). Toronto today has this pattern: east-west concession roads from the south are Queen, Bloor, St. Clair, Eglinton, Lawrence, York Mills/Wilson, Sheppard, Finch, and Steeles. Each 1.25 miles from the other. The same occurs for the north-south streets (going eastbound): Yonge, Bayview, Leslie, Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy, McCowan, Markham, Morningside. If you know your concession roads in Toronto, you know how far you are from anywhere. In miles, though.

Additionally, properties were laid out in nice, even numbers of feet. A thirty-foot frontage by 100 feet back, for example. Buildings were built with studs on 14-inch centres; joists on 16-inch centres. Foundations had to be at least 4 inches wide. And so on, and so on.

Why Canada went metric, I'll never know. Our American friends get along just fine in miles, quarts, Fahrenheit, and pounds. Oh, the US can create goods in metric measurements for export to the countries that need them; but for everyday use, there's no need for the average American to know metric. I think it was the same in Canada: we did not need to change. For those of us who lived through it, it was like having to learn a whole new language.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:46 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,756,364 times
First of all, thanks, Nat, for your support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
I certainly agree that sometimes the written word does not always convey the true meaning of ones intentions, however, I stand by my observations and understanding on this particular post. Again, I must say that the facts of the post were not offensive but rather the manner and tone in which it was delivered.
If the manner and tone were offensive; well, perhaps I achieved my objective: telling Americans that if we accept their currency, that we're doing them a favour. We don't have to accept it. There is no law saying we have to. We can charge whatever exchange rate we wish, no matter how ridiculous. If we choose not to accept US greenbacks for your purchase, you're out of luck.

Just because I'm wondering: what is wrong with Canadian currency? It trades on world markets, it is regarded as a stable, hard western currency, and a number of non-North American countries hold it in their reserves. It is good enough for the government of China to hold billions of Canadian dollars in reserve; why does the American tourist hold the Canadian dollar in such contempt?

Although the retailer I worked for usually accepted US currency, I did refuse one sale to a particularly obnoxious American, who handed me US currency and told me, "No change in that Canadian crap of yours; I want real money." I told him to go to the bank on the corner and come back with real money--Canadian currency, that is. My manager backed me up. No sale was made. The would-be customer left, and did not return.

However. Americans can avoid these situations by using Canadian currency for retail purchases in Canada, or using a credit card. Sadly, many insist on using US currency, and getting scammed on the retailer's exchange rate in the process. The US dollar may be how oil is priced on world markets, but that does not make it a de facto world currency. If a foreign retailer takes your US dollars, they're doing it as a favour. They don't have to take it at all; especially here in Canada, where we have our own hard western currency that trades on world markets, same as the US dollar does.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 08-18-2013 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,762,323 times
Default Sadly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
<snip>

If the manner and tone were offensive; well, perhaps I achieved my objective: telling Americans that if we accept their currency, that we're doing them a favour. We don't have to accept it. There is no law saying we have to. We can charge whatever exchange rate we wish, no matter how ridiculous. If we choose not to accept US greenbacks for your purchase, you're out of luck.

Just because I'm wondering: what is wrong with Canadian currency? It trades on world markets, it is regarded as a stable, hard western currency, and a number of non-North American countries hold it in their reserves. It is good enough for the government of China to hold billions of Canadian dollars in reserve; why does the American tourist hold the Canadian dollar in such contempt?

Although the retailer I worked for usually accepted US currency, I did refuse one sale to a particularly obnoxious American, who handed me US currency and told me, "No change in that Canadian crap of yours; I want real money." I told him to go to the bank on the corner and come back with real money--Canadian currency, that is. My manager backed me up. No sale was made. The would-be customer left, and did not return.

However. Americans can avoid these situations by using Canadian currency for retail purchases in Canada, or using a credit card. Sadly, many insist on using US currency, and getting scammed on the retailer's exchange rate in the process. The US dollar may be how oil is priced on world markets, but that does not make it a de facto world currency. If a foreign retailer takes your US dollars, they're doing it as a favour. They don't have to take it at all; especially here in Canada, where we have our own hard western currency that trades on world markets, same as the US dollar does.
Ahhh, I understand everything completely now, thank you for the crystal clear explanation of events leading up to your decision to inform and educate obnoxious Americans. I suspect that the good citizens of the country of Canada provide quite a few favors to the citizens of America as well as the country as a whole. I also suspect, that, perhaps is why (in response to the OP) there are fewer American tourists in the last ten years...we are simply ashamed of oursleves.

Let me be the first to offer an apology for myself (as an American citizen) and on behalf of America and Americans everywhere. I suspect, however, that I could offer alms asking for mercy (ἐλεημοσύνη) for ALL that America is guilty of (in the past, presently, and in the future), every single day and it would be for nought.

It is sad to me that according to the Canadian AND world view, there is no virtue or endearing quality to be said of America or her citizens and yet...

Well, let's leave it at that, shall we?

God Bless Canada, our dearest neighbor AND America as well, as it appears she will need all the blessings she can get.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 08-18-2013, 07:12 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,060,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Well, change the look of your currency every ten years or so. It is easy to counterfeit American $100 dollar bills when they have been in circulation since the 1920s. Even the recent redesigns aren't very different from what they were. You need a total redisign--substitute Ben Franklin on the $100 for FDR, for example. Also, use totally different colours for your bills: green for the $1, blue for the $5, purple for the $10, orange for the $100, etc. Make your currency difficult to counterfeit, and foreign countries will eagerly accept it.
You really don't seem to know much about US currency to be making such statements.

US currency is probably one of the most difficult to counterfeit in the world.

If it is counterfeited more so than most is because it is so internationally recognized and accepted in so many places.

Our bills DO get changed with more and more anti-counterfeiting measures added no more than every ten years.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-18-2013, 11:00 AM

14,266 posts, read 24,016,895 times
This thread is reminding me of the time I spent at the University of Toronto in the early 80s. I had a great time, fit in pretty well, and met some great people while I was there. But there was always one or two people, usually from Ontario, who would always make a big deal that I was a US citizen, not Canadian. It was mildly amusing but after a while, rather irritating.

=====================================

My father just returned from his three week vacation in Eastern Ontario. When I told him about the thread, he was laughing his tail off. He said, "NO, I don't pay the owner of the resort in Canadian money. He requests a check in US funds sent to him at his Florida address in January."

Old 08-18-2013, 11:49 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,060,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
This thread is reminding me of the time I spent at the University of Toronto in the early 80s. I had a great time, fit in pretty well, and met some great people while I was there. But there was always one or two people, usually from Ontario, who would always make a big deal that I was a US citizen, not Canadian. It was mildly amusing but after a while, rather irritating.

=====================================

My father just returned from his three week vacation in Eastern Ontario. When I told him about the thread, he was laughing his tail off. He said, "NO, I don't pay the owner of the resort in Canadian money. He requests a check in US funds sent to him at his Florida address in January."
Reminds me of the motorcycle parts supply owner I deal with in Ontario. All his prices and payment are in US funds (including from his Canadian customers):

http://northerneagle.ca/

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or