U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,453,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt call it Quebec bashing its just a news story pointing out the absurdity of Quebecs language laws,If a government is going to enact ridiculous laws its got to own the ridicule that will come with those laws.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 04:10 PM

15,087 posts, read 12,033,285 times
The ROC loves to bash Quebec because they don't understand it. They think we're all radical separatists and nothing could be further from the truth.
When they come to visit, they fall in love.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:22 PM

3,072 posts, read 4,285,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
The ROC loves to bash Quebec because they don't understand it. They think we're all radical separatists and nothing could be further from the truth.
Quite true. Without fail, almost always people who have never been here. The few people who have been here, enjoy it, even if they deal with a 'rude' Quebecker (which is usually just someone who isn't bilingual and is interpreted as 'rude'). I've encountered a few discriminatory comments myself living here (as an anglo) but nowhere near as much as my husband (franco) dealt with when we lived out west.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,655,465 times
Quote:
We don't think you're all radical separatists - we just don't know what you want, anymore. There's a general feeling that every time the ROC acquiesces to a demand, it just fuels further demands. That's added to a general sense of western alienation, and there's the perception that the province of Quebec is treated far better than the others, yet still demands more.

Old 08-15-2013, 05:44 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,504,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
We don't think you're all radical separatists - we just don't know what you want, anymore. There's a general feeling that every time the ROC acquiesces to a demand, it just fuels further demands. That's added to a general sense of western alienation, and there's the perception that the province of Quebec is treated far better than the others, yet still demands more.
My experience living in Western Canada has really been an education on how profoundly misunderstood Quebec is in the West. Everyone seems to uniformly have the same mistaken views on the province and I'm not sure how it happened. Interestingly, Ontarians always seemed to have a better understanding of their neighbours.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:14 PM

18,335 posts, read 10,407,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
My experience living in Western Canada has really been an education on how profoundly misunderstood Quebec is in the West. Everyone seems to uniformly have the same mistaken views on the province and I'm not sure how it happened. Interestingly, Ontarians always seemed to have a better understanding of their neighbours.

Well, speaking as an Ontarian, it hasn't been easy!

I do have to acknowledge the veracity of the earlier post that suggests it's very easy to visit Quebec TODAY and be forced to review and reconsider long held beliefs that were less than falttering.

The past, however, should be relegated to history and perhaps better forgotten.

There is so much to enjoy about that Province and it's people that belies the commonly held beliefs to the contrary.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 PM

12,704 posts, read 8,782,287 times
Quote:
That a pretty blanket statement. I'm sure you mean SOME people in the ROC love to bash etc.
I live in B.C. and rarely hear actually bashing. People do complain about the silliness of some of the language laws and yes some are ignorant of the real Quebec of today and are going by what happened in the 1970's and the 1995 referendum, but that isn't everyone by far.
People here love to visit Quebec, especially Montreal. Sometimes I think the ignorance works both ways.
Several years ago a friend of a friend from Montreal was visiting Vancouver, it was his first time out of Quebec. He loved it here and mentioned that he was surprised that people were nice to him since he imagined they wouldn't like him since he was from Quebec and wouldn't even be able to find a job.
All to his relief, untrue.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:15 AM

1,670 posts, read 1,642,857 times
Most often I hear people talking about how awesome a city Montreal is. Not a whole lot of bashing going on from what I hear.

A small portion of Canadians like to spew vitriol at Quebecers, just the same as a small portion of them like to spew vitriol at us.

2 way street that's never very busy.

Old 08-18-2013, 12:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,373,321 times
My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec AND bash the Quebec separatist movement? If you don't like the immigration and language laws, or whatever else, shouldn't you support them forming their own country?"

Old 08-18-2013, 12:32 PM

34,449 posts, read 41,558,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec AND bash the Quebec separatist movement? If you don't like the immigration and language laws, or whatever else, shouldn't you support them forming their own country?"
Most Canadians dont talk about Quebec,dont much care about Quebec but if one does come across the occasional negativity toward Quebec from some Anglo somewhere in the rest of Canada the under lying reason for it could be you have 6 million Quebecers telling 30 million Canadians that we hate you and your country and we are going to take a sizable portion of your country and leave with it? This in your view should be encouraged,supported and viewed as a positive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or