U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:54 PM

12,669 posts, read 8,737,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec AND bash the Quebec separatist movement? If you don't like the immigration and language laws, or whatever else, shouldn't you support them forming their own country?"
Equating Calgary with all of " English speaking Canada " is a bit of a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:11 PM

171 posts, read 231,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Equating Calgary with all of " English speaking Canada " is a bit of a stretch.
Interesting GDP figures here:
List of Canadian provinces and territories by gross domestic product - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quebec comes quite high

Old 08-18-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyjjj View Post
Ok...I think my point was misunderstood. The poster said "My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec..."

I was questioning why someone would judge ALL of English Speaking Canada's opinions on Quebec, by just living in Calgary? It would of been better if they said
"My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why do Calgarian's ..."

Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 PM

34,356 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Quote:
My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec AND bash the Quebec separatist movement? If you don't like the immigration and language laws, or whatever else, shouldn't you support them forming their own country?"
So a friend of yours noticed an incident of Quebec bashing in Calgary,his conclusion?all Canadians bash Quebec.
I have a brother living in the USA, he's a racist,therefore all Americans are.....

Old 08-18-2013, 02:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,368,416 times
Quote:
Ok...I think my point was misunderstood. The poster said "My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why does English-speaking Canada bash Quebec..."

I was questioning why someone would judge ALL of English Speaking Canada's opinions on Quebec, by just living in Calgary? It would of been better if they said
"My friend lived in Calgary for a few years and noticed the Quebec bashing. His thought: "Why do Calgarian's ..."
Is there a reason why he'd find more grudging of Quebec in Alberta than in the rest of English-speaking Canada? I know he encountered it there. Just relaying his thoughts; I've never even been to western Canada.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Is there a reason why he'd find more grudging of Quebec in Alberta than in the rest of English-speaking Canada? I know he encountered it there. Just relaying his thoughts; I've never even been to western Canada.
Who knows? My point is that it's odd to lump in all of English speaking Canada together. Western Canada covers a huge area and English speaking Canada even bigger, the odds that we all think alike are low, very low.
I would never go to Quebec City and judge all of Quebec by what those residents say about a particular topic.
Wouldn't you think it odd if I said " Quebeckers....blah, blah, blah " when my experience doesn't include the rest of Quebec?

Old 08-18-2013, 02:57 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,368,416 times
Quote:
Who knows? My point is that it's odd to lump in all of English speaking Canada together. Western Canada covers a huge area and English speaking Canada even bigger, the odds that we all think alike are low, very low.
I would never go to Quebec City and judge all of Quebec by what those residents say about a particular topic.
Wouldn't you think it odd if I said " Quebeckers....blah, blah, blah " when my experience doesn't include the rest of Quebec?
Good to know. My friend Jamie could have been completely full of it, as could other posters on this thread who bring up Quebec bashing (the title of the thread). I would just as soon know that Quebec animosity tends to be low in most of Canada.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
I would think that Quebec-bashing (for want of a better word - I don't know if the people would see it as a legitimate discussion as opposed to mindless bashing) would be higher in Alberta, actually, for a variety of reasons. It was in response to Quebec separatism, official bilingualism, and perceived favouritism towards Quebec on the part of the federal government that Alberta, newly flush with oil, began feeling their oats and felt they too had a part to play. A bigger part than the other "have-not" provinces, as they are called.

And therefore many people in other parts of the country have slightly cynical views of both Quebec and Alberta.

Please note that I am not giving my opinion on any of these issues - I would not possibly have enough time. I am relating the background to what may or may not be Quebec bashing in Alberta.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Good to know. My friend Jamie could have been completely full of it, as could other posters on this thread who bring up Quebec bashing (the title of the thread). I would just as soon know that Quebec animosity tends to be low in most of Canada.
I think you be find it difficult or almost impossible to find a Quebecker who feels that they were treated badly in other parts of Canada.
My friends and family from Quebec have never felt it. Of course as netwit has mentioned it doesn't mean that if people were to get into a political discussion about Quebec that it could get interesting. However in the end, we would still all sit down and have a beer together

Old 08-18-2013, 04:05 PM

5,687 posts, read 6,531,390 times
Quote:
I think you be find it difficult or almost impossible to find a Quebecker who feels that they were treated badly in other parts of Canada.
My friends and family from Quebec have never felt it. Of course as netwit has mentioned it doesn't mean that if people were to get into a political discussion about Quebec that it could get interesting. However in the end, we would still all sit down and have a beer together
I did mean political discussions, coffee shop talk, not how Albertans would act towards Quebecers as people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or