U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 11:21 PM

322 posts, read 484,562 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I was recently notified that my firm has an opening for my position in Calgary. I wanted to know, how is the city? I have Canadian relatives, but they all live in Toronto and Ottawa. I can spend about $4k a month on rent, but I would not like to spend above $2k. But to my knowledge, housing in Canada is expensive. Also, is Calgary diverse? And is there a decent sized amount of young professionals? How would they treat a black person? Which areas are safe?

I know this is a repost, but no one was responding to it in the Calgary forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM

3,274 posts, read 3,689,739 times
Not as diverse as TO but way more diverse than Saskatoon or Regina. Loads of young professionals because of the job market. Unfortunately, I don't know much about housing prices.

I don't know what the culture is like in TO but I can tell you this about the Prairies, including Calgary: while it is unlikely that you will face any outright racism, expect to see many subtle signs of it, including cold shoulders, fleeting stares (and they look away when you look at them), increased difficulty in finding dates, etc.

You will also find the people in Banff/Jasper to be very, very friendly, but this is mostly a facade because they love tourists (think of Switzerland).

You will have to get used to a schizophrenic climate. It can be 15 C on any day of the year. It can also snow on any day of the year. You may (or may not) miss Toronto's reliable 4-season climate.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:42 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,484,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Hi all. I was recently notified that my firm has an opening for my position in Calgary. I wanted to know, how is the city? I have Canadian relatives, but they all live in Toronto and Ottawa. I can spend about $4k a month on rent, but I would not like to spend above $2k. But to my knowledge, housing in Canada is expensive. Also, is Calgary diverse? And is there a decent sized amount of young professionals? How would they treat a black person? Which areas are safe?

I know this is a repost, but no one was responding to it in the Calgary forum.
Calgary is expensive for rent because it's in a country with expensive real estate and has a super charged economy right now. That said, it's not the most expensive city in the country, it's still cheaper then Vancouver, about similar to what you'd pay in Toronto, maybe a little cheaper. 2K will get you some pretty nice digs, you'll be living quite comfortably. Calgary is a safe city, the question isn't which areas are safe, it's which aren't and to be completely honest there really aren't any unsafe neighbourhoods, but of the sketchy neighbourhoods the East Village east of downtown is probably the least reputable, but even it isn't particularly bad.

Calgary is actually quite diverse, it's the third most diverse city in Canada after Vancouver and Toronto in terms of how many people are visible minorities, 30.1% of the population is visible minorities. Like much of Canada, this is due to the large immigration that has occurred from around the world over the last three decades. During, say, the 1988 Olympics the city would have still been more then 90% white English speaking North Americans (there was already a large American minority in the 80's and Americans have always had a presence in Calgary). With so many transplants from around Canada and the world in Calgary right now, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding friends, transplants are always looking to connect with new people and form new networks since they left their old established ones behind.

Yes there are many young professionals in Calgary. It's a major head office town with a strong business community. Calgary is often thought of as a white collar city.

I wouldn't presume to know about how you'll be treated as a black person, I don't think I know the city well enough, I'm just speaking about broad, well known stuff about the city as a Canadian who isn't a Calgarian himself.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
I lived in Calgary for over 10 years and even if it is not as open minded as other big cities in Canada, I dont really think you will find any issues here. It is a much more diverse city now (compared to 2004!) and the city has grown significantly since then.
Housing... can be really expensive, and availability is an issue (no matter whether you are renting or buying). You will end up paying the same amount of money on a monthly basis. Of course, the closer you are to DT the more expensive housing is. In general the city is safe, but the east part of the city is less desirable than the west part. That being said, there are really great communities in all quadrants.
I am an experienced realtor in Calgary, and if you have any questions about housing, please feel free to contact me directly. I will be more than happy to answer them!

Old 01-10-2014, 01:37 PM

244 posts, read 216,421 times
I moved here from Vancouver a few months ago, and while my professional life has improved (the reason for the move), my overall happiness, level of satisfaction and health has dramatically took a dive. I know it's an old thread but think very carefully about lifestyle vs career trajectory when making these choices. I regret mine but it will be another couple of years before I can get out if I am to reap the rewards of the move.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:04 PM

250 posts, read 549,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelten View Post
I moved here from Vancouver a few months ago, and while my professional life has improved (the reason for the move), my overall happiness, level of satisfaction and health has dramatically took a dive. I know it's an old thread but think very carefully about lifestyle vs career trajectory when making these choices. I regret mine but it will be another couple of years before I can get out if I am to reap the rewards of the move.
How has calgary affected your health?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:52 PM

6,461 posts, read 6,475,269 times
I moved from a very diverse Houston to Calgary for 3 years. You will not find a whole lot of black people, as they have more Asian, Indian/Pakistani, and Hispanic minorities. In fact, I never met a black person while I was there. That being said, it is not a racist area and everyone is very polite and nice. You will be fine.

The city is very clean and nice, with many options of apartments and town homes. If you work and live close to the plus 15, that is really great. That's a connecting corridor between buildings that has shops and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada