U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,354,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I did mean political discussions, coffee shop talk, not how Albertans would act towards Quebecers as people.
Yeah, I think that's a big difference. People are almost never unpleasant with us (my family is very obviously francophone) when travelling in the ROC.

On the other hand if I or my wife are travelling alone we can easily pass for English Canadians because of our lack of accent and that's when you hear some of the nastiness - when people think they are only among English Canadians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:08 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yeah, I think that's a big difference. People are almost never unpleasant with us (my family is very obviously francophone) when travelling in the ROC.

On the other hand if I or my wife are travelling alone we can easily pass for English Canadians because of our lack of accent and that's when you hear some of the nastiness - when people think they are only among English Canadians.
I've found actual nastiness regarding Quebec residents to be relatively rare - most often I've heard it in the oilpatch, where someone's had a bad experience with French workers and has decided to paint an entire populace with the same brush.

Generally, complaints seem to be saved for the province as an entity unto itself - I think, except for the most xenophobic rednecks, we understand that the people and the institution are not the same thing.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
I've found actual nastiness regarding Quebec residents to be relatively rare - most often I've heard it in the oilpatch, where someone's had a bad experience with French workers and has decided to paint an entire populace with the same brush.

Why would someone's experience with workers from France in Alberta negatively influence someone's view of Canadians from Quebec?

Just teasin' ya...

Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Generally, complaints seem to be saved for the province as an entity unto itself - I think, except for the most xenophobic rednecks, we understand that the people and the institution are not the same thing.
I am not sure that's entirely true. "Quebec" even though it is a political entity as opposed to an identifiable group of people, is very often a code word for "French Canadians" - even outside Quebec, astonishingly. In that sense, it's very convenient to use in order to avoid all sorts of unpleasant labels for yourself (not referring to you specifically here SJ).

On the local news in Ottawa a couple of years ago there was a report about people in the eastern Ontario town of Cornwall that were upset about a "Quebec" intrusion in their city involving, of all things, a new public library.

Why were they irate? Because the library's sign said:

"bibliothèque publique de CORNWALL public library"

So all those que's and b's, even though they have nothing to do with Quebec of course, made (some) Cornwallers see red.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:56 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,705,518 times
Very interesting that I can read a post here and that can crystallize an expereince we had in Quebec.

Recently we visited Quebec City and we did notice a marked difference in the attitude of speaking English to non-natives from many years ago where the language 'issue' was extremely vociferous and predominant bone of contention in Quebec. We did not speak French as noted and felt very uncomfortable within the city as all that went on. Now it did occur at that time that almost everybody who we met just spoke French to us. English was hardly used.. You learned French quickly!...;-)... Now was that the case then say in '75? From the looks of it, English has grown since then. Now today when I did ask 'Parlez vous Anglais?'. It was almost a unanimous 'Oui'. Almost everyone spoke English with us. Also, and this is our impression, the fact of more English spoken did not appear to reduce 'French-Canadianess' in my eyes. The cadences of the French language went on of course around us. But this is from travellers not citoyens who live and breathe the city and province.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,653,878 times
Quote:
I am not sure that's entirely true. "Quebec" even though it is a political entity as opposed to an identifiable group of people, is very often a code word for "French Canadians" - even outside Quebec, astonishingly. In that sense, it's very convenient to use in order to avoid all sorts of unpleasant labels for yourself (not referring to you specifically here SJ).

On the local news in Ottawa a couple of years ago there was a report about people in the eastern Ontario town of Cornwall that were upset about a "Quebec" intrusion in their city involving, of all things, a new public library.

Why were they irate? Because the library's sign said:

"bibliothèque publique de CORNWALL public library"

So all those que's and b's, even though they have nothing to do with Quebec of course, made (some) Cornwallers see red.
Fair enough. I've never seen it like that, though I don't think we really have situations like that out here. Mostly, our dealings with French Canadians are with tourists or workers who've relocated.

Quote:
Why would someone's experience with workers from France in Alberta negatively influence someone's view of Canadians from Quebec?

Just teasin' ya...
French Canadian workers - not that most of the rednecks who complain would know the difference.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM

34,384 posts, read 41,480,724 times
In my travels across Canada the issue of Quebec never comes up unless i bring up the subject, which i do as i'm considered somewhat of a motor mouth who just never shuts up ,
While back around the last referendum there was much hostility from ROC toward those in favor of Quebec separation over the years i've noticed the attitude has changed to more of a couldnt care less attitude and those that do have something to say on the issue are now sounding much more like these responders.http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...-quebec-to-go/

Old 08-19-2013, 11:18 AM

As I said earlier in the thread, my family and I are basically never targeted by francophone or Quebec bashing when in other parts of Canada. So if it does exist today in the form of something people do to other people's faces it is a very very minor phenomenon.

But I do know it's out there because of what I occasionally overhear, or what people tell me when they think I am not a francophone because I have no discernable accent (especially not after a week or so spent speaking English all day if I am somewhere in the ROC for work) and my first name is an interchangeable one in English or French like Paul or Patrick.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,079,658 times
Any of the complaints you hear in the west have little to do with Quebec "bashing" and more of envy/displeasure regarding the disproportionate weight La Belle Province has in Confederation, and more calls for other Provinces to have the same options as PQ when it comes to determining their place and programs within their own Province.

Overall, Alberta and Quebec have far more in common than most people would think.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Any of the complaints you hear in the west have little to do with Quebec "bashing" and more of envy/displeasure regarding the disproportionate weight La Belle Province has in Confederation, and more calls for other Provinces to have the same options as PQ when it comes to determining their place and programs within their own Province.

Overall, Alberta and Quebec have far more in common than most people would think.
Very true, if they could each get over the "Frenchy freeloader" and "redneck cowboy" stereotypes they could rule Canada together!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or